Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Reliable portable dvd player?

Reliable portable dvd player?

Nicolas The Great

"Fred" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<wCryc.25138$(E-Mail Removed)> ...
> Lota portables out there. Any reliable ones? Reasonably priced? With
> optional batteries?

I'm looking for a 8 or 10 inch one that works. For some reason I can't
bring myself to buy a brand name that I don't know. Mintek, Initial,
or even Poloroid (they make film don't they?) The 10 inch screens
are very inpensive compared to the 8 inch ones. Even though it's for
fathers day for ME pops more than $500 is to much.

My sister and her old man swore about Apex brand but the two that
they got for my family broke within a year. I want a brand name.

Nick

Nicolas The Great

"luminos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> "Wade365" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > << he's buying lower-end equipment. >><BR><BR>
> >
> > Then he's a fool as well as a klutz.
> >
> > << I'm not a klutz (you disengenuous ignoramous) >><BR><BR>
> >
> > Put the dictionary down, it doesn't cover for your lack of COMMON SENSE.

> I am certain you are even more irritating and stupid in person than your net
> persona. Thanks for disregarding my data.

Jesus Christ I hate to read replies where half are attacks on others.
And I'm guilty has hell...Heh-heh!

Nick

Wade365

<< Put the dictionary down, it doesn't cover for your lack of COMMON SENSE.

I am certain you are even more irritating and stupid in person than your net
persona. Thanks for disregarding my data. >><BR><BR>

Hmmm.

You're the one who's making a sweeping statement about portables and calling a
majority of them untrustworthy. You came out of the box like a bull in a china
shop and gushed about all this-and-that which didn't work, and what headaches
they've caused you, and I don't exactly see anyone chiming in with similar
tales of woe... So my guess is you're in the minority because things seem to
break on you more often than they do in the hands of others.

Did you REALLY get lemon DVD players from ALL of those companies? Or could it
be that after buying and returning at least three or more players, for whatever
reason, you're harder than most on your electronics?

Sorry for calling you a klutz, but your facts, as presented, seem to indicate
that you are.

NOW you may consider yourself "diregarded"... You and your precious data.

luminos

"Wade365" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> << Put the dictionary down, it doesn't cover for your lack of COMMON

SENSE.

> I am certain you are even more irritating and stupid in person than your

net
> persona. Thanks for disregarding my data. >><BR><BR>
>
> Hmmm.
>
> You're the one who's making a sweeping statement about portables and

calling a
> majority of them untrustworthy. You came out of the box like a bull in a

china
> shop and gushed about all this-and-that which didn't work, and what

headaches
> they've caused you, and I don't exactly see anyone chiming in with similar
> tales of woe... So my guess is you're in the minority because things seem

> break on you more often than they do in the hands of others.
>
> Did you REALLY get lemon DVD players from ALL of those companies?

YES.

>Or could it
> be that after buying and returning at least three or more players, for

whatever
> reason, you're harder than most on your electronics?

No.

> Sorry for calling you a klutz, but your facts, as presented, seem to

indicate
> that you are.

Idiot.

luminos

You will not get a brand name 10 inch for $500 (I might suggest the Toshiba
8.9 inch..but it is more than $500). Get the extended warranty!
\

"Nicolas The Great" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> "Fred" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

news:<wCryc.25138$(E-Mail Removed)> ...
> > Lota portables out there. Any reliable ones? Reasonably priced? With
> > optional batteries?

> I'm looking for a 8 or 10 inch one that works. For some reason I can't
> bring myself to buy a brand name that I don't know. Mintek, Initial,
> or even Poloroid (they make film don't they?) The 10 inch screens
> are very inpensive compared to the 8 inch ones. Even though it's for
> fathers day for ME pops more than $500 is to much.
>
> My sister and her old man swore about Apex brand but the two that
> they got for my family broke within a year. I want a brand name.
>
> Nick

luminos

I suggest you go to amazon.com and cnet.com and look at all reviews for all
players (that have several reviews) and talley the satisfaction rate. I am
not alone in my observations.

Nicolas The Great

"luminos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> You will not get a brand name 10 inch for $500 (I might suggest the Toshiba
> 8.9 inch..but it is more than $500). Get the extended warranty!
> \
>
> "Nicolas The Great" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > "Fred" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> news:<wCryc.25138$(E-Mail Removed)> ...
> > > Lota portables out there. Any reliable ones? Reasonably priced? With
> > > optional batteries?

> > I'm looking for a 8 or 10 inch one that works. For some reason I can't
> > bring myself to buy a brand name that I don't know. Mintek, Initial,
> > or even Poloroid (they make film don't they?) The 10 inch screens
> > are very inpensive compared to the 8 inch ones. Even though it's for
> > fathers day for ME pops more than $500 is to much.
> >
> > My sister and her old man swore about Apex brand but the two that
> > they got for my family broke within a year. I want a brand name.
> >
> > Nick

Yeah I was just looking at that Toshiba. I want so bad to
get a 10 inch because my dad has trouble seeing anything
smaller. Father's day is around the corner and I got
to make up my mind by tomorrow.

By the way why is there an S-connector to some of these players?

Nick

Nicolas The Great

"luminos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> You will not get a brand name 10 inch for $500 (I might suggest the Toshiba
> 8.9 inch..but it is more than $500). Get the extended warranty!
> \
>
> "Nicolas The Great" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > "Fred" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> news:<wCryc.25138$(E-Mail Removed)> ...
> > > Lota portables out there. Any reliable ones? Reasonably priced? With
> > > optional batteries?

> > I'm looking for a 8 or 10 inch one that works. For some reason I can't
> > bring myself to buy a brand name that I don't know. Mintek, Initial,
> > or even Poloroid (they make film don't they?) The 10 inch screens
> > are very inpensive compared to the 8 inch ones. Even though it's for
> > fathers day for ME pops more than $500 is to much.
> >
> > My sister and her old man swore about Apex brand but the two that
> > they got for my family broke within a year. I want a brand name.
> >
> > Nick

Ah what the hell I'm going to buy this one - A 9-inch Panasonic.
I hope my dad likes it.

http://shop4.outpost.com/product/3124460

Nick

DVDfanatico

You can buy a region hack at
http://www.dvdcodes.net for your Dad if he likes watching DVD's from
www.amazon.uk or www.amazon.fr or www.amazon.de or www.amazon.jp

They list hacks for players at http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks

You can also find wroldwide DVD links at:
http://www.worldwidedvdforums.com/links.php

Wishing you all a happy Father's Day!