Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Can corrupt disc harm standalone player?

Can corrupt disc harm standalone player?

bernard spilman

Just wondering if a disc containing corrupt files can do any
lasting damage to a standalone DVD player. Not physical,
like a marred surface scratching the head, but logical damage,
to the software (CMOS?) of the player.
Has anyone ever heard of such a thing? Thanks.
WS

Biz

"bernard spilman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:eKAIc.150807$(E-Mail Removed) .com...
> Just wondering if a disc containing corrupt files can do any
> lasting damage to a standalone DVD player. Not physical,
> like a marred surface scratching the head, but logical damage,
> to the software (CMOS?) of the player.
> Has anyone ever heard of such a thing? Thanks.
> WS

My instincts would say no way, unless the player was firmware upgradeable by
disk, and teh disk contained routines to change the players firmware.

luminos

"Biz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cRAIc.86875$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "bernard spilman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:eKAIc.150807$(E-Mail Removed) .com...
> > Just wondering if a disc containing corrupt files can do any
> > lasting damage to a standalone DVD player. Not physical,
> > like a marred surface scratching the head, but logical damage,
> > to the software (CMOS?) of the player.
> > Has anyone ever heard of such a thing? Thanks.
> > WS
> >

> My instincts would say no way, unless the player was firmware upgradeable

by
> disk, and teh disk contained routines to change the players firmware.

If the player's ROM has a bad recovery routine, the machine can become
locked up. Usually a quick power down and up when pushing the eject button
will fix that.