Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Fraggle Rock on DVD?

Fraggle Rock on DVD?

Derek Janssen

(No, not asking, despite the question mark in the header...)

Accdg. to TVShows on DVD, HIT Entertainment, who just got the rights to
the Jim Henson catalog, is taking a break from its policy of "Kids only
want one or two episodes" children's-disks (eg. Barney, Bob the Builder,
and those one-episode Wishbone's), and sounding Muppet fans out on the
official Muppet Central fan website forum about the possibility of
dumping the shows as episode season boxes. (After the usual Warner-style
two-ep. best-of in July to test the market, of course.)
They must be serious, they've got the "How much would you pay?" and
"Remember, don't answer unless you'd buy one!" disclaimers attached...

If this went through (oh, those studios and their innocent little
polls...), not only would this be more than relatively cool , but
might also help change the marketplace for kids' shows on disk:
With Warner's Hanna-Barbera sets, and the upcoming "Pee-wee's Playhouse"
season boxes, the idea of more children's shows being released as
seasons for their own sake might help bring more respect to how the
titles are sold, and help shift the kiddie market away from "Parents
only want one or two episodes on a disk to keep the kids happy", that
dates back to the early days.

Derek Janssen (c'mon, it's *principle*, here!)

Goro

YES!!!111!!

"The Trash Heap has spokes.... nyahhhh."

-goro-

Derek Janssen

Goro wrote:

> YES!!!111!!
>
> "The Trash Heap has spokes.... nyahhhh."

Actually, it's the site managing the poll (which makes the 100%
possibility of getting season boxes more nebulous, but too late, they
said it and now we're ramming it down HIT's throat)--

But, at least it's the site administrator running it, and hints that
results will be sent...Like I said, it's the principle of the thing.

Derek Janssen (and has absolutely nothing to do with my being an old Red
and Mokey fan)
(E-Mail Removed)

Stephen Cooke

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004, Derek Janssen wrote:

> Goro wrote:
>
> > YES!!!111!!
> >
> > "The Trash Heap has spokes.... nyahhhh."

> Actually, it's the site managing the poll (which makes the 100%
> possibility of getting season boxes more nebulous, but too late, they
> said it and now we're ramming it down HIT's throat)--
>
> But, at least it's the site administrator running it, and hints that
> results will be sent...Like I said, it's the principle of the thing.
>
> Derek Janssen (and has absolutely nothing to do with my being an old Red
> and Mokey fan)

Does anybody remember the moment when they realized that most of the
character names were technical filmmaking terms?

swac
Trying to remember if it was Travellin' Matt or Gobo that clued me in...

Dick Sidbury

Stephen Cooke wrote:

> On Sun, 27 Jun 2004, Derek Janssen wrote:
>

>>Goro wrote:
>>

>>>YES!!!111!!
>>>
>>>"The Trash Heap has spokes.... nyahhhh."

>>Actually, it's the site managing the poll (which makes the 100%
>>possibility of getting season boxes more nebulous, but too late, they
>>said it and now we're ramming it down HIT's throat)--
>>
>>But, at least it's the site administrator running it, and hints that
>>results will be sent...Like I said, it's the principle of the thing.
>>
>>Derek Janssen (and has absolutely nothing to do with my being an old Red
>>and Mokey fan)

> Does anybody remember the moment when they realized that most of the
> character names were technical filmmaking terms?

for me it was never. (at least until you mentioned it and I'm still not
convinced)
pray tell what do the following mean:
doozer
boober
red
wembley
mokey
doc
sprocket -- ok I get that one
travelling matt -- now that you mention it I do
gobo -- I had to look that up but did find it
junior gorg (or any other gorgs?)

dick