Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Testement of Dr. Mabuse - Criterion vs. Image

Testement of Dr. Mabuse - Criterion vs. Image

CBoldman

How does the new Criterion edition stack up against the Image release of a
couple years ago? I notice they both have commentary by David Kalat. Are they
the same commentary? I'm trying to weigh whether the Criterion is worth the
purchase since I own the previous one.

Bill Coleman

Actually, the main feature is 2 different movies. The Image disc (actually
from All Day Entertainment, though
distributed by Image) is the remake from the early sixties. The Criterion
disc (which is great, by the way) includes a
very nice, restored version of the 1932 print in original German with
subtitles. The commentaries by Kalat are different.
It should also be noted though that the all Day DVD includes, as an extra, a
badly edited, dubbed print of the original
1932 film, which apparently is in bad shape (I only have the Criterion disc,
so I cannot verify this, but that's what I have read).

Anyway, it would not be a bad thing to have both of them!

Bill Coleman

"CBoldman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> How does the new Criterion edition stack up against the Image release of a
> couple years ago? I notice they both have commentary by David Kalat. Are

they
> the same commentary? I'm trying to weigh whether the Criterion is worth

the
> purchase since I own the previous one.

jayembee

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)NSPAM (CBoldman) wrote:

> How does the new Criterion edition stack up against the
> Image release of a couple years ago? I notice they both
> have commentary by David Kalat. Are they the same commentary?
> I'm trying to weigh whether the Criterion is worth the
> purchase since I own the previous one.

Different films.

There are four Mabuse DVDs in release. In chronological order
(of film release):

(1) DR MABUSE, THE GAMBLER, the 1922 silent by Fritz Lang,
released by Image in 2001.

(2) THE TESTAMENT OF DR MABUSE, the 1932 sequel by Lang, just
released by Criterion. This release also includes the rare
alternate French version filmed at the same time as the German
one.

(3) THE 1000 EYES OF DR MABUSE, a 1960 film by Lang, released
by All-Day/Image in 2000 under the banner "The Diabolical
Cinema of Dr. Mabuse, Volume 1".

(4) A simultaneously-released "Volume 2" from All-Day/Image
that included (a) THE CRIMES OF DR MABUSE, which is an
edited-down, English-dubbed 1952 version of TESTAMENT, and
(b) a 1962 remake of TESTAMENT by Werner Klingler.

All three Image releases have commentary by Kalat, so I'm not
sure which one you're referring to as "the Image release of a
couple of years ago". In any case, the Criterion release doesn't
duplicate anything, so it's definitely worth getting.

What's odd, though, is that Criterion says that their release
is presented in the (odd) original ratio of 1.19:1, which should
be "pillar-boxed". On my TV, it fills the screen. I know that
my set overscans some, but it shouldn't overscan *that* much.

Does anyone else have this release? If so, is it pillar-boxed?

-- jayembee

CBoldman

<< (E-Mail Removed)NSPAM (CBoldman) wrote:

> How does the new Criterion edition stack up against the
> Image release of a couple years ago? I notice they both
> have commentary by David Kalat. Are they the same commentary?
> I'm trying to weigh whether the Criterion is worth the
> purchase since I own the previous one.

Different films.

There are four Mabuse DVDs in release. In chronological order
(of film release): >><BR><BR>

Thanks to all for the information. I'll place the order.

Hamilcar Barca

In article <(E-Mail Removed) > (Thu, 15 Jul
2004 15:49:50 -0700), jayembee wrote:

> (1) DR MABUSE, THE GAMBLER, the 1922 silent by Fritz Lang,
> released by Image in 2001.

How is the quality on this release?

> What's odd, though, is that Criterion says that their release
> is presented in the (odd) original ratio of 1.19:1, which should
> be "pillar-boxed".
>
> Does anyone else have this release? If so, is it pillar-boxed?

Yes, it's pillar-boxed.

ML-78

jayembee wrote:

> There are four Mabuse DVDs in release. In chronological order
> (of film release):
>
> (1) DR MABUSE, THE GAMBLER, the 1922 silent by Fritz Lang,
> released by Image in 2001.

This is available through both Transit and Eureka in a much improved
version (more complete and new restoration).

Both companies also released "Das Testament des Dr. Mabuse" (1933),
using the same materials but different transfers. I don't know how they
compare to the Criterion release (also based on the same material).

ML-78

Smiley

ML-78 wrote:
> jayembee wrote:
>

>>There are four Mabuse DVDs in release. In chronological order
>>(of film release):
>>
>>(1) DR MABUSE, THE GAMBLER, the 1922 silent by Fritz Lang,
>>released by Image in 2001.

> This is available through both Transit and Eureka in a much improved
> version (more complete and new restoration).

A comparison between Region 1 and Region 2 can be found here:

http://207.136.67.23/film/DVDCompare...usegambler.htm

> Both companies also released "Das Testament des Dr. Mabuse" (1933),
> using the same materials but different transfers. I don't know how they
> compare to the Criterion release (also based on the same material).

Comparison here:

http://www.celtoslavica.de/chiaroscu...m/testmab.html

> ML-78

jayembee

Hamilcar Barca <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> jayembee wrote:
>
>> (1) DR MABUSE, THE GAMBLER, the 1922 silent by Fritz Lang,
>> released by Image in 2001.

> How is the quality on this release?

It won't blow your socks off, but it's probably as good as
we're likely to see it without a massive restoration effort
similar to what was done with METROPOLIS.

>> What's odd, though, is that Criterion says that their release
>> is presented in the (odd) original ratio of 1.19:1, which
>> should be "pillar-boxed".
>>
>> Does anyone else have this release? If so, is it pillar-boxed?

> Yes, it's pillar-boxed.

Hunh. I guess my TV *does* overscan that much.

Of course, it only *now* occurs to me that I should've played
it on the laptop with WinDVD to check...

-- jayembee

Video Flyer

On 7/16/04 2:37 PM, in article
(E-Mail Removed), "jayembee"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hamilcar Barca <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> jayembee wrote:
>>
>>> (1) DR MABUSE, THE GAMBLER, the 1922 silent by Fritz Lang,
>>> released by Image in 2001.

>> How is the quality on this release?

> It won't blow your socks off, but it's probably as good as
> we're likely to see it without a massive restoration effort
> similar to what was done with METROPOLIS.

Slight tangent here...sorry. Which of the Metropolis releases out there are
actually worth picking up? I've seen or heard of a large number of DVD
releases of this film.....

Neal

Joshua Zyber

"Video Flyer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:BD1D9B88.185DA%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Slight tangent here...sorry. Which of the Metropolis releases out

there are
> actually worth picking up? I've seen or heard of a large number of DVD
> releases of this film.....

You want the "Restored Authorized Edition" from Kino Video. Don't bother
with anything else.