Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Closed Captions

Closed Captions

richard48@webtv.net

On a few DVD titles I own the "CC" for "closed captioning" is on the
box, but I can't get the closed captioning to appear when I play them.
I engage the sub-title button on the remote and nothing comes up. I
even engage the closed captioning setting on the tv. What gives?

Rich Clark

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On a few DVD titles I own the "CC" for "closed captioning" is on the
> box, but I can't get the closed captioning to appear when I play them.
> I engage the sub-title button on the remote and nothing comes up. I
> even engage the closed captioning setting on the tv. What gives?

Closed captioning should *only* work through the TV tuner. It's different
from the subtitle feature you activate on your DVD player.

RichC

richard48@webtv.net

If the box the dvd is packaged in has the "CC" symbol on it, shouldn't I
get captioning when I engage the sub-title button on the dvd player
remote?
I just bought a dvd set (Tour of Duty 5 disk set) and it has the "CC"
symbol on the box. There is no option on the menu for sub titles, and
shows nothing when I push te su title button on the dvd remote.

Steve(JazzHunter)

On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 07:06:25 -0400, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>If the box the dvd is packaged in has the "CC" symbol on it, shouldn't I
>get captioning when I engage the sub-title button on the dvd player
>remote?

No, Closed Captions ("CC") are encoded on line 19 - 21 of the video
signal so that they may be decoded by an EXTERNAL Closed Captioning
decoder, usually the one in your TV, though in the early days of
Closed captioning you could buy a standalone unit. No DVD player ever
made has a built in Closed Captioning decoder. (I know of one
laserdisc player that could decode CC subs on laserdiscs.)

>I just bought a dvd set (Tour of Duty 5 disk set) and it has the "CC"
>symbol on the box. There is no option on the menu for sub titles, and
>shows nothing when I push te su title button on the dvd remote.

As I said "CC" does not mean subtitles. If you want to see subtitles
on a DVD the back of the box has to specifically say "Subtitles"
followed by "English, English for Hearing-Impaired, French, Spanish.."
or whatever. These subtitles are displayed from an Alpha channel
within the DVD's Vobs for direct display via the subtitle button on
the DVD player.

Steve ..

Stan Brown

"" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in alt.video.dvd:
>I just bought a dvd set (Tour of Duty 5 disk set) and it has the "CC"
>symbol on the box. There is no option on the menu for sub titles, and
>shows nothing when I push te su title button on the dvd remote.

Once again, you're mixing up two different things. Closed captions
are NOT subtitles. You should not expect to get closed captions when
you ask for subtitles.

A disc can have closed captions, subtitles, both, or neither. Many
discs don't have English subtitles but do have English closed
captions, which seems rather silly to me since the extra production
cost would be minimal and the text is already available.

>If the box the dvd is packaged in has the "CC" symbol on it, shouldn't I
>get captioning when I engage the sub-title button on the dvd player
>remote?

No.

Closed captions are controlled by your TV. Pull out your TV
instruction manual and find out how to display closed captions.

http://OakRoadSystems.com

Manda

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> On a few DVD titles I own the "CC" for "closed captioning" is on the
> box, but I can't get the closed captioning to appear when I play them.
> I engage the sub-title button on the remote and nothing comes up. I
> even engage the closed captioning setting on the tv. What gives?

In my experience, sometimes TVs can be a bit finicky about DVD closed
captioning. One TV I had wouldn't display the captions if I had been
watching TV for a while first or had just been playing another DVD.
Sometimes turning on the DVD player then the TV will fix this. Other times
I have not been able to get CC to work at all and am convinced that the
case is incorrect.

Meanwhile, my multi-region player (Portland PVD-1000, made by Daewoo) seems
to block CC. While I'm aware that overseas closed captioning formats might
not work on American TVs, I've tried region 1 DVDs that I know have CC with
no success.

Manda

richard48@webtv.net

OK........forget sub-titles on this dvd, I know it doesn't have it, but
it does have the "CC" symbol on the box. My tv has a built in CC
decoder.......I use CC all the time, and know how to set it. So why no
captioning on this dvd?

Rich Clark

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> OK........forget sub-titles on this dvd, I know it doesn't have it, but
> it does have the "CC" symbol on the box. My tv has a built in CC
> decoder.......I use CC all the time, and know how to set it. So why no
> captioning on this dvd?

Can you get CC from *any* DVD that purports to have it? If yes, then it's
possibly a DVD that's mislabeled. If no, then there's something going on
with your player, or the interaction between your player and your TV.

RichC

richard48@webtv.net

I don't own many DVD's yet, but actually the CC doesn't work on any of
them, so there must be some conflict between the dvd player and the tv.
This really sucks 'cause I depend on CC or english sub titles.......I'm
hearing impaired.

Richard S.

Biz

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I don't own many DVD's yet, but actually the CC doesn't work on any of
> them, so there must be some conflict between the dvd player and the tv.
> This really sucks 'cause I depend on CC or english sub titles.......I'm
> hearing impaired.
>
> Richard S.

How do you have your DVD player connected to your tv? Rf demodulator,
composite, s-video ,component?

Words occasionally dropped from closed captions RL DVD Video 6 06-08-2006 09:00 AM
Teletext, closed captions, SKY and a HDD recorder Ian Boag NZ Computing 9 02-27-2006 10:33 AM
Closed captions on HDTV BobT DVD Video 5 01-04-2005 04:17 AM
DVD-Recorder that supports Closed Captions? Paul Rubin DVD Video 3 04-24-2004 07:42 AM
Progressive Scan-Closed Captions Question DJ DVD Video 4 03-02-2004 12:57 PM

Advertisments