Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Router settings

Router settings

Jeff

I would like to ask some advice about some of my router settings I do not
fully understand.

1. A simple one. The default channel is 6. Since everyone seems to use
channel 6, (and I think I may be getting some interference) are some of the
channels better choices than others?

2. One of the settings DDNS (Dynamic DNS) is currently set to disabled.
What does this do and is there an advantage to changing it to enabled?

3. The router maintains a log of IPs it blocked or permitted access to. I
do not recognize the IPs listed as blocked. Is there a simple way to find
out who owns them and if I should be concerned?

Thanks for any advice.

Jeff

GTS

Answers below
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>I would like to ask some advice about some of my router settings I do not
>fully understand.
>
> 1. A simple one. The default channel is 6. Since everyone seems to use
> channel 6, (and I think I may be getting some interference) are some of
> the channels better choices than others?

Due to the way channels overlap, there are really only 3 discrete choices.
Channels 1,6, and 11. You're right that most default to channel 6, and
there's certainly no reason not to use 1 or 11 instead, especially if you
think there might me another unit in range on channel 6.

> 2. One of the settings DDNS (Dynamic DNS) is currently set to disabled.
> What does this do and is there an advantage to changing it to enabled?

Dynamic DNS is useful when you want to connect to your computer from another
location (with remote desktop or other programs) and you have a dynamic IP
address (usually the case). DDNS requires joining a dynamic DNS service and
setting up certain information and a name for your connection there. The
router can be configured to update that service keep the name referenced to
your current IP address.(See http://www.dyndns.com/services/dns/dyndns/ for
an example service if interested.)

It is of no value for any other reason and you should just ignore it if not
needed for this kind of purpose.

> 3. The router maintains a log of IPs it blocked or permitted access to. I
> do not recognize the IPs listed as blocked. Is there a simple way to find
> out who owns them and if I should be concerned?

It is possible to look up an IP address but rarely useful for this
situation. You would usually not be able to track the result to an
individual but rather to a particular ISP. You shouldn't be concerned about
it. I assume you're looking at the routers logs and it is normal to see
many rejected access attempts..

(See http://www.geektools.com/whois.php for one look up source if
interested).

> Thanks for any advice.
>
> Jeff

Jeff

Thank you for your excellent and helpful reply. Most appreciative.

Jeff

GTS wrote:
> Answers below
> "Jeff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I would like to ask some advice about some of my router settings I
>> do not fully understand.
>>
>> 1. A simple one. The default channel is 6. Since everyone seems to
>> use channel 6, (and I think I may be getting some interference) are
>> some of the channels better choices than others?
>>

> Due to the way channels overlap, there are really only 3 discrete
> choices. Channels 1,6, and 11. You're right that most default to
> channel 6, and there's certainly no reason not to use 1 or 11
> instead, especially if you think there might me another unit in range
> on channel 6.
>> 2. One of the settings DDNS (Dynamic DNS) is currently set to
>> disabled. What does this do and is there an advantage to changing it
>> to enabled?

> Dynamic DNS is useful when you want to connect to your computer from
> another location (with remote desktop or other programs) and you have
> a dynamic IP address (usually the case). DDNS requires joining a
> dynamic DNS service and setting up certain information and a name for
> your connection there. The router can be configured to update that
> service keep the name referenced to your current IP address.(See
> http://www.dyndns.com/services/dns/dyndns/ for an example service if
> interested.)
> It is of no value for any other reason and you should just ignore it
> if not needed for this kind of purpose.
>
>> 3. The router maintains a log of IPs it blocked or permitted access
>> to. I do not recognize the IPs listed as blocked. Is there a
>> simple way to find out who owns them and if I should be concerned?
>>

> It is possible to look up an IP address but rarely useful for this
> situation. You would usually not be able to track the result to an
> individual but rather to a particular ISP. You shouldn't be
> concerned about it. I assume you're looking at the routers logs and
> it is normal to see many rejected access attempts..
>
> (See http://www.geektools.com/whois.php for one look up source if
> interested).
>
>> Thanks for any advice.
>>
>> Jeff

GTS

You're welcome.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thank you for your excellent and helpful reply. Most appreciative.
>
> Jeff
>
> GTS wrote:
>> Answers below
>> "Jeff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I would like to ask some advice about some of my router settings I
>>> do not fully understand.
>>>
>>> 1. A simple one. The default channel is 6. Since everyone seems to
>>> use channel 6, (and I think I may be getting some interference) are
>>> some of the channels better choices than others?
>>>

>> Due to the way channels overlap, there are really only 3 discrete
>> choices. Channels 1,6, and 11. You're right that most default to
>> channel 6, and there's certainly no reason not to use 1 or 11
>> instead, especially if you think there might me another unit in range
>> on channel 6.
>>> 2. One of the settings DDNS (Dynamic DNS) is currently set to
>>> disabled. What does this do and is there an advantage to changing it
>>> to enabled?

>> Dynamic DNS is useful when you want to connect to your computer from
>> another location (with remote desktop or other programs) and you have
>> a dynamic IP address (usually the case). DDNS requires joining a
>> dynamic DNS service and setting up certain information and a name for
>> your connection there. The router can be configured to update that
>> service keep the name referenced to your current IP address.(See
>> http://www.dyndns.com/services/dns/dyndns/ for an example service if
>> interested.)
>> It is of no value for any other reason and you should just ignore it
>> if not needed for this kind of purpose.
>>
>>> 3. The router maintains a log of IPs it blocked or permitted access
>>> to. I do not recognize the IPs listed as blocked. Is there a
>>> simple way to find out who owns them and if I should be concerned?
>>>

>> It is possible to look up an IP address but rarely useful for this
>> situation. You would usually not be able to track the result to an
>> individual but rather to a particular ISP. You shouldn't be
>> concerned about it. I assume you're looking at the routers logs and
>> it is normal to see many rejected access attempts..
>>
>> (See http://www.geektools.com/whois.php for one look up source if
>> interested).
>>
>>> Thanks for any advice.
>>>
>>> Jeff

Keppy

Very nice, easy to understand and clear response. Thanks from me too!

"GTS" <x> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Answers below
> "Jeff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I would like to ask some advice about some of my router settings I do not
>>fully understand.
>>
>> 1. A simple one. The default channel is 6. Since everyone seems to use
>> channel 6, (and I think I may be getting some interference) are some of
>> the channels better choices than others?
>>

> Due to the way channels overlap, there are really only 3 discrete choices.
> Channels 1,6, and 11. You're right that most default to channel 6, and
> there's certainly no reason not to use 1 or 11 instead, especially if you
> think there might me another unit in range on channel 6.
>
>> 2. One of the settings DDNS (Dynamic DNS) is currently set to disabled.
>> What does this do and is there an advantage to changing it to enabled?
>>

> Dynamic DNS is useful when you want to connect to your computer from
> another location (with remote desktop or other programs) and you have a
> dynamic IP address (usually the case). DDNS requires joining a dynamic
> DNS service and setting up certain information and a name for your
> connection there. The router can be configured to update that service
> keep the name referenced to your current IP address.(See
> http://www.dyndns.com/services/dns/dyndns/ for an example service if
> interested.)
>
> It is of no value for any other reason and you should just ignore it if
> not needed for this kind of purpose.
>
>> 3. The router maintains a log of IPs it blocked or permitted access to.
>> I do not recognize the IPs listed as blocked. Is there a simple way to
>> find out who owns them and if I should be concerned?
>>

> It is possible to look up an IP address but rarely useful for this
> situation. You would usually not be able to track the result to an
> individual but rather to a particular ISP. You shouldn't be concerned
> about it. I assume you're looking at the routers logs and it is normal to
> see many rejected access attempts..
>
> (See http://www.geektools.com/whois.php for one look up source if
> interested).
>
>> Thanks for any advice.
>>
>> Jeff

GTS

Thanks for the comment. It's appreciated.
--

"Keppy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Very nice, easy to understand and clear response. Thanks from me too!
>
> "GTS" <x> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Answers below
>> "Jeff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>I would like to ask some advice about some of my router settings I do not
>>>fully understand.
>>>
>>> 1. A simple one. The default channel is 6. Since everyone seems to use

=?Utf-8?B?U2NvdHQ=?=

Good afternoon everyone-

I have a question about DDNS. I do have a need for it; however, I cannot
figure out how to configure my MN-700 Microsoft Basestation to use Dynamic
DNS. I found very little information online about it.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Scott