Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > A DVD player that doesn't suck? Is it possible?

A DVD player that doesn't suck? Is it possible?

Mark

LASERandDVDfan wrote:
> The H02 and H07 problems seem to be cropping up after the fourth

generation and
> I am becoming alarmed at the increasing number of complaints

regarding this
> failure as of recently, which is altering my perception of Panasonic

players.

I wish I had been alarmed a lot earler! I chalked the then-scattered
criticisms up to a likely handful of bad parts that would be certainly
ironed out by the time I bought my later, different model. However, my
Panasonic RV-32 player was purchased last Christmas, and now has the
fatal H07 error at startup. (I feel doubly stupid for having Usenet
info, and then not taking heed.)
Panasonic/Technics is now officially entered on my fecal roster!

-Mark

Jordan

Best advice...

#1) Don't by Thomson. (RCA)

#2) Don't buy anything under $100

You should be fine.

Here's my experience:

Bought an RCA player when they were $300, forget how long ago that was.
It lasted about 3 years and died a horrible death.

Bought an Xbox (found out too late some models have Thomson drives.) It
started flaking out less than a year later so I sent it in and they did
a warranty repair on it. Has worked fine ever since.

Bought a PS2, no complaints about the DVD quality but the remote layout
is cramped and the games pretty much suck.

Bought a JVC player, no problems to date.

Bought a JVC DVD/VHS combo drive for work, crapped out a year later. Of
course we were running it in a closed case 24 hours a day, 7 days a
week.

Bought a Toshiba dual layer DVD burner, no complaints yet, but it's
only been a week.

- Jordan

dot@at.com

There are NO DVD players that suck.
It's just your gay boyfriend that is sucking on your cock while you
watch your gay porn movies with him.

DB

news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> LASERandDVDfan wrote:
> > The H02 and H07 problems seem to be cropping up after the fourth

> generation and
> > I am becoming alarmed at the increasing number of complaints

> regarding this
> > failure as of recently, which is altering my perception of Panasonic

> players.
>
> I wish I had been alarmed a lot earler! I chalked the then-scattered
> criticisms up to a likely handful of bad parts that would be certainly
> ironed out by the time I bought my later, different model. However, my
> Panasonic RV-32 player was purchased last Christmas, and now has the
> fatal H07 error at startup. (I feel doubly stupid for having Usenet
> info, and then not taking heed.)
> Panasonic/Technics is now officially entered on my fecal roster!
>
> -Mark

The pioneer 275S for under $125.00 beats the crap out of any player
avaialable for under $200.00 except for another Pioneer model that retails
for $170.00 CAD btw.

Tarkus

On 1/14/2005 5:48:12 PM, DB wrote:

> The pioneer 275S for under $125.00 beats the crap out of any player
> avaialable for under $200.00 except for another Pioneer model that
> retails for $170.00 CAD btw.

Why?
--
"I was thinkin' I could use me another couple cans'o that potted meat
if ya got any extree."

Now playing: "Elvin Bishop - Rock My Soul"

LASERandDVDfan

>Best advice...
>
>#1) Don't by Thomson. (RCA)

You should also include GE.

While General Electric makes their own jet engines and appliances, Thomson
makes electronics for the GE brand.

>#2) Don't buy anything under $100

There are some decent players from Pioneer, JVC, and Sony that cost under $100
which are worthwhile.

>Bought an Xbox (found out too late some models have Thomson drives.) It
>started flaking out less than a year later so I sent it in and they did
>a warranty repair on it. Has worked fine ever since.

They might have swapped the Thomson drive for a Philips or a Samsung or maybe
even the newer Hitachi-LG drives. Unlike the Thomson, these drives work
faster, are more reliable, and may read CD-Rs.

If you come across an X-Box with a busted Thomson drive, don't bother repairing
the drive. The replacement pickups for those things have a horribly high
defect rate. It's better to obtain a whole new replacement drive. Of course,
don't get another Thomson.

>Bought a PS2, no complaints about the DVD quality but the remote layout
>is cramped and the games pretty much suck.

Elaborate which games? There are actually quite a few games on the PlayStation
2 that are worthwhile. This is also true for the GameCube and the X-Box.

System power is not a good indicator of software quality.

>Bought a JVC DVD/VHS combo drive for work, crapped out a year later. Of
>course we were running it in a closed case 24 hours a day, 7 days a
>week.

Plus, it's a DVD/VCR combo. No one can make a reliable DVD/VCR combo. -
Reinhart

LASERandDVDfan

>Panasonic/Technics is now officially entered on my fecal roster!

Well, I wouldn't totally discount Matsushita. Some of their stuff is decent,
just not their DVD players recently. (But, I still prefer Sony over Panasonic.
Better luck with Sony than Panny.)

And, Technics is almost totally phased out as a brand. New Matsushita audio
equipment will now likely bear the Panasonic brand. (Although, I don't care
that much for Panny audio anyways except their turntables and CD players. I
used to own a Technics SA-DA10, which was a very fine 5.1 receiver. However, I
am aware of the fact that obtaining replacement amplifier ICs can be very
expensive and difficult.)

You may only find the Technics brand if you shop for synthesizer keyboards and
electronic pianos. - Reinhart

Black Locust

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (LASERandDVDfan) wrote:

<snip of lengthy post>

On a side note, I just wanted to say it's good to see you're still here
Reinhart. Now that AOL has dumped UseNet, I hope you will in turn dump
AOL and get yourself a quality provider.

This group just wouldn't be the same without your expertise man.

Justin

LASERandDVDfan wrote on [05 Feb 2005 06:05:53 GMT]:
>>Best advice...
>>
>>#1) Don't by Thomson. (RCA)

> You should also include GE.
>
> While General Electric makes their own jet engines and appliances, Thomson
> makes electronics for the GE brand.
>
>>#2) Don't buy anything under $100
>>

> There are some decent players from Pioneer, JVC, and Sony that cost under $100
> which are worthwhile.
>
>>Bought an Xbox (found out too late some models have Thomson drives.) It
>>started flaking out less than a year later so I sent it in and they did
>>a warranty repair on it. Has worked fine ever since.

> They might have swapped the Thomson drive for a Philips or a Samsung or maybe
> even the newer Hitachi-LG drives. Unlike the Thomson, these drives work
> faster, are more reliable, and may read CD-Rs.
>
> If you come across an X-Box with a busted Thomson drive, don't bother repairing
> the drive. The replacement pickups for those things have a horribly high
> defect rate. It's better to obtain a whole new replacement drive. Of course,
> don't get another Thomson.
>
>>Bought a PS2, no complaints about the DVD quality but the remote layout
>>is cramped and the games pretty much suck.

> Elaborate which games? There are actually quite a few games on the PlayStation
> 2 that are worthwhile. This is also true for the GameCube and the X-Box.

The PS2 has so many games it's daunting. Picking the top 10, in whatever
tastes you have, should get you some really excellent games.

LASERandDVDfan

>> The pioneer 275S for under $125.00 beats the crap out of any player
>> avaialable for under $200.00 except for another Pioneer model that
>> retails for $170.00 CAD btw.

>Why?

Pioneer players usually have excellent readability of various recordable and
rewritable discs with support on a variety of formats and are reliable.

The sore spot with Pioneer players is that they tend to employ a bit too much
edge enhancement, other than that, they are good players.

Pioneer, JVC, and Sony are the only brands at this time to demonstrate a fairly
good and consistent track record for reliability, performance, and
functionality for relatively low cost on models of the previous generation and
the current generation. This doesn't include players from several generations
ago, particularly 1st, 2nd, and 3rd generation models. - Reinhart