Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > DVD Duplication Problems

Reply
Thread Tools

DVD Duplication Problems

 
 
Jay
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-18-2004
I have a home authored DVD-R which I tried to have 2 companies
duplicate (around 40-50 copies). Both companies say their stand-alone
duplication machine gives an error. They have no other advice. I
burned several different formats (ISO, UDF, and ISU/UDF) for them to
try using Nero. They cannot duplicate any of these.

Is there anything else I can do to make my DVD-Rs be more compatible
with their duplication machines? The discs work fine in all the DVD
players I have tried. Do some burning tools work better than Nero?

I used Adobie Encore as the Authoring tool.

One company said the files copied to the duplication machines hard
drive and the file sizes were correct, but they got an error when
trying to burn.

Thanks.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Steve(JazzHunter)
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-18-2004
On 18 Jun 2004 06:13:20 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Jay) wrote:

>I have a home authored DVD-R which I tried to have 2 companies
>duplicate (around 40-50 copies). Both companies say their stand-alone
>duplication machine gives an error. They have no other advice. I
>burned several different formats (ISO, UDF, and ISU/UDF) for them to
>try using Nero. They cannot duplicate any of these.
>
>Is there anything else I can do to make my DVD-Rs be more compatible
>with their duplication machines? The discs work fine in all the DVD
>players I have tried. Do some burning tools work better than Nero?
>
>I used Adobie Encore as the Authoring tool.
>
>One company said the files copied to the duplication machines hard
>drive and the file sizes were correct, but they got an error when
>trying to burn.
>
>Thanks.


Nero frequently fails to make a good copy of a DVD for me. Use
DVDdecrypter. "Read ISO" to copy then "Write Iso" to burn just to
check. DVD decrypter seems to be able to copy DVD recorder recorded
discs and home-authored DVDs when nothing else will. (including Clone
DVD, if anyone mentuons that) Occasionally, if the master disc has an
error, you would have to copy files in DVDdecypter instead, then burn
with Nero. DVDdecypter is not just for rippimg commercial discs.



. Steve .

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Jay
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-18-2004
Thanks for the info Steve.

My post may not have been clear. The DVD files (VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS)
are currently on my hard drive. I am trying to burn these files to a
DVD-R to take to a duplication company to make 50 copies.

I cannot seem to create a DVD-R from the files on my hard drive the
duplication companies can read. The disc works in all my players.

Can DVDdecryptor create DVDs from VIDEO_TS/AUDIO_TS files on my hard
drive?

-Or-

Did you mean I should use DVDdecryptor to "Read ISO" from my "bad"
nero created disc. Then "Write Iso" to another disc?

Thanks


"Steve(JazzHunter)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
>
> Nero frequently fails to make a good copy of a DVD for me. Use
> DVDdecrypter. "Read ISO" to copy then "Write Iso" to burn just to
> check. DVD decrypter seems to be able to copy DVD recorder recorded
> discs and home-authored DVDs when nothing else will. (including Clone
> DVD, if anyone mentuons that) Occasionally, if the master disc has an
> error, you would have to copy files in DVDdecypter instead, then burn
> with Nero. DVDdecypter is not just for rippimg commercial discs.
>
>
>
> . Steve .

 
Reply With Quote
 
Steve(JazzHunter)
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-19-2004
On 18 Jun 2004 11:41:44 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) (Jay) wrote:

>Thanks for the info Steve.
>
>My post may not have been clear. The DVD files (VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS)
>are currently on my hard drive. I am trying to burn these files to a
>DVD-R to take to a duplication company to make 50 copies.
>
>I cannot seem to create a DVD-R from the files on my hard drive the
>duplication companies can read. The disc works in all my players.
>
>Can DVDdecryptor create DVDs from VIDEO_TS/AUDIO_TS files on my hard
>drive?
>


No, DVDdecypter is only a copying tool.

>-Or-
>
>Did you mean I should use DVDdecryptor to "Read ISO" from my "bad"
>nero created disc. Then "Write Iso" to another disc?


Well, try that, then use the result as the master. But I suspect that
there is something non-standard about the authoring of the DVD.
Traditionally duplication houses prefer a tape of the image, but are
now accepting direct copies. The discs of weddings and corporate
presentations I have made in DVDmaestro then DVDlab have always been
accepted as glass masters at the place I use, a subsidiary of Cinram.
Even a small local DVDr stamper works well with the created
DVDlab-created DVDrs. So I couldn't tell you the specific problem with
your master, sorry. Make certain that Video_TS and Audio_TS are both
the immediate subdirectories of the root and that there are no other
directories on the disc. A hardware player can sometimes read a disc
with a nested video_ts directory whereas a PC player can't, but this
is a non-standard disc. Presumably the disc has an .ifo and .bup.

.. Steve .
>
>Thanks
>
>
>"Steve(JazzHunter)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
>>
>> Nero frequently fails to make a good copy of a DVD for me. Use
>> DVDdecrypter. "Read ISO" to copy then "Write Iso" to burn just to
>> check. DVD decrypter seems to be able to copy DVD recorder recorded
>> discs and home-authored DVDs when nothing else will. (including Clone
>> DVD, if anyone mentuons that) Occasionally, if the master disc has an
>> error, you would have to copy files in DVDdecypter instead, then burn
>> with Nero. DVDdecypter is not just for rippimg commercial discs.
>>
>>
>>
>> . Steve .


 
Reply With Quote
 
Krazy Kanuck
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-19-2004

" The discs of weddings and corporate
> presentations I have made in DVDmaestro then DVDlab have always been
> accepted as glass masters at the place I use, a subsidiary of Cinram.

....sorry to butt in here but I'm curious to your experiences with getting a
glass master done....I was told that it was very expensive to get a master
DVD made....around the $1000 mark so it wouldn't be feasable for small
runs....I've been doing copys of around 50 and have to burn them myself onto
a DVD-R disc which I then have to explain, that it's quite fragile and will
play only on most newer players etc.
Has the price dropped significantly or something?
Len


 
Reply With Quote
 
Steve(JazzHunter)
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-19-2004
On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 20:48:23 -0600, "Krazy Kanuck"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>
>" The discs of weddings and corporate
>> presentations I have made in DVDmaestro then DVDlab have always been
>> accepted as glass masters at the place I use, a subsidiary of Cinram.

>...sorry to butt in here but I'm curious to your experiences with getting a
>glass master done....I was told that it was very expensive to get a master
>DVD made....around the $1000 mark so it wouldn't be feasable for small
>runs....I've been doing copys of around 50 and have to burn them myself onto
>a DVD-R disc which I then have to explain, that it's quite fragile and will
>play only on most newer players etc.
>Has the price dropped significantly or something?
>Len
>


Just slang, I said "Accepted AS Glass Masters,"in other words, instead
of a glass master the dvdr is acceptable.

Steve .

 
Reply With Quote
 
Jack Perry
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-19-2004

I suspect it could be either the DVD-R media or the Burner you're using. Are
they brand name or generic.
There's a world of incompatibility among the different combos. Pioneer AO
series burners are pretty compatible,
Lite-On Drives have issues

Is your burner running the latest internal software
(can't remember the term) or using the latest drivers?



 
Reply With Quote
 
Jay
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-19-2004
Can you please elaborate on a few points in your post. Please recall:
my problem is the duplication machines give an error and they never
actually get to the point of burning a disc. See my in-line questions
below...

> Well, try that, then use the result as the master. But I suspect that
> there is something non-standard about the authoring of the DVD.


By "the authoring of the DVD", do you mean the activities (menus, etc)
I created using Adobe Encore?

> Make certain that Video_TS and Audio_TS are both
> the immediate subdirectories of the root and that there are no other
> directories on the disc. A hardware player can sometimes read a disc


They are. But, do the duplication machines actually look for the
video_TS and audio_TS directories or are they just performing a blind
copy of the data on the disc?

It seems if they do just a blind copy of the data, the authoring and
the directory structure should not matter, as the machines will just
duplicate what they are given.

Thanks again.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Steve(JazzHunter)
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-20-2004
On 19 Jun 2004 16:27:05 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) (Jay) wrote:

>Can you please elaborate on a few points in your post. Please recall:
>my problem is the duplication machines give an error and they never
>actually get to the point of burning a disc. See my in-line questions
>below...
>
>> Well, try that, then use the result as the master. But I suspect that
>> there is something non-standard about the authoring of the DVD.

>
>By "the authoring of the DVD", do you mean the activities (menus, etc)
>I created using Adobe Encore?
>
>> Make certain that Video_TS and Audio_TS are both
>> the immediate subdirectories of the root and that there are no other
>> directories on the disc. A hardware player can sometimes read a disc

>
>They are. But, do the duplication machines actually look for the
>video_TS and audio_TS directories or are they just performing a blind
>copy of the data on the disc?
>
>It seems if they do just a blind copy of the data, the authoring and
>the directory structure should not matter, as the machines will just
>duplicate what they are given.
>
>Thanks again.


Since the house can't provide any details of the problem we're working
blind. I can only suggest a simple test project. Drag a known good
Mpeg into TmpegDVDauthor, add "play" and a couple of random chapters,
compile and burn that, and see if that also will not be accepted by
the house. In other words offer them something completely different
from what you've been providing, they won't charge for such a test
beyond the blanks used. If that works then the problem has been
something in the Adobe software or its use, if it doesn't work then
there's a problem with your burn. I suggested reburning the ISO as a
means of seeing if you could create an identical copy in your own
setup, but that doensn't go far enough.

.. Steve ..

 
Reply With Quote
 
Steve Guidry
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-21-2004
Most burner towers give the operator 2 ways to burn the disc - - verified,
and disc copy. "Verified" involves copying the files to an internal hard
drive and then back out to the discs. It checks everything to make sure it
is all up to specs. The screening process is quite detailed. Even one
corrupt file can abort a project. Most burners don't tell the operator
exactly what the error is, they just reject it. It can even be a tiny error
with a readme or pdf or jpg file that seems inconsequential to the meat of
the project. I'm guessing that's what's happening on your disc. It then
takes a skilled author to find and correct the problem.

"Disc copy" on the other hand makes an exact copy of what is on the disc.
This method copies the errors and all. We typically use this setting only
when a customer is adamant that "his disc is OK". We make it clear that
the discs don't carry our "100% playable" warranty. We don't give money
back unless we're able to verify the disc first as part of the burn.

One side note - - "disc copy" takes a lot longer, too, since the path from
the reader to the burners is slower than the one from the hard drive to the
burners.


Steve



> It seems if they do just a blind copy of the data, the authoring and
> the directory structure should not matter, as the machines will just
> duplicate what they are given.
>
> Thanks again.



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
effective dvd duplication mikesoft_video@yahoo.com DVD Video 0 01-29-2007 03:32 PM
video dvd duplication and convertion xsoft02@yahoo.com DVD Video 0 09-08-2006 02:25 PM
video dvd duplication and convertion yarik Computer Support 1 09-08-2006 09:25 AM
Your business solution for CD/DVD Duplication/Replication Services Don Gillson DVD Video 0 02-02-2006 05:36 PM
DVD-R & DVD-RW & DVD+R & DVD+RW DVD-WTF Nozza Computer Support 5 12-02-2004 10:06 PM



Advertisments