Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Anchor Bay Dawn of the Dead SE...question...

Anchor Bay Dawn of the Dead SE...question...

Joseph S. Powell, III

Slated for 9/7/04, the new Anchor Bay Dawn of the Dead SE is certainly
generous....

"Disc One: Theatrical Cut with an anamorphic widescreen transfer (1.85:1),
DD5.1 and 2.0, DTS 5.1 Surround, audio commentary (George A. Romero, Tom
Savini and Chris Romero, moderated by Perry Martin), George A. Romero
biography, poster & advertising gallery, comic book preview, trailers, TV
and radio spots. Disc Two: Extended Cut with an anamorphic widescreen
transfer (1.85:1), DD Mono, audio commentary (Richard P. Rubinstein with
Perry Martin), Monroeville Mall commercial, memorabilia gallery and
production stills galleries. Disc Three: European "Zombie" Cut with an
anamorphic widescreen transfer (1.85:1), DD5.1 and 2.0, audio commentary
(David Emge, Ken Foree, Scott H. Reiniger and Gaylen Ross), Dario Argento
biography, international lobby card gallery, international poster &
advertising gallery, international pressbook gallery, home video &
soundtrack artwork gallery, international trailers and UK TV spots. Disc
Four: "The Dead Will Walk" all-new 75-minute documentary (featuring
interviews with Claudio and Dario Argento, Pat and Tony Buba, Zilla Clinton,
David Crawford, David Early, David Emge, Ken Foree, Michael Gornick, John
Harrison, Clayton Hill, Sharon Ceccatti-Hill, Jim Krut, Leonard Lies, Scott
H. Reiniger, George and Chris Romero, Gaylen Ross, Tom Savini and Claudio
Simonetti), "Document of the Dead" documentary by Roy Frumkes, On-set home
movie footage (with audio commentary by zombie extra Robert Langer) and a
Monroeville Mall tour with George A. Romero."

.......................But, WHY will the Director's Cut version offer just a
MONO soundtrack?
My whole intent was to watch the Director's Cut from now on, but they're
going to give it inferior sound while the Theatrical Cut (which I already
have) gets both DTS and DD soundtracks!
Why couldn't they throw in at least a DD 5.1 track in with the Director's
Cut?
I don't care if it was originally shot in mono - if people want to hear it
in mono, they can adjust their receivers accordingly.
Why not move the commentary to the Zombie cut, take away the DD 2.0 (since
it has the 5.1 anyway) track to make room for it, then add at least a DD 5.1
track to the Director's Cut.
What the hell is the point of going to all that trouble to give the
Theatrical Cut a sweet DTS track when a lot of people are going to buy this
set primarily for the Director's Cut, only to hear a bland MONO track?
This sucks....

drsd2kill

Well... the longest "director's cut" was actually rushed for a showing at
Cannes - and then it was further cut by Romero. Also, the necessary audio stems
may not exist for that longer cut to remix it - like for the extended version
of THE WICKER MAN - it is in mono while the shorter cut is 5.1 (simulated, but
still...)

Murder

"Joseph S. Powell, III" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

>This sucks....

It does, kind of. I have the Director's Cut on VHS, and I'd probably
only watch that version if i had it on DVD. I'm waiting to see what the
price will be at the local Best Buy before i spring for the SE.

--
"There is no more foul or relentless enemy of man in the occult world
than this dead-alive creature spewed up from the grave..."

Otter

>......................But, WHY will the Director's Cut version offer just a
>MONO soundtrack?

[...]
>Why couldn't they throw in at least a DD 5.1 track in with the Director's
>Cut?

Probably because they didn't have the materials to manufacture a 5.1
soundtrack. The director's cut uses different takes and versions of
scenes, etc so they can't port it over from different versions. IIRC
the music is different as well.

If you really want to hear a fake 5.1 anyway, use one of the settings
on your receiver.

-Otter

Joseph S. Powell, III

"Otter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >......................But, WHY will the Director's Cut version offer just

> >MONO soundtrack?

> [...]
> >Why couldn't they throw in at least a DD 5.1 track in with the Director's
> >Cut?

> Probably because they didn't have the materials to manufacture a 5.1
> soundtrack. The director's cut uses different takes and versions of
> scenes, etc so they can't port it over from different versions. IIRC
> the music is different as well.
>
> If you really want to hear a fake 5.1 anyway, use one of the settings
> on your receiver.
>
> -Otter

Yeah, that's what I'll have to do - although it won't sound nearly as sweet
as the DTS track on the Theatrical Cut.
I used to have the Director's Cut (it was a flipper), and wish I had not
parted with it - I preferred it as it clarified things that the Theatrical
Cut portrayed in a confusing way - example, when (in the Theatrical Cut) the
scene cuts from Ken Foree shooting a zombie in the head in the basement, to
when Flyboy swings a chair around at the Police Dock to find a cop who shot
himself in the head - it appeared as if Flyboy had killed the cop, while in
the Director's Cut it actually shows Flyboy walking into the radio room the
the Police Dock, finding the already-dead body in the chair.