Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > A DVD player that doesn't suck? Is it possible?

A DVD player that doesn't suck? Is it possible?

Biz

"Grand Inquisitor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsUoEc.1193$(E-Mail Removed)...
> And yet people flock to them, such is the demand for easy multi-regional
> hacking.

Don't give our fellow americans too much credit, they buy APEX players
because they are dirt cheap and avialable at all their fav high end
electronics shops like Rat Shack, Target, WalMart, you know the high-end
audio boutiques....

Very few of the people that buy them know anything at all about
multi-region, macrovsion disabling, or any of the stuff that they are good
for in certain instances.

Grand Inquisitor

Biz wrote:
> Don't give our fellow americans too much credit, they buy APEX players
> because they are dirt cheap and avialable at all their fav high end
> electronics shops like Rat Shack, Target, WalMart, you know the high-end
> audio boutiques....
>
> Very few of the people that buy them know anything at all about
> multi-region, macrovsion disabling, or any of the stuff that they are good
> for in certain instances.

But among the cheapies like Cyberhome, Mintek, etc. (many of which are
technically identical) Apex seems to rule the roost.

--

"If you examined a hundred people who had lost their faith in
Christianity, I wonder how many of them would turn out to have reasoned

--C.S. Lewis

Biz

"Grand Inquisitor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:UJpEc.1234$(E-Mail Removed)...

> But among the cheapies like Cyberhome, Mintek, etc. (many of which are
> technically identical) Apex seems to rule the roost.

Werent the others later arrivals? APEX seems to have been around for
several years b4 I started seeing Cyberhome and Mintek players showing up at
the grocery store checkouts.

Black Locust

In article <DUoEc.1193$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Grand Inquisitor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> And yet people flock to them, such is the demand for easy multi-regional
> hacking. Understandable outside the US, as we seem to get the best DVDs
> for the most part, but I'm confused why there is such demand in the US
> for foreign DVDs. The demand itself doesn't confuse me, just the
> magnitude of it.

People also flock to them for the price tag. It's hard to resist a DVD
player that sells for only $35. Usually about 6 months down the road
they learn the hard way why Apex's are $35.
--
BL

Black Locust

In article <UJpEc.1234$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Grand Inquisitor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> But among the cheapies like Cyberhome, Mintek, etc. (many of which are
> technically identical) Apex seems to rule the roost.

Apex's look prettier on the outside and are more readily available. I
don't think I've ever seen a Wal-mart that didn't have at least 2 Apex
DVD players out on the floor.
--
BL

root

Biz <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Don't give our fellow americans too much credit, they buy APEX players
> because they are dirt cheap and avialable at all their fav high end
> electronics shops like Rat Shack, Target, WalMart, you know the high-end
> audio boutiques....

I haven't seen Apex players available for some time. Do you know
where they are still being sold?

Mike Kohary

LASERandDVDfan wrote:
>> Look at the brands you're buying. Bravo? Onkyo? I've never even
>> heard of Bravo. It's possible these are high-end specialty brands
>> that I'm simply unaware of

> Bravo is not surprising, but Onkyo?
>
> You've never heard of Onkyo? What country do you reside in? Not
> meant as an insulting question, but rather that I don't think Onkyo
> distributes to certain countries for whatever reason. But, they do
> have a market in the United States. - Reinhart

I'm in the US. I'm vaguely aware that Onkyo exists, but I have no
experience with their products.

Mike

Smaug69

Murder <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<Xns9514B82436D62steveringispwestcom@129.250. 170.83>...

<snip>

> I certainly wouldn't recommend Panasonic or Toshiba. I had one of each,
> and they both conked out after a couple of years. or is that good for a
> DVD player?

I would recommend both Toshiba and Panasonic.

My first player was a Toshiba and I used it as my workhorse for nearly
4 years. It still works, but I bought a newer Toshiba that had DTS and
MP3 playback capability and that one's never given me problems in the
2 and a half years I've had it. And a friend of mine has a Panasonic
that has never given him problems over the 3 years he's had it.

Smaug69

LASERandDVDfan

>> But, the use of a cheap drive when the player was first made, as well as a
>> questionable looking power supply, is testament to some of the low

>standards
>> that Apex players are made to. - Reinhart

>And yet people flock to them, such is the demand for easy multi-regional
>hacking.

That, and most people are simply not aware of any quality difference between an
Apex product and, say, a Panasonic product. To most people, quality is what
they immediately perceive on the outside. The insides of an Apex is typically
anything but quality. However, when has the average Joe and Jane cared about
the internal differences.

For that matter, do most customers have the capability to identify any
differences truly relevant to engineering quality to begin with if given the
opportunity to actually look and compare the insides of an Apex and Panasonic
product?

That's perhaps how you can have people who go into a TV store demanding a price
adjustment on a Sony HDTV to compare that to a standard NTSC Emerson TV. There
are a lot of people who simply don't see a difference or are dumb to think that
they can get away with a price adjustment on something that's like trying to
get a Lexus for the price of a Kia.

>Understandable outside the US, as we seem to get the best DVDs
>for the most part, but I'm confused why there is such demand in the US
>for foreign DVDs. The demand itself doesn't confuse me, just the
>magnitude of it.

As been said about a Tootsie Roll pop, "the world may never know." - Reinhart

LASERandDVDfan

>But among the cheapies like Cyberhome, Mintek, etc. (many of which are
>technically identical) Apex seems to rule the roost.

Well, they were pretty much the first. - Reinhart