Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > 'superbit' DVD's versus ordinary DVD's... how much better?

Reply
Thread Tools

'superbit' DVD's versus ordinary DVD's... how much better?

 
 
Mike
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-11-2004
having never actually seen one of these 'superbit' DVD's I'm just curious to
know how much better they look compared to your average DVD. Is it very
noticable or not?

thanks
Mike


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
What The!
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-11-2004
on good quality equipment, yes, it is a noticable difference. Some DVD's
more than others.


"Mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ccrcmi$3uh$(E-Mail Removed)...
> having never actually seen one of these 'superbit' DVD's I'm just curious

to
> know how much better they look compared to your average DVD. Is it very
> noticable or not?
>
> thanks
> Mike
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Mark Jones
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-11-2004
"What The!" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:k%aIc.89400$(E-Mail Removed)...
> on good quality equipment, yes, it is a noticable difference. Some DVD's
> more than others.

This is certainly true. You have to have a really good TV
and audio system or you probably won't be able to tell
the difference.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Writer R5
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-11-2004
Dear Mike:

A lot really depends on both the title and the equipment. Generally speaking I
prefer to Superbit discs to their counterparts. Sometimes the Superbit is a
definite upgrade all the way around because the previous version was released
quite early in the DVD format days. I also take into consideration what is the
most important to me, which is picture and sound quality. I love extras, but
sometimes I find that I probably will never listen to view certain bonus
features on various discs again because I'm just not as interested as I would
be for another title.

I also prefer DTS sound to DD so I like the Superbits because they offer that
option on titles that had not previously offered that option. Sometimes I'll
keep both the SE or DE as well as the Superbit if I really love the film and
extras.

So as you can see it is very subjective, but if you want the best sound and
picture quality from a CTHE DVD and you don't mind sacrificing extra features
or don't care about them at all, then the Superbit series is worth a look.

Mark
GENRE ONLINE.NET: The Web Resource For Home Video Entertainment & More
http://www.genreonline.net
Mark A. Rivera - Writer/Reviewer/Editor/Webmaster
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
 
Reply With Quote
 
Mike
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-11-2004
thanks for the info, very helpful! can you explain the difference between
DTS sound and DD sound? I think I only have one DVD with DTS and that's Die
Hard Special Edition.

thanks
Mike

"Writer R5" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dear Mike:
>
> A lot really depends on both the title and the equipment. Generally

speaking I
> prefer to Superbit discs to their counterparts. Sometimes the Superbit is

a
> definite upgrade all the way around because the previous version was

released
> quite early in the DVD format days. I also take into consideration what is

the
> most important to me, which is picture and sound quality. I love extras,

but
> sometimes I find that I probably will never listen to view certain bonus
> features on various discs again because I'm just not as interested as I

would
> be for another title.
>
> I also prefer DTS sound to DD so I like the Superbits because they offer

that
> option on titles that had not previously offered that option. Sometimes

I'll
> keep both the SE or DE as well as the Superbit if I really love the film

and
> extras.
>
> So as you can see it is very subjective, but if you want the best sound

and
> picture quality from a CTHE DVD and you don't mind sacrificing extra

features
> or don't care about them at all, then the Superbit series is worth a look.
>
> Mark
> GENRE ONLINE.NET: The Web Resource For Home Video Entertainment & More
> http://www.genreonline.net
> Mark A. Rivera - Writer/Reviewer/Editor/Webmaster
> (E-Mail Removed)



 
Reply With Quote
 
Dick Sidbury
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-11-2004
Mike wrote:

> having never actually seen one of these 'superbit' DVD's I'm just curious to
> know how much better they look compared to your average DVD. Is it very
> noticable or not?
>
> thanks
> Mike
>
>

My collection has 4 superbit movies in it (I think. I can't make DVD
profiler list only my superbit titles.) Charlie's Angels, Panic Room,
Adaptation, and Lawrence of Arabia. You can only make a rational
comparison when you're comparing a superbit dvd with the same movie not
in superbit form. Lawrence of Arabia is the only one of the above that
I have in both forms. I don't think Panic room or Adaptation were
available in non-superbit format. I don't really think that Superbit
makes it any better BUT sometimes there are changes in addition to
superbit that does make a difference. the Superbit version of Lawrence
of Arabia is clearly (IMHO) superior to the regular version, but that's
not so much because of superbit as it is because the print from which
the superbit was made has better color balance. Superbit uses DTS which
some people believe sounds better than DD. But once again it's hard to
say because this could be because of a different sound mix. In general
I think the difference is subtle enough that I'd prefer the extras that
are likely to come on the non-superbit version.

My main TV is a 61" sony 4:3 with anamorphic squeeze connected with a
separate audio system and my bedroom TV is a Samsung with anamorphic
squeeze that can be changed to hi-def (without the hidef tuner) by
entering a secret code via the remote control. It may be the case that
if you have very high end equipment that you'll be able to see a difference.

Also I'd emphasize that Superbit is a tradename so only Columbia
releases are in superbit. There are lots of movies from other studios
that are visually and sonically the equal of superbit DVDs.

All IMHO.
YMMV.

dick
 
Reply With Quote
 
Pug Fugley
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-11-2004

"Mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ccrkgs$2i2$(E-Mail Removed)...
> thanks for the info, very helpful! can you explain the difference between
> DTS sound and DD sound? I think I only have one DVD with DTS and that's

Die
> Hard Special Edition.


DTS sounds better. It's less compressed and has a more dynamic sound.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Rutgar
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-11-2004
On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 17:22:44 GMT, "Pug Fugley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>
>"Mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:ccrkgs$2i2$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> thanks for the info, very helpful! can you explain the difference between
>> DTS sound and DD sound? I think I only have one DVD with DTS and that's

>Die
>> Hard Special Edition.

>
>DTS sounds better. It's less compressed and has a more dynamic sound.
>


Horse ****. There's not a dime worth of difference between a quality
DD sound track, and a quality DTS sound track.

- Rutgar
 
Reply With Quote
 
Brian The Demolition Man Little
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-11-2004
Rutgar wrote:
> Horse ****. There's not a dime worth of difference between a quality
> DD sound track, and a quality DTS sound track.


That's funny since nearly every disc I have that has DD and DTS I can
hear a clear difference between the two.

--
Brian The Demolition Man Little
TNAImpact.com Columnist & Message Board Mod
Want "Fullscreen DVDs"... Buy VHS and get your
filthy hands off of my Widescreen DVD! Widescreen.org


 
Reply With Quote
 
Pug Fugley
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-11-2004

"Rutgar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 17:22:44 GMT, "Pug Fugley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >
> >"Mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:ccrkgs$2i2$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> thanks for the info, very helpful! can you explain the difference

between
> >> DTS sound and DD sound? I think I only have one DVD with DTS and

that's
> >Die
> >> Hard Special Edition.

> >
> >DTS sounds better. It's less compressed and has a more dynamic sound.
> >

>
> Horse ****. There's not a dime worth of difference between a quality
> DD sound track, and a quality DTS sound track.


Anyone who says that has shitty equipment. I can easily hear the improvement
in a DTS track.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: How include a large array? Edward A. Falk C Programming 1 04-04-2013 08:07 PM
Re: Mozilla versus IE versus Opera versus Safari Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo Firefox 0 05-08-2008 12:56 PM
equal? versus eql? versus == versus === verus <=> Paul Butcher Ruby 12 11-28-2007 06:06 AM
Add Session varaible in an ordinary class RonL ASP .Net 1 04-02-2006 01:01 AM
Constructors are having a special signature, different from ordinary member functions ? Razvan Java 1 09-30-2004 06:12 PM



Advertisments