Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Quality Science Fiction movies...

Quality Science Fiction movies...

Black Locust

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Dick Sidbury <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> If we consider movies that take place on Earth, here are my
> recommendations from my collection some of which are more comedy than SF
>
> Blade Runner
> Contact
> The Abyss
> Galaxy Quest
> Men In Black
> Terminator (and T2)
> Ghostbusters
> X-Men (both of them)
> Close Encounters ...
> Scanners
> Day the Earth Stood Still

How about Predator?

--
BL

Angus Manwaring

On 12-Jul-04 06:21:25, Maureen Goldman said
>Is "The Right Stuff" fictionalized enough to count here? Fine film.

No, apparently only the masturbation sequence was CGI, so its not really a
valid choice.

All the best,
Angus Manwaring. (for e-mail remove ANTISPEM)

I need your memories for the Amiga Games Database: A collection of Amiga
Game reviews by Amiga players http://www.angusm.demon.co.uk/AGDB/AGDB.html

The Doctor

In message <LVgIc.53117$JR4.49980@attbi_s54>
"Lookingglass" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> You're welcome... I only noticed later that you were in the UK... but what I
> did was "google" the title and that one popped up... be sure to buy the
> "special edition" version... there are others available... and despite some
> of the reviews on the Amazon site of this movie, it is the best version...
> you won't be
> disappointed...................................... .........ENJOY.

Received and watched today )))))))
Cheers!
--
Graham
The Main Control Room - www.thedeathzone.free-online.co.uk

DocDelete

"Spack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Grand Inquisitor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:hx0Hc.191552$(E-Mail Removed).. .

> from")
> > >

> > > Could you explain to my possibly befuddled mind how Event Horizon

> "borrowed
> > > from" a movie that was released 5 years later?

> > ROTFL!
> >
> > Explain it to 'im, folks.

> Well, never having seen Solaris or it's predecessor, and only being given
> the remake's name, it was pretty easy to make a mistake. If you'd said it
> ripped off Solyaris it'd have been clearer

That's what he did say. The original's title was Solaris too. If doubt try
looking at www.imdb.com

--
Ken Davidson
DocDelete

---

Stephen Grossman

In article <(E-Mail Removed)-online.co.uk>, The
Doctor <(E-Mail Removed)-online.co.uk> wrote:

> This Island Earth

Yes! I recall it as more intelligent and imaginative than the average SF
flick. I had forgotten it til
I read your post.

A man of judgement, who could look both before and after.
HOMER, THE ILIAD
Radically systematic, radical metaphysics: "Existence 2"
http://home.att.net/~sdgross
Stephen Grossman Fairhaven, MA, USA http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
Radically systematic radical metaphysics: Existence 2
http://home.att.net/~sdgross
Stephen Grossman Fairhaven, MA, USA (E-Mail Removed)

Stephen Grossman

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
(E-Mail Removed) (Eric R.) wrote:

> Starship Troopers

I read this a teen but the TV ads and reviews made it seem only for
teens, if you know what i mean.
Were bugs the book's bad, uh, guys? I have a vague memory that it was an
intelligent story.

Please email, post.

A man of judgement, who could look both before and after.
HOMER, THE ILIAD
Radically systematic, radical metaphysics: "Existence 2"
http://home.att.net/~sdgross
Stephen Grossman Fairhaven, MA, USA (E-Mail Removed)
Radically systematic radical metaphysics: Existence 2
http://home.att.net/~sdgross
Stephen Grossman Fairhaven, MA, USA (E-Mail Removed)

ML-78

DocDelete wrote:

> > Well, never having seen Solaris or it's predecessor, and only being

given
> > the remake's name, it was pretty easy to make a mistake. If you'd

said it
> > ripped off Solyaris it'd have been clearer

> That's what he did say. The original's title was Solaris too. If doubt

try
> looking at www.imdb.com

No, the original title is "Solyaris". Exactly as IMDB says:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069293/

"Solaris" was its American release title. The same happened to "Planeta
Bur" which was called "Planeta Burg" on some video releases, probably
stemming from an incorrect transcription of the title written in
Cyrillic letters.

ML-78

Mark W

"DocDelete" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:411b7472$0$526$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Spack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "Grand Inquisitor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:hx0Hc.191552$(E-Mail Removed).. .

>> from")

I don't think Event Horizon rips off Solaris at all. The only similarity is,
well, both are set in space. Or is there something else?

Russell

Far too much artistic licence. The deviations from the original
story would run many pages. The bugs were technologically
advanced (with ray guns, etc.) and more ant-like(?). Rico was
Filipino, not Latino. Carmen was nobody's girl friend. Having
her prancing around after being gored at the end was ludicrous
in the extreme. She wasn't in the story after Rico went to
officer's training school. There were no females in the MI. Carl
was killed on Pluto, he wasn't at the capture of the brain bug.
Sgt Zem was never busted to private. Etc. etc. etc. ad nauseam.

Starship Troopers II was an (expletive deleted) ripoff.