Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Mouse highlights check boxes in FF Prefs (linux)?

Mouse highlights check boxes in FF Prefs (linux)?

anc

When I move the mouse over a check box in the FF 1.5 Pref windows the check
boxes and radio buttons are filled in with the highlight color. Where did
THAT come from.... and how do I stop it? Is there some file I need to hack?

Thanks.

Al

Ed Mullen

anc wrote:
> When I move the mouse over a check box in the FF 1.5 Pref windows the check
> boxes and radio buttons are filled in with the highlight color. Where did
> THAT come from.... and how do I stop it? Is there some file I need to hack?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Al

Example URL?

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

anc

Ed Mullen wrote:

> anc wrote:
>> When I move the mouse over a check box in the FF 1.5 Pref windows the
>> check boxes and radio buttons are filled in with the highlight color.
>> Where did THAT come from.... and how do I stop it? Is there some file I
>> need to hack?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Al
>>

> Example URL?

Not in a web page but in any of the check boxes or radio buttons in the
Preference screens.

Al

Leonidas Jones

anc wrote:
> Ed Mullen wrote:
>
>> anc wrote:
>>> When I move the mouse over a check box in the FF 1.5 Pref windows the
>>> check boxes and radio buttons are filled in with the highlight color.
>>> Where did THAT come from.... and how do I stop it? Is there some file I
>>> need to hack?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> Al
>>>

>> Example URL?
>>

> Not in a web page but in any of the check boxes or radio buttons in the
> Preference screens.
>
> Al

Perhaps I am misunderstanding you. Mac OSX seems to behave the same way,
but but everything works, I can check and uncheck everything I need to.
Could you expand on your problem?

Lee

Ed Mullen

anc wrote:
> Ed Mullen wrote:
>
>> anc wrote:
>>> When I move the mouse over a check box in the FF 1.5 Pref windows the
>>> check boxes and radio buttons are filled in with the highlight color.
>>> Where did THAT come from.... and how do I stop it? Is there some file I
>>> need to hack?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> Al
>>>

>> Example URL?
>>

> Not in a web page but in any of the check boxes or radio buttons in the
> Preference screens.
>
> Al

If it's just the check box/radio button, that seems to be normal
behavior for 1.5. There's probably a CSS hack in the userChrom or
userContent files for this but I haven't a clue. Is this really that
objectionable to you? It's just a little highlight to help track your
mouse movement.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Ed Mullen

Leonidas Jones wrote:
> anc wrote:
>> Ed Mullen wrote:

>>> Example URL?
>>>

>> Not in a web page but in any of the check boxes or radio buttons in the
>> Preference screens.
>>
>> Al
>>

> Perhaps I am misunderstanding you. Mac OSX seems to behave the same way,
> but but everything works, I can check and uncheck everything I need to.
> Could you expand on your problem?
>
> Lee

I'm guessing it's an aesthetic objection.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

anc

Ed Mullen wrote:

> anc wrote:
>> Ed Mullen wrote:

>>> Example URL?
>>>

>> Not in a web page but in any of the check boxes or radio buttons in the
>> Preference screens.
>>
>> Al
>>

> If it's just the check box/radio button, that seems to be normal
> behavior for 1.5. There's probably a CSS hack in the userChrom or
> userContent files for this but I haven't a clue. Is this really that
> objectionable to you? It's just a little highlight to help track your
> mouse movement.

It's not a big deal. I just don't have one other program where this happens.
So it looked strange to me. I find it irritating at worst and a waste of
good machine cycles at best (granted machine cycles are cheap these days.)
I would like to get rid of it if possible so I'll hunt through some of the
chrome stuff. Thanks,

Al

Ed Mullen

anc wrote:
> Ed Mullen wrote:
>
>> anc wrote:

>>> Not in a web page but in any of the check boxes or radio buttons in the
>>> Preference screens.
>>>
>>> Al
>>>

>> If it's just the check box/radio button, that seems to be normal
>> behavior for 1.5. There's probably a CSS hack in the userChrom or
>> userContent files for this but I haven't a clue. Is this really that
>> objectionable to you? It's just a little highlight to help track your
>> mouse movement.
>>

> It's not a big deal. I just don't have one other program where this happens.
> So it looked strange to me. I find it irritating at worst and a waste of
> good machine cycles at best (granted machine cycles are cheap these days.)
> I would like to get rid of it if possible so I'll hunt through some of the
> chrome stuff. Thanks,
>
> Al

Understood. But interesting. I have seen this kind of UI styling in many
programs and on the Web. I'm abivalent about it in most cases but
sometimes I wish it were there in certain designs where it's difficult
to tell if you're hovering over the exact right spot to make a selection.

And you're right, concern over machine cycles for things like this has
been irrelevant for years.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net