Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Yet another aspect ratio question

Yet another aspect ratio question

Elias

I am SO CONFUSED about all the aspect ratio information I've been
reading here - but I do have what I think is a simple question.
I have a Sony VPLVW12HT projector. The manual states that when the
"full" aspect ratio is selected "the 16:9 squeezed image is displayed
with the correct aspect." I have noticed, however, that many
widescreen films - Seabiscuit for one - appears stretched when viewed
in the Full Aspect Ratio. Is this because Seabiscuit was filmed and
transferred to DVD in a wider aspect ration than 16:9?
Whether my supposition is right or wrong, is there a way to adjust the
projector so that the picture is as close as possible to the correct
aspect ratio?
Elias

Caloonese

The 16:9 image is squeezed only in anamorphic widescreen DVD. Your
symptom is very common when your DVD player is not set up correctly.
If your DVD player think that you have a 4:3 TV, it will frame a
letter box image in a 4:3 screen for you. So the output is no longer
squeezed (sideway). When you TV treats this normal picture as a
squeeze one, it will appear stretched.

So check two things.
1. the DVD player setup.
2. if the DVD is not anamorphic, but a regular letter boxed version,
then use the zoom mode instead of the full mode on your SONY.