Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Dune R2 PAL uncut/extended version?

Reply
Thread Tools

Dune R2 PAL uncut/extended version?

 
 
TB
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-20-2004
I've noticed a few copies of what appears to be an official "extended"
cut version of David Lynch's "Dune" that's out on R2 Pal dvd. It appears
it's not quite the old tv version but it's far longer then the original
theatrical release and it looks like it's completely in anamorphic
widescreen with a new DD 5.1 soundtrack. It also has a few decent extras
including a new "making of" feature.

Can anyone shed some light on if this simply the old tv cut or if it is
a "new" extended cut that differs from previous versions? I remember
some effects on the tv cut's scenes being unfinished such as some
actor's eyes not being correctly colored and so on. Is this still the
case? Are the extra scenes originally in the tv cut over matted from the
fullscreen broadcast or did they go back and use the original scenes and
properly matt them in accordance with the rest of the film? What the
video quality like compared to previous home video releases? And who
good is the newly "remastered" soundtrack?

Thanks in advance,

T.B.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
napalm68
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-20-2004
It is the theatrical cut, with a very nice transfer. I think the extra time
some sites may mention is the doco included.

"TB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've noticed a few copies of what appears to be an official "extended"
> cut version of David Lynch's "Dune" that's out on R2 Pal dvd. It appears
> it's not quite the old tv version but it's far longer then the original
> theatrical release and it looks like it's completely in anamorphic
> widescreen with a new DD 5.1 soundtrack. It also has a few decent extras
> including a new "making of" feature.
>
> Can anyone shed some light on if this simply the old tv cut or if it is
> a "new" extended cut that differs from previous versions? I remember
> some effects on the tv cut's scenes being unfinished such as some
> actor's eyes not being correctly colored and so on. Is this still the
> case? Are the extra scenes originally in the tv cut over matted from the
> fullscreen broadcast or did they go back and use the original scenes and
> properly matt them in accordance with the rest of the film? What the
> video quality like compared to previous home video releases? And who
> good is the newly "remastered" soundtrack?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> T.B.
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Joshua Zyber
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-20-2004
"TB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've noticed a few copies of what appears to be an official "extended"
> cut version of David Lynch's "Dune" that's out on R2 Pal dvd. It

appears
> it's not quite the old tv version but it's far longer then the

original
> theatrical release and it looks like it's completely in anamorphic
> widescreen with a new DD 5.1 soundtrack. It also has a few decent

extras
> including a new "making of" feature.


The disc you're referring to is the theatrical cut of the film. The
longer TV version was also previously released on DVD in R2, in pan &
scan because that is the only format the TV cut exists in (it was edited
together after the video transfer).


 
Reply With Quote
 
Chris@DVDDebate
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-20-2004
We have a full review of this new release of Dune Special Edition (from
Sanctuary) here:

http://www.dvddebate.com/modules.php...ticle&sid=4155



Thanks

Chris Marin
Editor, DVD Debate
e: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
w: www.dvddebate.com

Recent Reviews:
The Young Master Comparison
Robocop Trilogy Comparison
Infernal Affairs Comparison
Barbed Wire Dolls
Bring It On Again
Dead Like Me S1
Sabu


 
Reply With Quote
 
john33907@comcast.net
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-20-2004
On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 14:57:26 GMT, "Joshua Zyber"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"TB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I've noticed a few copies of what appears to be an official "extended"
>> cut version of David Lynch's "Dune" that's out on R2 Pal dvd. It

>appears
>> it's not quite the old tv version but it's far longer then the

>original
>> theatrical release and it looks like it's completely in anamorphic
>> widescreen with a new DD 5.1 soundtrack. It also has a few decent

>extras
>> including a new "making of" feature.

>
>The disc you're referring to is the theatrical cut of the film. The
>longer TV version was also previously released on DVD in R2, in pan &
>scan because that is the only format the TV cut exists in (it was edited
>together after the video transfer).
>


There is also an NTSC jap R 2 version in stereo.
Someone has told me the pal r2 version is not in stereo even tho the
box says it is.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Joshua Zyber
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-21-2004
"Chris@DVDDebate" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:40d5b464$0$241$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> We have a full review of this new release of Dune Special Edition

(from
> Sanctuary) here:
>
> http://www.dvddebate.com/modules.php...ticle&sid=4155


You go much easier than the video transfer than I would. Your review's
comment about the "stunning sharpness and detail" is rather perplexing,
as that is not what I see on the disc at all. The picture is rather soft
and heavily filtered, destroying textural detail in the image.

I own a lot of different copies of this movie, summarized here:

http://www.mindspring.com/~dunestuff/#Video

The German "Perfect Collection" disc looks significantly better than the
UK "Special Edition", though the English 5.1 track is a disaster.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PAL to PAL Mickey Mouse DVD Video 8 01-30-2006 02:51 PM
Dune Ext version thread Vladimir Hahrkonnen DVD Video 1 02-14-2005 08:13 PM
David Lynch's DUNE extended version to be released TOM RICCI DVD Video 18 02-11-2005 01:39 PM
pal-i and pal-b boon Computer Support 2 01-28-2004 10:37 PM
Children of Dune Director's Cut? Wade365 DVD Video 4 09-22-2003 09:27 PM



Advertisments