Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Newbie -> Easy question I am sure

Newbie -> Easy question I am sure

Sean Berry

I have seen a lot of posts on newsgroups, but can not figure it out.

How do I take an avi, and convert it to a playable DVD??

I am getting married, and as a favor to my future father-in-law I created a
a movie file in Adobe Premier which was a collection of my fiacee's
childhood videos. The output is an avi.

I want to take that avi, and make it into a playable DVD, so he can play it
in his DVD player and project it onto a screen.

But, I can not figure out how to get it working as a playable DVD. I have
tried a few different programs, but none of them are making a DVD that I can
play in a player.

Thanks for any help.

Gerry \(The Moth\)

Check out http://www.videohelp.com/ its a good source of information and
resources.

Are you sure the DVD Player can play DVD-R's, some DVD Players can't handle
them. Check your DVD Player manual to make sure it can.

--
Gerry aka (The MOTH)
SG1 Edinburgh

'Time is short. Life is cruel. Its up to us to change, this town called
malice'
"Sean Berry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> I have seen a lot of posts on newsgroups, but can not figure it out.
>
> How do I take an avi, and convert it to a playable DVD??
>
> I am getting married, and as a favor to my future father-in-law I created

> a movie file in Adobe Premier which was a collection of my fiacee's
> childhood videos. The output is an avi.
>
> I want to take that avi, and make it into a playable DVD, so he can play

it
> in his DVD player and project it onto a screen.
>
> But, I can not figure out how to get it working as a playable DVD. I have
> tried a few different programs, but none of them are making a DVD that I

can
> play in a player.
>
> Thanks for any help.

Sean Berry

"Gerry (The Moth)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:40f8fb4e$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Check out http://www.videohelp.com/ its a good source of information and
> resources.
>
> Are you sure the DVD Player can play DVD-R's, some DVD Players can't

handle
> them. Check your DVD Player manual to make sure it can.

Hadn't thought of this. The DVD player it will eventually go on is
definatly top-of-the-line and no more than two months old.

I do not have a DVD player, so I was using my friends X-Box which can play
DVDs... whether it can play DVD-R's ... Don't know.

Thanks for the input.

> --
> Gerry aka (The MOTH)
> SG1 Edinburgh
>
> 'Time is short. Life is cruel. Its up to us to change, this town called
> malice'
> "Sean Berry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > I have seen a lot of posts on newsgroups, but can not figure it out.
> >
> > How do I take an avi, and convert it to a playable DVD??
> >
> > I am getting married, and as a favor to my future father-in-law I

created
> > a movie file in Adobe Premier which was a collection of my fiacee's
> > childhood videos. The output is an avi.
> >
> > I want to take that avi, and make it into a playable DVD, so he can play

> it
> > in his DVD player and project it onto a screen.
> >
> > But, I can not figure out how to get it working as a playable DVD. I

have
> > tried a few different programs, but none of them are making a DVD that I

> can
> > play in a player.
> >
> > Thanks for any help.

Bill

Ulead Video Studio 8 will work with AVI files, it can convert them to DVD,
VCD, and several other formats. Creation of basic DVD menus is possible with
the software as well.

It's a big download (but possible even with a 56k connection, I just left my
system running overnight), but Ulead offers a fully functional, 30 day trial
of the software at:

http://www.ulead.com/vs/trial.htm

For those who prefer not to tackle the download, Ulead also offers a CD-Rom
containing trials of all of their software products.

As another poster noted, DVD R and RW discs will not function in some DVD
players. Adding to the complication, some players can handle DVD-R discs,
but not DVD+R discs, and vice-versa.

"Sean Berry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> I have seen a lot of posts on newsgroups, but can not figure it out.
>
> How do I take an avi, and convert it to a playable DVD??
>
> I am getting married, and as a favor to my future father-in-law I created

> a movie file in Adobe Premier which was a collection of my fiacee's
> childhood videos. The output is an avi.
>
> I want to take that avi, and make it into a playable DVD, so he can play

it
> in his DVD player and project it onto a screen.
>
> But, I can not figure out how to get it working as a playable DVD. I have
> tried a few different programs, but none of them are making a DVD that I

can
> play in a player.
>
> Thanks for any help.

Sean Berry

news:UJcKc.1261$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...
> Ulead Video Studio 8 will work with AVI files, it can convert them to DVD,
> VCD, and several other formats. Creation of basic DVD menus is possible

with
> the software as well.
>
> It's a big download (but possible even with a 56k connection, I just left

my
> system running overnight), but Ulead offers a fully functional, 30 day

trial
> of the software at:
>
> http://www.ulead.com/vs/trial.htm
>
> For those who prefer not to tackle the download, Ulead also offers a

CD-Rom
> containing trials of all of their software products.
>
> As another poster noted, DVD R and RW discs will not function in some DVD
> players. Adding to the complication, some players can handle DVD-R discs,
> but not DVD+R discs, and vice-versa.

Thanks for the info. I will have to check into all of that. I am using
DVD-RW discs.

Hopefully I can get this working in the next month... six weeks till the
wedding.