Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Thunderbird over Microsoft Outlook?

Thunderbird over Microsoft Outlook?

DoubleDoom

> I have both.
> T'bird does everything I need ESPECIALLT the way it handles spam.
> You came swap between the two or run both if you wish.
> For more details look here:
> http://www.mozilla.org/support/thunderbird/faq

Outlook is still sufficiently more advanced on the free spam handling
side then TB. The integration with pocket PCs and other applications
can be more desirable too (if you have those things).

Personally, I use Outlook for business mail and TB for personal.

David

Midnight Moocher

Thanks for the replies,

I currently use Outlook Express at home and Outlook at work. Have enjoyed
using OE. It's got a nice look and handles my personal mail quite nicely.
But when I've finished my new system in February, I'll be switching to
Outlook at home.

Only just started using Firefox and thought I'd look into Thunderbird.

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?S=F8ren_L=F8bner?=

Midnight Moocher wrote:
> Thanks for the replies,
>
> I currently use Outlook Express at home and Outlook at work. Have enjoyed
> using OE. It's got a nice look and handles my personal mail quite nicely.
> But when I've finished my new system in February, I'll be switching to
> Outlook at home.
>
> Only just started using Firefox and thought I'd look into Thunderbird.

You're most welcome...
Whatever choice works for you, we're glad to help

--
Søren

ahm4me ahm4me is offline
Junior Member

Thanx all 4 such a fruitfull discussion.

I am currently using T-bird as my official mail client.

Simultaniously I am fond of MS Office & most of my working depends on MS Office.

The problem I am facing with T-bird is that I am very much fond of using Tables in my mails, but whenever i copy & paste these tables in T-bird, they got lose their sturcuture, further these tables are not editable there. Consequently messages losts its look and sometime data in tables cannot be readable.

This is why i am intended to switch back to Outlook. If i can get the solution for the same i won't do this.

Last edited by ahm4me; 07-27-2007 at 10:57 AM..

andrewhcu andrewhcu is offline
Junior Member

I've been using Thunderbird for almost 4 years now, and it's never felt right. I've done my best to tinker with the settings and learn the ins and outs of it, but it seems like it hasn't been too agreeable.

Issues I've had with it are:

Contacts - It endlessly adds contacts. Duplicates, triplicates, people that are on threads of other emails. It's crazy. I can't believe that it can't recognize that I already have a contact with that same exact email address in there, and feels the need to add another one. Also, just because someone was copied on an email sent to me, it doesn't mean I want that person to be my contact.

Forwarding emails - A lot of times when I forward an email I'll want to refer to the email below. But Thunderbird doesn't give that option, because I can't see what I'm forwarding. Also, it seems to not forward forwarded HTML (I'm guessing?). I got an email, forwarded it to my wife and referenced what I was forwarding and she had no idea what I was talking about because it didn't forward (what I think was) the HTML part.

Pictures - I guess this is for protection, but I couldn't find a way to have the pictures auto-download. Is this a protection feature?

The ease of exporting to another email program - Extremely time consuming. I had to download IMAP and convert each of my folders seperately, and create new folders in Outlook Express, and drag and drop them all.

With all of that said, I really want to make this work. I love Firefox, and deep down I feel that Thunderbird is probably a safer more secure system than OE. Can anyone comment on the above and help me get more out of Thunderbird? Or, could you comment on whether it's just a matter of time before OE downloads a virus or something?

Or, can you tell me how to get my contacts into OE from Thunderbird? That's really the last thing I would need to do before making a break.

Thanks for reading and for your help.