Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > A DVD player that doesn't suck? Is it possible?

A DVD player that doesn't suck? Is it possible?

Douglas Bailey

Murder wrote:
> I certainly wouldn't recommend Panasonic or Toshiba. I had one of each,
> and they both conked out after a couple of years. or is that good for a
> DVD player?

Not good, no. My Panasonic and Toshiba players are both still going strong
after three and four years, respectively.

doug

--
"It's a semi-automatic; get in the car..."
--The Sisters of Mercy

Richard C.

How strange.
I have 7 DVD players (from $35 to $1200 new price).

None of them have exhibited the problems you describe.

=============

news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
: As we all know, build quality has fallen through the floor over the
: years. A 10lb VCR of the past that played all day, all week, all year
: is now represented by a 1/2 lb korean slam-together POS that couldn't
: run more than 10 hours if it wanted too. In fact, you're unlikely to
: get decent performance from day one.
: DVD players, of course, are current technology. One might be stupid
: enough to believe they are up to SOME level of quality. Tonight, I
: must admit I haven't found one worth a damn.
: Last year, following a newsgroup buzz, I bought a Bravo D1 so I
: could use my TVs DVI input. This thing sucked more than anything I had
: experienced before. It would run occasionally with no problem, but
: most of the time suffered with skips, hangs, etc.
: A few years ago I bought my first DVD player, an Onkyo DV-S535. I
: was pleased with it then, and up until tonight. That may seem a great
: run, but I only ran about 20-30 movies in all that time. Now it's just
: another player freezing on brand new DVDs out of the box.
: This is a non-smoking household. We don't live next to railroad
: tracks. The electronics are as clean as possible (we're not a
: hospital).
:
: Has decent quality hit the toilet?
: Maybe I'm just unlucky?
: Are DVDs being recorded like crap? Has the quality of commercial
: disks dropped to the barely-playing level?
:
: I simply want a DVD player to play a DVD every now and then without
: hanging, or freezing solid. Is that so much to ask?
: I would greatly appreciate recommendations for a DVD player that
: will do what it's asked to do. Not a whole lot....just play a whole
: DVD, period.
:
: Thanks,
: Jim

Grand Inquisitor

One-Shot Scot wrote:
> Even better, try to find out which brands and models customers return
> the most. (Circuit City puts them out on the floor as "open box
> specials.")
>
> Avoid the brands which compromise the majority of these customer
> returns.

You mean comprise.

--

"If you examined a hundred people who had lost their faith in
Christianity, I wonder how many of them would turn out to have reasoned

--C.S. Lewis

Fred

I got a JVC from Best Buy. Works great. Other good brands are Pioneer,
Panasonic, Toshiba.

I buy many open box items. I always get the extended warranty with them.
Problem with that is, an open box is cheaper when it comes to returns in
Best Buy, and if you have to exchange it, you have to cough up more money.

I have an open box 1)CD recorder 2)DVD Recorder 3) DVD portable player 4)
Tivo. Saves me a few bucks.

"One-Shot Scot" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Grand Inquisitor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:exmDc.164598$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> <<If you want a mid-level player, go to a place like Circuit City or
> Best Buy and ask the salespeople to show you a good player (try not to
> be swayed by snazzy features, like recording, or pseudo-HD playback, if
> all you want is a DVD player). And buy the extended warranty.>>
>

> Even better, try to find out which brands and models customers return
> the most. (Circuit City puts them out on the floor as "open box
> specials.")
>
> Avoid the brands which compromise the majority of these customer
> returns.

LASERandDVDfan

>As we all know, build quality has fallen through the floor over the
>years. A 10lb VCR of the past that played all day, all week, all year
>is now represented by a 1/2 lb korean slam-together POS that couldn't
>run more than 10 hours if it wanted too.

More likely a Chinese slam-together.

> One might be stupid
>enough to believe they are up to SOME level of quality. Tonight, I
>must admit I haven't found one worth a damn.

And what are specific examples? So far, you've only cited two. It's unfair to
condemn an entire format on two bad players.

> Last year, following a newsgroup buzz, I bought a Bravo D1 so I
>could use my TVs DVI input. This thing sucked more than anything I had
>experienced before. It would run occasionally with no problem, but
>most of the time suffered with skips, hangs, etc.

Would it be possible that the player you bought was defective? You could have
tried to do an exchange for a different machine.

>A few years ago I bought my first DVD player, an Onkyo DV-S535. I
>was pleased with it then, and up until tonight. That may seem a great
>run, but I only ran about 20-30 movies in all that time. Now it's just
>another player freezing on brand new DVDs out of the box.

Onkyo makes good stuff, although there are some pieces of equipment that they
made which were horrible. However, the problem could have happened because the
player may have been hit by power surges.

A crippled power supply may not be able to provide the necessary power to
operate the optical pickup and other electronics properly if it worked at all.

>This is a non-smoking household. We don't live next to railroad
>tracks. The electronics are as clean as possible (we're not a
>hospital).

But your players can still be hit by power surges or brown-outs which can cause
damage.

As a matter of fact, I know of someone who has said that, during their time in
Hawaii and their utterly unreliable power grid, they ended up replacing DVD
players relatively frequently for power-up and disc reading problems. When
they moved to the mainland United States, the problem disappeared.

>Has decent quality hit the toilet?
> Maybe I'm just unlucky?

Maybe, maybe not.

>Are DVDs being recorded like crap? Has the quality of commercial
>disks dropped to the barely-playing level?

No. If anything, quality of press-replicated DVD discs have improved.

>I simply want a DVD player to play a DVD every now and then without
>hanging, or freezing solid. Is that so much to ask?

Of course, not.

>I would greatly appreciate recommendations for a DVD player that
>will do what it's asked to do.

Pioneer, JVC, Panasonic, and Sony.

Or, if you have approximately $15,000 (fifteen thousand) to blow, you could buy
a Meridian model 800 DVD player. However, it's main benefit is audio
reproduction while quite a few people contend it's no better at video than a
mass-production player.

I cannot recommend Toshiba anymore. It appears that their newer line of
players are outsourced from LG Electronics.

If you want Denon, only buy their higher end DVD player offerings.

I cannot provide comment for Fisher/Sanyo DVD players. Not enough experience.

Lite-On seems to be a new player (no pun intended) in the DVD player market.
They've made some good DVD-ROM drives for computers, but I cannot say anything
about their players just yet.

Stay far away from RCA, G.E., Apex, Norcent, Mintek, Magnavox, Philips, Funai,
Emerson, Sylvania, Oritron, Curtis Mathes, Venturer, Cyberhome, Coby, Audiovox,
GoVideo, CineVision, JWin, KLH, JBL, Bose, Samsung, LG, Konka, Hitachi, Sharp,
Akai, and Zenith.

Avoid DVD/VCR combo units like the plague.

Videogame consoles do not provide good DVD player performance, so don't use a
PS-2 or an XBox for anything except videogames.

I have seven DVD players in my household, not counting my XBox, PS-2, and my
Hollywood Plus DVD card in my computer.

Pioneer DVL-700
Sony DVP-S360
Toshiba SD-1700 (x2)
Panasonic DVD-A110
Panasonic DVD-R41

All work perfectly, although my SD-1700 players had capacitors 927, 928, and
929 replaced to account for known failures of those caps. One of the Toshiba
players also required power supply repair (regulator, zener diode, fuse).

The Panasonic DVD-A110 had a bad laser optical pickup. Panasonic agreed to
service the player absolutely free of charge, even though it was out of
warranty. - Reinhart

LASERandDVDfan

>> Are DVDs being recorded like crap?
>
>If, perchance, they're Mei-Ah or Universe Laser DVDs from Hong-Kong,
>then hell yes. In act, calling them "crap" would be complimenting them.

Heheheh. Kind of like Chinese-made LaserDiscs, eh?

Although, most of us deal with DVDs pressed by American, European, and Japanese
plants, so they end up being of decent quality.

Technicolor
Sonopress
Sony
Panasonic
WAMO
Pioneer
Disctronics

Some of the DVD replicators that cater to the United States. - Reinhart

LASERandDVDfan

>Look at the brands you're buying. Bravo? Onkyo? I've never even heard of
>Bravo. It's possible these are high-end specialty brands that I'm simply
>unaware of

Bravo is not surprising, but Onkyo?

You've never heard of Onkyo? What country do you reside in? Not meant as an
insulting question, but rather that I don't think Onkyo distributes to certain
countries for whatever reason. But, they do have a market in the United
States. - Reinhart

LASERandDVDfan

>With occassional rare exceptions, a DVD either plays or it doesn't.
>That is the nature of a digital format. If you're having bad luck with
>a DVD try it out on a friend's player.

The nature of digital encoding is that a signal is there or it's not. However,
optical discs are a different story.

You can have a marginal laser pickup that may read single layer discs
flawlessly, but stumble and skip on RSDL discs. You can also have a pickup
that has become thermal sensitive and work with intermittent hiccups when the
insides of the player reach "operating temperature."

I have an Apex AD-500W that I'm working on for a friend. The stock DVS brand
E-IDE DVD-ROM drive wouldn't recognize any disc, and that problem was traced
down to a faulty ribbon cable linking the pickup to the drive control
electronics. After repairing the cable, the player would read discs again, but
it was stumbling with RSDL discs, which indicates that the pickup has probably
gone marginal.

I replaced it with a superior stock Lite-On/JVC LTD-163 E-IDE DVD-ROM drive and
the thing now runs like a champ.

But, the use of a cheap drive when the player was first made, as well as a
questionable looking power supply, is testament to some of the low standards
that Apex players are made to. - Reinhart

LASERandDVDfan

> Every electronics company has stories like this but they
>come from Sony more than any other place.

That's an inaccurate assessment, and there are quite a few satisfied Sony
owners. I'm one of them.

I hear the most horror stories concerning RCA crap. One retailer jokingly
referred to the brand as "Return Coming At'cha." About the only thing they can
make right are just their picture tubes. Everything else, from their bigscreen
televisions to their "audio" equipment, are junk. - Reinhart

Grand Inquisitor

LASERandDVDfan wrote:
>>With occassional rare exceptions, a DVD either plays or it doesn't.
>>That is the nature of a digital format. If you're having bad luck with
>>a DVD try it out on a friend's player.

> The nature of digital encoding is that a signal is there or it's not. However,
> optical discs are a different story.
>
> You can have a marginal laser pickup that may read single layer discs
> flawlessly, but stumble and skip on RSDL discs. You can also have a pickup
> that has become thermal sensitive and work with intermittent hiccups when the
> insides of the player reach "operating temperature."

Okay, you clarified what I meant, i.e. those "rare exceptions." Thanks.

> But, the use of a cheap drive when the player was first made, as well as a
> questionable looking power supply, is testament to some of the low standards
> that Apex players are made to. - Reinhart

And yet people flock to them, such is the demand for easy multi-regional
hacking. Understandable outside the US, as we seem to get the best DVDs
for the most part, but I'm confused why there is such demand in the US
for foreign DVDs. The demand itself doesn't confuse me, just the
magnitude of it.