Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Converting Hi-8 video to DVD

Converting Hi-8 video to DVD

Chris Kotchey

I've recently convinced myself to start fully moving to digital when it
comes to photography, but have started thinking about video....

I have a number of regular Hi-8 videos taken with my Sony camera, and
was wondering what it would take to convert these movies to DVD. So, I
have a few questions for recommendations:

- What sort of hardware do I need to get the video from my camera (RCA
red/white/yellow connectors) into the computer?
- What sort of DVD authoring software would people recommend to process
the video, and
- more generically, does anyone have any strong feelings about DVD
writers? (i.e. + vs. -, etc.)

I've never done any DVD creation, so any advice is appreciated.

Chris

--
A One That Isn't Cold, Is Scarcely A One At All -- Strong Bad

Darrel Christenson

Chris Kotchey wrote:

> I've never done any DVD creation, so any advice is appreciated.

Why don't you just get a home recorder and avoid
all the pc oriented heartache and headache.

drc

Notan

Darrel Christenson wrote:

> Chris Kotchey wrote:
>
> > I've never done any DVD creation, so any advice is appreciated.

> Why don't you just get a home recorder and avoid
> all the pc oriented heartache and headache.
>
> drc

How 'bout something like:

http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/HP_DVD_...30471178.html?

Notan

Tarkus

On 6/18/2004 9:28:11 PM, Notan wrote:

> Darrel Christenson wrote:
>>
>> Chris Kotchey wrote:
>>
>>> I've never done any DVD creation, so any advice is appreciated.

>> Why don't you just get a home recorder and avoid
>> all the pc oriented heartache and headache.
>>
>> drc

> How 'bout something like:
>
> http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/HP_DVD_...30471178.html?

It looked like maybe a good idea until I read the user comments.

I think a settop box with a hard drive would probably be the way to go.
--
"Was my mother careful when she stabbed me in the heart with a clothes
hanger while I was still in the womb?"

Now playing: the radio

Notan

Tarkus wrote:

> On 6/18/2004 9:28:11 PM, Notan wrote:
>
> > Darrel Christenson wrote:

> >> Why don't you just get a home recorder and avoid
> >> all the pc oriented heartache and headache.
> >>
> >> drc

> > How 'bout something like:
> >
> > http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/HP_DVD_...30471178.html?

> It looked like maybe a good idea until I read the user comments.
>
> I think a settop box with a hard drive would probably be the way to go.

Wow! I didn't bother to scroll down... Thanks for bring it to my attention!

There are a few other similar units on the market, although their names
escape me.

It seems like a great idea, *if* it worked!

Notan

Ban

Chris Kotchey wrote:
> I've recently convinced myself to start fully moving to digital when
> it comes to photography, but have started thinking about video....
>
> I have a number of regular Hi-8 videos taken with my Sony camera, and
> was wondering what it would take to convert these movies to DVD. So,
> I have a few questions for recommendations:
>
> - What sort of hardware do I need to get the video from my camera (RCA
> red/white/yellow connectors) into the computer?
> - What sort of DVD authoring software would people recommend to
> process the video, and
> - more generically, does anyone have any strong feelings about DVD
> writers? (i.e. + vs. -, etc.)
>
> I've never done any DVD creation, so any advice is appreciated.
>
> Chris

Unlike most answers here I encourage you to do it with the computer, you can
edit your films much better, add nice stereo-sound and do not loose any
quality as long as you stay with the avi-files. The most important and
expensive part is to transfer the analog files into digital.
I play it from my old Hi-8 equipment and record with my DV-recorder
or -camera. Then I use the firewire to transfer into the computer using
Nero6 which came with my DVD-drive. Editing is best done in Premiere or
similar program, here u should rather invest into something semi-pro.
Otherwise buy the retail DVD-burner, not the bulk version, since it should
contain all necessary software for coding to mpeg2 and author the DVD.

--
ciao Ban
Bordighera, Italy

Bill Reynolds

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 04:28:11 GMT, Notan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Darrel Christenson wrote:
>>
>> Chris Kotchey wrote:
>>
>> > I've never done any DVD creation, so any advice is appreciated.

>> Why don't you just get a home recorder and avoid
>> all the pc oriented heartache and headache.
>>
>> drc

>How 'bout something like:
>
>http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/HP_DVD_...30471178.html?

Damn, read the reviews....

Oldus Fartus

Chris Kotchey wrote:

> I've recently convinced myself to start fully moving to digital when it
> comes to photography, but have started thinking about video....
>
> I have a number of regular Hi-8 videos taken with my Sony camera, and
> was wondering what it would take to convert these movies to DVD. So, I
> have a few questions for recommendations:
>
> - What sort of hardware do I need to get the video from my camera (RCA
> red/white/yellow connectors) into the computer?
> - What sort of DVD authoring software would people recommend to process
> the video, and
> - more generically, does anyone have any strong feelings about DVD
> writers? (i.e. + vs. -, etc.)
>
> I've never done any DVD creation, so any advice is appreciated.
>
> Chris

My method is to capture the Hi8 or VHS through my capture card (BtCap
based). The software I use is Ulead Movie Factory 2, or Video Studeo 7
which allows me to capture either as MPEG1, MPEG2 or DVD formats in
realtime. The system used is a P4-2.53 with 512 meg RAM.

For DVD writers my preference is the Pioneer range, with LG a close second.

--
Cheers
Oldus Fartus

DontHaveOne

Chris,

I've been doing this for a while now. I have a Sony Hi-8 camera and
I'm very pleased with the video. I got a capture card (AverMedia card
I don't remember the exact model AverTV Stereo? but I only spent $50
for it at CompUSA) I wanted to capture television shows from my Dish
Network satellite system. It hooks up to the Dish Network box with a
S-Video cord and stereo RCA plugs. I was capturing television shows
from this setup with no problem and noticed that my Sony Hi-8 camera
has the same outputs. So one day I hooked the Sony camera up to the
computer and it worked just great. Everything I've read says that you
should go with the S-Video cord for the best quality (one of the
reasons I went with the Hi-8 format in the first place) on your video
signal.

I was using the built in video capture software that came with the
AverMedia card. I was happy with it. You need to do some tweaking with
the settings to come up with good DVD quality though. Usually what I
did was go in and set up a Customized capture. Then I could set the
bit rate to the quality setting that I wanted or needed. If I wanted
to fit about 4 hour long TV shows on a disk I'd record at about 3000
Kbits/s if I wanted really high quality or the video tape has a lot of
fast movement I'd record at 8000 Kbits/s which would give me less than
2 hours on a disk. With the Sony Hi-8 you can capture at native DVD
resolution of 720x480 and there is no problem. I think the Sony Hi-8
format is really only 640x480 but I haven't noticed any problems
capturing at 720x480.

I then "upgraded" to PowerVCR II in the process it knocked all of the
AverMedia codecs out and messed things up for AverMedia. I do the same
thing with PowerVCR II but I'm not quite as happy with it for a
variety of reasons.

I then use Womble MPEG-VCR to cut out commercials, video footage that
I don't want and put together the video in the order in which I want
it. Womble mpeg-vcr is an excellent program for working (editing) mpg
files (which are notoriously hard to edit with frame precision.)

I sometimes capture at a higher bit rate than I want to use on the
finished DVD. In those cases if I want to fit the highest quality on
the disk I will use DVD2AVI to frameserve the MPG-2 file to a file
form that TMPGEnc can handle and then I'll use TMPGEnc (the encoder
not the DVD Author program) to encode the file to the exact bit rate
that I want. (Example: I'll capture a 2 hour Hi-8 video at 8000
Kbits/s then I'll do the editing and on the video to make it the exact
file length that I want, then I'll go back with TMPGEnc and re-encode
it to 5680 Kbits/s (for example) to exactly fill up a DVD.)

After the video is in the shape that I want it I will use TMPGEnc DVD
Author to make the DVD with menus, chapters etc. I'm very happy with
TMPGEnc DVD Author. Some folks on this forum don't seem to like it.
But I've tried Sonic MyDVD Studio and it messed up the sound something
terrible (by the end of a 2 hour movie DVD the voice and lips were
noticably out of sync.) Sonic might have corrected this with the
upgrade that they put out but I've downloaded it but haven't installed
it yet. TMPGEnc DVD Author just works. You have to put up with some
limitations on what you can do (you don't have great latitude on the
layout for example.) But I don't find this too limiting at this time,
maybe I will in time but I also don't have $500 to spend on the DVD
authoring software packages that will give me all of that control.

I then burn it with Nero Buring ROM. TMPGEnc DVD Author has a DVD
burning application built-in but I have used and like Nero 5.5 alot so
I stick with what I know works (you'll get folks on this forum who
also don't like Nero for burning video but it works for me and I've
got it so see no need to get something else.)

I use DVD-R disks for sharing the disks they seem to have the widest
playability. I got a Memerox 4X -R/RW +R/RW DVD burner so I can burn
most things (can't burn the DVD-RAM disks but I don't know why you'd
want to.) I'd recommend that you get a player that will play the
DVD-RW disks, I'll normally write to RW first then check it out on the
player to make sure everything looks ok then I'll finalize it to a -R
disk (at a $1-$2 per disk I don't like making any more coasters than I
have to.)

For more help and a great resource I'd take a look at

http://www.videohelp.com/

They have reviews of video capture cards, software and lots of How to
articles.

For the software take a look at alt.binaries.multimedia.utilities and
alt.binaries.warez.

I like the control and the learning on doing video on my computer
that's why I do it this way. If you don't want to do it this way then
you should probably take Darrel Christenson's advice and just pay
$400-$500 for a set top DVD recorder (just do it their way.)

I hope this gives you a little bit of information and advice on how
one person does it.

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 02:43:48 GMT, Chris Kotchey <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I've recently convinced myself to start fully moving to digital when it
>comes to photography, but have started thinking about video....
>
>I have a number of regular Hi-8 videos taken with my Sony camera, and
>was wondering what it would take to convert these movies to DVD. So, I
>have a few questions for recommendations:
>
>- What sort of hardware do I need to get the video from my camera (RCA
>red/white/yellow connectors) into the computer?
>- What sort of DVD authoring software would people recommend to process
>the video, and
>- more generically, does anyone have any strong feelings about DVD
>writers? (i.e. + vs. -, etc.)
>
>I've never done any DVD creation, so any advice is appreciated.
>
>Chris

Buchetamo

"Oldus Fartus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:40d4446f$0$28951$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Chris Kotchey wrote:
>
> > I've recently convinced myself to start fully moving to digital when it
> > comes to photography, but have started thinking about video....
> >
> > I have a number of regular Hi-8 videos taken with my Sony camera, and
> > was wondering what it would take to convert these movies to DVD. So, I
> > have a few questions for recommendations:
> >
> > - What sort of hardware do I need to get the video from my camera (RCA
> > red/white/yellow connectors) into the computer?
> > - What sort of DVD authoring software would people recommend to process
> > the video, and
> > - more generically, does anyone have any strong feelings about DVD
> > writers? (i.e. + vs. -, etc.)
> >
> > I've never done any DVD creation, so any advice is appreciated.
> >
> > Chris
> >

> My method is to capture the Hi8 or VHS through my capture card (BtCap
> based). The software I use is Ulead Movie Factory 2, or Video Studeo 7
> which allows me to capture either as MPEG1, MPEG2 or DVD formats in
> realtime. The system used is a P4-2.53 with 512 meg RAM.
>
> For DVD writers my preference is the Pioneer range, with LG a close

second.

> --
> Cheers
> Oldus Fartus

Fartus, you're not longer Oldus but Obsoletus & Ancientus... get on the ball
Farti, get Video Studio 8!!