Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > copy protection

copy protection

mike avera

i taped a friend of mine several seasons worth of X-Files episodes off
the dvds and he told me they are near unwatchable and suggests the dvds
had some form of copy protection. can anyone shed some light on this? is
there a way around it?

Electric Fan Club

"mike avera" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> i taped a friend of mine several seasons worth of X-Files episodes off
> the dvds and he told me they are near unwatchable and suggests the dvds
> had some form of copy protection. can anyone shed some light on this? is
> there a way around it?

DVD's are generally copy protected using CSS and macrovision. To copy to
tape you need a macrovision remover. To copy to another DVD then AnyDVD or
DVDregionfree will do the job. Cheapest way is to copy the CVD to a RW disk
using the latter and then copy that disk to a tape.

Ian.

Mark B.

"mike avera" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> i taped a friend of mine several seasons worth of X-Files episodes off
> the dvds and he told me they are near unwatchable and suggests the dvds
> had some form of copy protection. can anyone shed some light on this? is
> there a way around it?

DVDs are copy protected. The way around it is to tell your friend to stop
being so cheap and buy his own set.

Mark

Mark Spatny

mike avera,(E-Mail Removed) says...
> i taped a friend of mine several seasons worth of X-Files episodes off
> the dvds and he told me they are near unwatchable and suggests the dvds
> had some form of copy protection.

You taped SEVERAL SEASONS before you figured this out? You should have
checked the first tape before moving on. It would have saved you a lot
of trouble.

Biz

"mike avera" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> i taped a friend of mine several seasons worth of X-Files episodes off
> the dvds and he told me they are near unwatchable and suggests the dvds
> had some form of copy protection. can anyone shed some light on this? is
> there a way around it?

macrovision

You cant just tape DVDs.....without finding a way around it. Its put there
for a reason.

Bill

> You cant just tape DVDs.....without finding a way around it. Its put

there
> for a reason.

You can with a Philips DVP642 player, which sells for under $70.00.
Macrovision is disabled by default.

Justin

Bill wrote on [Wed, 14 Jul 2004 16:04:49 GMT]:

>> You cant just tape DVDs.....without finding a way around it. Its put

> there
>> for a reason.
>>

> You can with a Philips DVP642 player, which sells for under $70.00.
> Macrovision is disabled by default.

Or use an older VCR

mike avera

well, the reason i had taped several seasons without checking them is
that i had previously taped him a bunch of Twilight Zone eps from dvd
with no problem. those had turned out fine.
the vcr i'm using is about 6 years old. it's one of those vcr inside the
tv dealies.

Biz

news:BQcJc.7296$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...

> > You cant just tape DVDs.....without finding a way around it. Its put

> there
> > for a reason.
> >

> You can with a Philips DVP642 player, which sells for under $70.00.
> Macrovision is disabled by default.

That WOULD be finding a way around it IMO Bill. Although I find it hard to
beleive that Philips can sell those with MV disabled by default. That is
against the DVD licensing agreement that all player manufacturers are
supposed to be following

mike avera

so...that Philips works or it doesnt?
and exactly how old of a vcr would i need to find? 80's? early 90's?