Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Best character reveals

Best character reveals

JFR

The character reveal. You know, it's the moment when the main
character's face is introduced to the camera in a particularly cool way.

Off the top of my head, some of my favorite reveals fronm my DVD
collection include:
- Orson Welles' appearance from behind a newspaper in Citizen Kane
- Harrison Ford's in Raiders, following some whip action.

Any favorite reveals?

JF

Curtin/Dobbs

"JFR" <"jeanfr"@$$$.ca> wrote in message news:cakdk3$n46$(E-Mail Removed)...
> The character reveal. You know, it's the moment when the main
> character's face is introduced to the camera in a particularly cool way.
>
> Off the top of my head, some of my favorite reveals fronm my DVD
> collection include:
> - Orson Welles' appearance from behind a newspaper in Citizen Kane
> - Harrison Ford's in Raiders, following some whip action.
>
> Any favorite reveals?
>
> JF

Off the top of my head, a couple of Bogart's:

_Casablanca_. CU: hand signing, "OK Rick," on gambling receipt. CU: finger
taps chess piece. Pan to MCU of Bogart tugging on a cig and lookin' world
weary...

_Treasure of Sierra Madre_. Shot of large handbill on a wall announcing
lottery winners. Cut to(or pan back to?) Bogart disgustedly tearing up his
losing lottery ticket...(He'll wish that's the extent of the bad luck
that'll befall him.)

....Curtin/Dobbs

Mike Jackson

> The character reveal. You know, it's the moment when the main
> character's face is introduced to the camera in a particularly cool way.

It's a wide shot, but there's nearly nothing better than Darth Vader in "A
New Hope." You KNOW that a badass just entered the room.

Mike Jackson
Editor & Web Developer, DVD Verdict
www.dvdverdict.com

Mark W

> "What do I do now?", and a silhouetted William Shatner voice at the door
> replies, "Hope, Lieutenant, that the Klingons don't take any prisoners..."
>

> Derek Janssen (can you imagine a time when we were actually GLAD to see
> Shatner's Kirk?)

Oh yes, Shatner's Kirk. As opposed to.... all those other Kirks?

Seminal Johnson

> The character reveal. You know, it's the moment when the main
> character's face is introduced to the camera in a particularly cool way.

Not just his face exactly, nor is he the main character, but I don't think
there has been a better onscreen introduction of a character than Omar
Sharif's in "Lawrence of Arabia." Classic.

On the other side of the coin, Robert Duvall's exit in "Apocalypse Now" is
another favorite. After bombastically dominating the film for the past 20
minutes or more, he literally walks off screen as if he were exiting a stage
play, never to be seen again, with most of the film still left to go. The
film gets very quiet when he leaves.

Giovanni

"JFR" <"jeanfr"@$$$.ca> schreef in bericht
news:cakdk3$n46$(E-Mail Removed)...
> The character reveal. You know, it's the moment when the main
> character's face is introduced to the camera in a particularly cool

way.

> Off the top of my head, some of my favorite reveals fronm my DVD
> collection include:
> - Orson Welles' appearance from behind a newspaper in Citizen Kane
> - Harrison Ford's in Raiders, following some whip action.
>
> Any favorite reveals?

Henry Fonda in Once upon a time in the West.

Derek Janssen

Mike Jackson wrote:

>>The character reveal. You know, it's the moment when the main
>>character's face is introduced to the camera in a particularly cool way.

> It's a wide shot, but there's nearly nothing better than Darth Vader in "A
> New Hope." You KNOW that a badass just entered the room.

Probably not in the same league (nothing could be )--
But you *had* to have once suffered through Star Trek 1 and then been in
the audience for "Wrath of Khan" on opening night to fully appreciate
the scene where Kirstie Alley sees her ship about to be destroyed, says
"What do I do now?", and a silhouetted William Shatner voice at the door
replies, "Hope, Lieutenant, that the Klingons don't take any
prisoners..."

Derek Janssen (can you imagine a time when we were actually GLAD to see
Shatner's Kirk?)
(E-Mail Removed)

Mark Jones

"Derek Janssen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:40cddcc6$0$2997$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Derek Janssen (can you imagine a time when we were actually GLAD to see
> Shatner's Kirk?)

Every time a show from the original series was shown.

Matt Woodard

Orson Welles again in the Third Man.

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 20:57:31 +0200, "Giovanni"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"JFR" <"jeanfr"@$$$.ca> schreef in bericht
>news:cakdk3$n46$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> The character reveal. You know, it's the moment when the main
>> character's face is introduced to the camera in a particularly cool

>way.
>>
>> Off the top of my head, some of my favorite reveals fronm my DVD
>> collection include:
>> - Orson Welles' appearance from behind a newspaper in Citizen Kane
>> - Harrison Ford's in Raiders, following some whip action.
>>
>> Any favorite reveals?

>Henry Fonda in Once upon a time in the West.

Mike Kohary

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 10:44:19 -0400, JFR <"jeanfr"@$$$.ca> wrote:

>The character reveal. You know, it's the moment when the main
>character's face is introduced to the camera in a particularly cool way.
>
>Off the top of my head, some of my favorite reveals fronm my DVD
>collection include:
>- Orson Welles' appearance from behind a newspaper in Citizen Kane
>- Harrison Ford's in Raiders, following some whip action.
>
>Any favorite reveals?

The same moment in Raiders, and Darth Vader's appearance in Star Wars.
He walks through the smoke and surveys the carnage so cooly, so
approvingly - it sets his character right from the start.

Mike