Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Sony RDR GX3 DVD Recorder

Sony RDR GX3 DVD Recorder

Paul Maskell

Hi,

I'm planning to buy the Sony GX3 DVD recorder (Multi-region) very soon.
Has anyone got this machine and can tell me any good or bad points about it?
I REALLY want to get one in the next couple of days so that I can ditch my video.
Is it easy to install and set up?
Thanks.

Tony Whitfield

"Paul Maskell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Vc%zc.15843$(E-Mail Removed)9.net...
> Hi,
>
> I'm planning to buy the Sony GX3 DVD recorder (Multi-region) very soon.
> Has anyone got this machine and can tell me any good or bad points about

it?
> I REALLY want to get one in the next couple of days so that I can ditch my

video.
> Is it easy to install and set up?
> Thanks.

Save some money and buy the Panny E55 for 225.

The Doctor

In message <Vc%zc.15843$(E-Mail Removed)9.net>
"Paul Maskell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm planning to buy the Sony GX3 DVD recorder (Multi-region) very soon.
> Has anyone got this machine and can tell me any good or bad points about it?
> I REALLY want to get one in the next couple of days so that I can
> ditch my video.
> Is it easy to install and set up?

I've had no problems with mine.
It's had (and is having) considerable use and is still going strong. No
problems or glitches.

Bad points? Well, it's editing facilities are poor compared to those of
the Philips machines unless you use the nasty VR mode (which I never
do) but apart from that I can think of nothing.

Seaking personally, anything that uses the RAM format discs for
ReWritables (like the Panasonics....) should be avoided. RAM format
disc are incompatible with just about every other dvd player on the
planet. I cannot understand why people keep buying them.

As far as the other formats go, the Sony gives you the best of both
worlds, +RW, -RW and -R formats, take your choice.

Cheers!

--
Graham
The Main Control Room - www.thedeathzone.free-online.co.uk

Tony Whitfield

"The Doctor" <(E-Mail Removed)-online.co.uk> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)-online.co.uk...
> In message <Vc%zc.15843$(E-Mail Removed)9.net>
> "Paul Maskell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm planning to buy the Sony GX3 DVD recorder (Multi-region) very soon.
> > Has anyone got this machine and can tell me any good or bad points about

it?
> > I REALLY want to get one in the next couple of days so that I can
> > ditch my video.
> > Is it easy to install and set up?
> >

> I've had no problems with mine.
> It's had (and is having) considerable use and is still going strong. No
> problems or glitches.
>
> Bad points? Well, it's editing facilities are poor compared to those of
> the Philips machines unless you use the nasty VR mode (which I never
> do) but apart from that I can think of nothing.
>
> Seaking personally, anything that uses the RAM format discs for
> ReWritables (like the Panasonics....) should be avoided. RAM format
> disc are incompatible with just about every other dvd player on the
> planet. I cannot understand why people keep buying them.
>
> As far as the other formats go, the Sony gives you the best of both
> worlds, +RW, -RW and -R formats, take your choice.

RAM is just as good as a hard disc when coupled with a PC writer as well.
You are able to customise menus etc. Can't do that on your Sony mate.

That's wht people keep buying 'em )

Mark A

Paul Maskell wrote:

> any good or bad points about it?

For - excellent machine with RGB recording.

Bad - no NTSC recording, expensive.

Regards

Mark

Paul Maskell