Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Deep Discount DVD

Deep Discount DVD

Tony

I'm wondering about the reliability of a supplier that I've seen praised
here. I've ordered from Deep Discount DVD a handful of times over the past
year. My most recent order has been, it seems, badly bungled, and I'm
wondering if this is becoming typical for this supplier.

I ordered 2 items on Monday morning 6/21. Both items reported by the web
site as being in stock. I checked the shipping policy and it stated that in
stock items ship by the following business day. Since I hoped to have the
items this week, I paid for expedited delivery.

On Wednesday I checked the website since I hadn't gotten the promised
shipping confirmation email. It still showed the order as open, so I
emailed the vendor. This morning I received an email stating "order #xxxx
is released for shipping. It will be shipped in 3-4 days time." So, in this
situation if their email is accurate, an order that should have gone out
6/22 will instead go out 6/29 or 6/30.

I only saved a few buck by ordering from this vendor, and would have
certainly paid a bit more to get the items promptly from another vendor.
I'm very annoyed by vendors who have a stated shipping policy on their web
site but don't adhere to it.

Is this typical of this vendor? I know some people are interested in paying
the lowest possible price for their orders, but sometimes I place orders
where time is more of the issue than the bottom line price. Can anyone
recommend a good online store that might be a better choice for those
situations?

Tony

Justin

Tony wrote on [Thu, 24 Jun 2004 16:31:36 -0500]:
> Is this typical of this vendor? I know some people are interested in paying
> the lowest possible price for their orders, but sometimes I place orders
> where time is more of the issue than the bottom line price. Can anyone
> recommend a good online store that might be a better choice for those
> situations?

Bottom line. If you want it soon, go to a B&M store and buy it locally.
If you order from Deep Discount when it is having a 20% off sale,
shipping times will be nowhere near what their site says.

Grand Inquisitor

Deep Discount is not the fastest way of getting DVDs, but it is the
cheapest. Most Deep Discount orders I receive in five days. For me,
that's worth the low price, especially for pricey box sets and Criterion
editions.

--

"If you examined a hundred people who had lost their faith in
Christianity, I wonder how many of them would turn out to have reasoned

--C.S. Lewis

Juan C. Rodriguez

Has anybody been able to get into Deep Discount DVD ? I have tried and
tried and have only received a error message. Is it just that their server
is over loaded because of the sale or is it some other problem.

Video Flyer

On 6/24/04 6:02 PM, in article 9ZICc.2017$(E-Mail Removed),
"Juan C. Rodriguez" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Has anybody been able to get into Deep Discount DVD ? I have tried and
> tried and have only received a error message. Is it just that their server
> is over loaded because of the sale or is it some other problem.

I haven't had any problems. What time of day are you trying it?

Neal

Stan Brown

"Tony" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in alt.video.dvd:
>I'm wondering about the reliability of a supplier that I've seen praised
>here. I've ordered from Deep Discount DVD a handful of times over the past
>year. My most recent order has been, it seems, badly bungled, and I'm
>wondering if this is becoming typical for this supplier.

:s/becoming/ /

I think those of us who were dissatisfied enough with DDDVD to stop
giving them out business have stopped bothering to post because
their defenders always yell about how wonderful they are and how low
their prices are.

They quite often do not win on price. http://froogle.google.com is
your friend.

http://OakRoadSystems.com

Stan Brown

"Grand Inquisitor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in alt.video.dvd:
>Deep Discount is not the fastest way of getting DVDs, but it is the
>cheapest.

BZZT! Thanks for playing anyway.

It is getting to be the exception when their price is lowest, and
when it is it's almost never by more than pennies.

Service was always problematic, but it went to crap when they bought
that other DVD e-tailer.

http://OakRoadSystems.com

FAQmeister

"Stan Brown" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)
> I think those of us who were dissatisfied enough with DDDVD to stop
> giving them out business have stopped bothering to post because
> their defenders always yell about how wonderful they are and how low
> their prices are.

They're not wonderful and the service is slow but their prices are low.
I've never had a problem getting what I've ordered.

> They quite often do not win on price. http://froogle.google.com is
> your friend.

Why not http://dvdpricesearch.com ?
It's the easiest way I've found to determine who has the best
"delivered" price on any particular DVD. Well, that and the Amazon
Marketplace prices.
--
Buford T. Justice
The alt.video.dvd faq is located at:

Aaron J. Bossig

Stan Brown <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> "Grand Inquisitor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in alt.video.dvd:
>>Deep Discount is not the fastest way of getting DVDs, but it is the
>>cheapest.

> BZZT! Thanks for playing anyway.
>
> It is getting to be the exception when their price is lowest, and
> when it is it's almost never by more than pennies.

Where else can I get a season of ST: DS9 for less than $96, with no
tax and no shipping fees?

--

Aaron J. Bossig

http://www.GodsLabRat.com
http://www.Daily-Reviews.com

Frank Malczewski

DVDEmpire seems to adhere to its shipping policy. If you order it the
night before, it seems to ship the next day.

Buy.com tends to ship the next day or so (but their shipping cost policy
seems to vary week to week so I don't use them much anymore -- and their
prices haven't been all that good either).

I tend to go for free shipping, so doesn't mean a whole lot about how
long it takes. Amazon sometimes waits a while when shipping free,
dvdplanet is fairly good, ddd is pretty slow. Thing with amazon is you
never know what way they will ship things; buy.com is that way sometimes
too. What I said about DVD Empire applies to their free shipping.

But as to a long ago thread, I've had some fairly good luck with
amazon's packaging of box sets and their getting to me undamaged (thanks
to whoever it was who pointed this out); usually the others don't seem
to think that's particularly important.