Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > DVD play "Stutter"...?

DVD play "Stutter"...?

Kenneth

Howdy,

I am having an intermittent problem playing DVDs on my Dell Latitude
notebook.

Often, when I attempt to play a DVD the audio and video stop for a
moment every 4 or 5 seconds.

At first, I thought that this was due to insufficient free disk space,
but that seems not to be the case. Also, the problem is truly
intermittent (with the same DVD).

What might I do to solve the problem?

Thanks for any tips,

--
Kenneth

Nosferax

"FAQmeister" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de
news:cck057$9ma$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Kenneth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)
> > Howdy,
> >
> > I am having an intermittent problem playing DVDs on my Dell Latitude
> > notebook.
> >
> > Often, when I attempt to play a DVD the audio and video stop for a
> > moment every 4 or 5 seconds.
> >
> > At first, I thought that this was due to insufficient free disk space,
> > but that seems not to be the case. Also, the problem is truly
> > intermittent (with the same DVD).
> >
> > What might I do to solve the problem?
> >
> > Thanks for any tips,

Check to see if you have DMA activated for this drive. Sometimes that help.
Also, I had the same problem once with a Compaq notebook and heat was the
problem. I was watching a movie in my bed (no, not porn!) and there wasn't
enouogh airflow to cool the machine.

FAQmeister

"Kenneth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)
> Howdy,
>
> I am having an intermittent problem playing DVDs on my Dell Latitude
> notebook.
>
> Often, when I attempt to play a DVD the audio and video stop for a
> moment every 4 or 5 seconds.
>
> At first, I thought that this was due to insufficient free disk space,
> but that seems not to be the case. Also, the problem is truly
> intermittent (with the same DVD).
>
> What might I do to solve the problem?
>
> Thanks for any tips,

It's possible that you have stuff running in the background (like
trojans) that are interfering with playback, but if you don't notice a
problem with any other programs then that's probably not it. Wouldn't
hurt to download and run Ad Aware and Spybot though if you don't already
have them.

If you're having the same problems with more than one DVD that's a sign
of a crappy DVD player or a real problem with a good DVD player. Has it
ever worked properly? If so, I suppose you could try spraying a little
compressed air into it. If that doesn't help, the only way I know of
completely eliminating a software issue is by doing a clean install of
Windows and running some tests. If you eliminate the software then
you're left with a bad DVD player.

Or you can just take it to a repair place for evaluation and let them
decide.
--
Buford T. Justice
The alt.video.dvd faq is located at:

Grand Inquisitor

Well, a DVD played on anything apart from a dedicated DVD player is a
compromise. It seems to be the same with DVD-ROM-based players, like
the cheap imports or the PS2s, X-Boxs, etc., that they can only take so
much constant playing (when running software off a DVD-ROM the disc is
not *always* spinning like during DVD playback), and movie-watching is a
real workout for those drives. Every friend of mine who had a PS2 and
used it for DVD playback was in need of a new PS2 after a few years.

I suspect your PC's DVD-ROM drive could just be wearing out. Or maybe
the lens needs cleaning (although some experts say DVD lenses don't need
cleaning or alignment, or that you shouldn't use a CD lens cleaner as
the DVD lens is a different shape and could be damaged, or something).

IF you ultimately discover your drive has worn out, I'd do some research
and get a more dependable one.

--

"If you examined a hundred people who had lost their faith in
Christianity, I wonder how many of them would turn out to have reasoned

--C.S. Lewis

Kenneth

On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 17:22:41 GMT, "Nosferax"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"FAQmeister" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de
>news:cck057$9ma$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "Kenneth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)
>> > Howdy,
>> >
>> > I am having an intermittent problem playing DVDs on my Dell Latitude
>> > notebook.
>> >
>> > Often, when I attempt to play a DVD the audio and video stop for a
>> > moment every 4 or 5 seconds.
>> >
>> > At first, I thought that this was due to insufficient free disk space,
>> > but that seems not to be the case. Also, the problem is truly
>> > intermittent (with the same DVD).
>> >
>> > What might I do to solve the problem?
>> >
>> > Thanks for any tips,

>Check to see if you have DMA activated for this drive. Sometimes that help.
>Also, I had the same problem once with a Compaq notebook and heat was the
>problem. I was watching a movie in my bed (no, not porn!) and there wasn't
>enouogh airflow to cool the machine.

Howdy,

I just read the helpfile about DMA. but cannot figure out how I would
know if it is activated for the DVD drive in question. I am running
Win 2k Pro.

Might you assist?

Thanks,

--
Kenneth

Grand Inquisitor

Nosferax wrote:
> Check to see if you have DMA activated for this drive. Sometimes that help.
> Also, I had the same problem once with a Compaq notebook and heat was the
> problem. I was watching a movie in my bed (no, not porn!) and there wasn't
> enouogh airflow to cool the machine.

Movie watching in bed, now there's something I miss (my bedroom is a bad
place for a tv).

I used to put in a six-hour tape of MST3K episodes and go to sleep
letting it run.

--

"If you examined a hundred people who had lost their faith in
Christianity, I wonder how many of them would turn out to have reasoned
out of it by honest argument? Do not most people simply drift away?"

--C.S. Lewis

Kenneth

On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 10:27:01 -0700, "FAQmeister"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Kenneth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)
>> Howdy,
>>
>> I am having an intermittent problem playing DVDs on my Dell Latitude
>> notebook.
>>
>> Often, when I attempt to play a DVD the audio and video stop for a
>> moment every 4 or 5 seconds.
>>
>> At first, I thought that this was due to insufficient free disk space,
>> but that seems not to be the case. Also, the problem is truly
>> intermittent (with the same DVD).
>>
>> What might I do to solve the problem?
>>
>> Thanks for any tips,

>It's possible that you have stuff running in the background (like
>trojans) that are interfering with playback, but if you don't notice a
>problem with any other programs then that's probably not it. Wouldn't
>hurt to download and run Ad Aware and Spybot though if you don't already
>have them.
>
>If you're having the same problems with more than one DVD that's a sign
>of a crappy DVD player or a real problem with a good DVD player. Has it
>ever worked properly? If so, I suppose you could try spraying a little
>compressed air into it. If that doesn't help, the only way I know of
>completely eliminating a software issue is by doing a clean install of
>Windows and running some tests. If you eliminate the software then
>you're left with a bad DVD player.
>
>Or you can just take it to a repair place for evaluation and let them
>decide.

Howdy,

I thank you for your suggestions, but should have mentioned in my OP
that I regularly run Ad Aware, Spyware Blaster etc.

The fact that the "stutters" are very uniform in timing leads me to
believe that it is not a mechanical problem.

I will keep looking...

All the best,

--
Kenneth

Nosferax

"Kenneth" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 17:22:41 GMT, "Nosferax"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> >"FAQmeister" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de
> >news:cck057$9ma$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> "Kenneth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)

space,

> >Check to see if you have DMA activated for this drive. Sometimes that

help.
> >Also, I had the same problem once with a Compaq notebook and heat was the
> >problem. I was watching a movie in my bed (no, not porn!) and there

wasn't
> >enouogh airflow to cool the machine.
> >

> Howdy,
>
> I just read the helpfile about DMA. but cannot figure out how I would
> know if it is activated for the DVD drive in question. I am running
> Win 2k Pro.
>
> Might you assist?
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Kenneth
>
> If you email... Please remove the "SPAMLESS."

-Right click my computer.
- Property
- Hardware
- Hardware manager
- ATA/ATAPI IDE controller
- Principal or secondary IDE Chanel
- Property
- Advance

Now, check if DMA is activated for those channel.

Nosferax

> Movie watching in bed, now there's something I miss (my bedroom is a bad
> place for a tv).
>
> I used to put in a six-hour tape of MST3K episodes and go to sleep
> letting it run.
>
> --

A laptop is really nice for this stuff. I did a buffy marathon once like
that once I was sick. The whole 7 season worth in bed. I got up only to eat,
shower and for bathroom break.

NightStalker

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Howdy,
>
> I am having an intermittent problem playing DVDs on my Dell Latitude
> notebook.
>
> Often, when I attempt to play a DVD the audio and video stop for a
> moment every 4 or 5 seconds.
>
> At first, I thought that this was due to insufficient free disk space,
> but that seems not to be the case. Also, the problem is truly
> intermittent (with the same DVD).
>
> What might I do to solve the problem?
>
> Thanks for any tips,

?Anti-virus running in the background?

Some other background program like GoBack?

Has to be either a background program running, or a caching problem. If
DMA is turned on, then check out DVDIdlePro - it provides superior
caching and also allows region-free playback.

http://www.dvdidle.com/dvd-idle.htm

--

NightStalker