Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Quality Science Fiction movies...

Reply
Thread Tools

Quality Science Fiction movies...

 
 
Grand Inquisitor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-09-2004
ThePunisher wrote:
>>Now to a liberal who is less concerned with reality and more with
>>propaganda, I was losing that argument. But I don't care what your
>>opinion or any liberal's opinion was, I WAS right, and you people were
>>hopelessly wrong. A UK government inquiry into that intel claim has
>>determined that Hussein *was* seeking nuclear weapons material in
>>Africa, and they've already removed nuclear material from Iraq, that
>>Iraqi scientists say could have been used for weaponry.
>>

>
>
> http://news.yahoo.com/fc?tmpl=fc&cid...d_intelligence
>


http://tinyurl.com/2bvor
http://tinyurl.com/2lvjm
http://216.26.163.62/2004/me_iraq_06_11.html

--

"If you examined a hundred people who had lost their faith in
Christianity, I wonder how many of them would turn out to have reasoned
out of it by honest argument? Do not most people simply drift away?"

--C.S. Lewis
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Grand Inquisitor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-09-2004
Dalibor Perkovic wrote:
> The point is that "The Fifth Element" is completely based on
> the tradition of French SF comics (and partly literature),
> mostly by Moebius (who took part in the design of the film)
> but others too. And since the European, and especially the
> French SF tradition is very different from Anglosaxon, you
> are in danger of making a very big mistake if you judge "The
> Fifth Element" by usual standards. Ever watched Japanese
> cartoons like Akira or Princess Mononoke? Now *that* is
> different. But that doesn't necessarily mean bad.
>


Yes, and they are good. But Fifth Element was not. This isn't a
condemnation of French sci-fi, a genre I have little experience with,
it's just an opinion, and one that I'm not alone in.

Are you saying I have to be familiar with the trappings of a genre to
appreciate the movie? Shouldn't it stand on its own merits whether I'm
familiar with French sci-fi or not?

--

"If you examined a hundred people who had lost their faith in
Christianity, I wonder how many of them would turn out to have reasoned
out of it by honest argument? Do not most people simply drift away?"

--C.S. Lewis
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Grand Inquisitor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-09-2004
Biz wrote:
>>A film critic is something I have little respect for. Why should I?

>
>
> You seem to have NO respect for anyone...


I have respect for plenty of people. But as far as ramc-f and ramp-f
go, I was mocked for my politics, religion, and taste in movies before I
ever started fighting back.

--

"If you examined a hundred people who had lost their faith in
Christianity, I wonder how many of them would turn out to have reasoned
out of it by honest argument? Do not most people simply drift away?"

--C.S. Lewis
 
Reply With Quote
 
ThePunisher
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-10-2004
Grand Inquisitor wrote:
> ThePunisher wrote:
>>> Now to a liberal who is less concerned with reality and more with
>>> propaganda, I was losing that argument. But I don't care what your
>>> opinion or any liberal's opinion was, I WAS right, and you people
>>> were hopelessly wrong. A UK government inquiry into that intel
>>> claim has determined that Hussein *was* seeking nuclear weapons
>>> material in Africa, and they've already removed nuclear material
>>> from Iraq, that Iraqi scientists say could have been used for
>>> weaponry.
>>>

>>
>>
>>

http://news.yahoo.com/fc?tmpl=fc&cid...d_intelligence
>>

>
> http://tinyurl.com/2bvor
> http://tinyurl.com/2lvjm
> http://216.26.163.62/2004/me_iraq_06_11.html


Your 'news' is old and out of date, mine isn't.

--
ThePunisher


 
Reply With Quote
 
David P. Chabot
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-10-2004
Graham... how about starting here at this link...


http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...359938-5046234



Dave Chabot http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) www.Shemakhan.com

"The Doctor" <(E-Mail Removed)-online.co.uk> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)-online.co.uk...
> In message <TWjHc.48486$Oq2.27407@attbi_s52>
> "Lookingglass" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > I think one of the BEST... (IMHO)... sci-fi/alien invasion/body-snatcher
> > films EVER made, is the cheesy '50s film, INVADERS FROM MARS (certainly

NOT
> > the remake)... only one other poster put this on his list. It is an

exciting
> > and well told story... though the production values are cheap... (look

for
> > zippers on the "mutants" costumes or the condom "bubbles" in the

caves)...
> > the designs by William Cameron Menzies for the hill where the saucer

lands
> > shows his genius for design... he also did the artwork/designs for the
> > fantastic 1924 version of the silent film THE THIEF OF BAHGDAD...
> >

> Lets face it, show most people that view looking out over the sand pit
> with the broken fence and they'll remember that if not the film itself.
> Also I think the sand effect is done better in this than in the remake.
>
> As you say, its such a well made film that you don't need much
> imagination to overlook the cheapness of the sets or costumes.
>
> > It was recently remastered from a good source of the film... not like

the
> > laser-disk version that washes out in the police-station scene...
> > IMAGEentertainment released a DVD that contains the American version of

the
> > film coupled with the British version... the American version is BY FAR

the
> > superior version... don't even bother viewing the British... it deflates

the
> > impact of the story by eliminating the "key" element of the
> > story.............................
> >

> Any idea where I can get a copy of it?
>
> > For all this film lacked in production, it made up for by telling a

whopping
> > good tale.... GREAT MOVIE!!!
> >

> No argument there!
> Cheers!
>
> --
> Graham
> The Main Control Room - www.thedeathzone.free-online.co.uk
> Deathzone Emulation - www.thedeathzone.free-online.co.uk/emulation



 
Reply With Quote
 
Grand Inquisitor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-10-2004
ThePunisher wrote:
> http://news.yahoo.com/fc?tmpl=fc&cid...d_intelligence
>
>>http://tinyurl.com/2bvor
>>http://tinyurl.com/2lvjm
>>http://216.26.163.62/2004/me_iraq_06_11.html

>
>
> Your 'news' is old and out of date, mine isn't.
>


My news trumps yours. Yes, the CIA made blunders. Big surprise. But I
did not cite them, I made reference to the UN, a UK government inquiry
into its own intelligence, and to a recent news story from Iraq.

--

"If you examined a hundred people who had lost their faith in
Christianity, I wonder how many of them would turn out to have reasoned
out of it by honest argument? Do not most people simply drift away?"

--C.S. Lewis
 
Reply With Quote
 
madkevin
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-10-2004

"Grand Inquisitor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:OMwHc.196193$(E-Mail Removed).. .

> Wrong according to you, and your opinion means nothing to me.


That's because it's informed.

Kevin "Go Figure" Cogliano


 
Reply With Quote
 
madkevin
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-10-2004

"Biz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsRzHc.221697$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> "Grand Inquisitor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:RTwHc.196194$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > >

> >
> > A film critic is something I have little respect for. Why should I?

>
> You seem to have NO respect for anyone...


Bingo.

Kevin "Didn't Take Long, Eh?" Cogliano


 
Reply With Quote
 
madkevin
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-10-2004

"Grand Inquisitor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:XXEHc.24235$(E-Mail Removed)...

> I have respect for plenty of people. But as far as ramc-f and ramp-f
> go, I was mocked for my politics, religion, and taste in movies before I
> ever started fighting back.


Your politics and your religion YOU brought to the table, Quizzy. You only have
yourself to blame for that. Your taste in movies is meaningless, on the other
hand, because you're completely incapable of discussing films with even a
modicum of intelligence.

Glad I could clear that up for you. While we're at it, why don't you tell
everybody here about that great big I.Q. of yours? Or how smart your brother
thinks you are? Perhaps they'll be really, really impressed.

Kevin "Holding My Breath" Cogliano


 
Reply With Quote
 
Angus Manwaring
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-10-2004
On 08-Jul-04 17:46:16, Robert Kaiser said
>"The Kontaminator" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:Tp%Gc.306$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Can anybody please recommend some good Science fiction films- primarily

>set
>> in space, that I may enjoy.
>>
>> My own favourites, I can think of consist of the following:
>>
>> Event Horizon
>> Enemy Mine
>> The Empire Strikes Back
>> Alien (Yes I prefer this to Aliens, only just though.)
>> Pitch Black
>>
>> Any tippage would be great.


>I'd check out the Babylon 5 TV series, now on DVD. For self-containted
>sci-fi movies, buy the "Babylon 5: The Movies" set, which is coming out
>later this year, and contains five complete movies, with commentary and
>special features.


I have to say (as a big B5 fan) that IMHO the B5 movies are quite
disappointing apart from In the Beginning, and the recut version of the
Gathering, and neither of them are stunning.

The series is great though, mostly.



All the best,
Angus Manwaring. (for e-mail remove ANTISPEM)

I need your memories for the Amiga Games Database: A collection of Amiga
Game reviews by Amiga players http://www.angusm.demon.co.uk/AGDB/AGDB.html

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: Pioneers of Television: Science Fiction Duggy Computer Information 0 01-29-2011 01:33 AM
speicial science Fiction DVD's on Blu-ray C3 + DVD Video 24 05-08-2010 07:46 AM
Recent Science-fiction Episodes Wanted on VHS Diogenes DVD Video 0 07-09-2006 03:09 AM
Canonical Science Today, authoring system for science and mathematics (1st part) Juan R. XML 1 05-09-2006 12:55 PM
World Science Fiction convention Matt Lawrence Ruby 2 09-10-2004 01:59 AM



Advertisments