Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > How to add a laptop to an existing secured wireless network

How to add a laptop to an existing secured wireless network

=?Utf-8?B?RG9uIE9sbXN0ZWFk?=

Hello,
About 4 months ago a friend that lives far from us set up a
security-enabled wireless network for us. I just bought a new Dell laptop
for my wife, and we have been unable to this point to get the new laptop to
access the network. I was wondering if anyone on the thread might have any
advice for us. Thank you.
Don Olmstead

On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 12:03:02 -0800, Don Olmstead <Don
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> About 4 months ago a friend that lives far from us set up a
>security-enabled wireless network for us. I just bought a new Dell laptop
>for my wife, and we have been unable to this point to get the new laptop to
>access the network. I was wondering if anyone on the thread might have any
>advice for us. Thank you.

Without knowing what you've already tried, I'd say go to
these 2 web sites and read http://www.ezlan.net
http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Sectio...le64-page1.php

Do you know (don't post here!) the WPA or WEP key?
Do you know the address?
Do you know the network and computer names?

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
Don Olmstead <Don (E-Mail Removed)> typed:
> Hello,
> About 4 months ago a friend that lives far from us set up a
> security-enabled wireless network for us. I just bought a new Dell
> laptop for my wife, and we have been unable to this point to get the
> new laptop to access the network. I was wondering if anyone on the
> thread might have any advice for us. Thank you.
> Don Olmstead

Did your friend tell you what the wireless encryption/security setup was?
Write it down on a piece of paper, etc? Have you tried asing him/her?

If you don't know the settings and can't get in touch with your friend, you
will have to reset them. Since you have access now, as long as you know the
router's password you should easily be able to get into the router (I'd do
this on a wired computer, btw) and change the key (WEP or WPA or whatever it
uses). If you can't even get that far, you will have to do a hard
reset/restore to factory defaults - you may wish to find another (local!)
friend to help you out with this.