Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > Mp3-player - how to play an mp3?

Mp3-player - how to play an mp3?

Asle Frantzen

I'm thinking of throwing myself into a small mp3/media-player
project, but I have a few things I'd like to know first.

I've been programming with c++ since I started learning it
appr. one year ago, so I don't have too much experience.

What do I need in order to make a program that opens
an mp3-file, plays it and displays the the info embedded
in it (artist, song, album etc.)?

Some sort of SDK?

Could someone point me in the right direction, maybe a
webpage somewhere has an explaination/code example...

Thanks!

-af

Mike Wahler

Asle Frantzen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:HgzOa.11642$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm thinking of throwing myself into a small mp3/media-player
> project, but I have a few things I'd like to know first.
>
> I've been programming with c++ since I started learning it
> appr. one year ago, so I don't have too much experience.
>
> What do I need in order to make a program that opens
> an mp3-file, plays it and displays the the info embedded
> in it (artist, song, album etc.)?
>
> Some sort of SDK?
>
> Could someone point me in the right direction, maybe a
> webpage somewhere has an explaination/code example...

<OT>
For Windows platforms, see www.msdn.microsoft.com

For other platforms, find a support site for that
platform. Google is your friend.
</OT>

BTW none of this is topical here, where only the
ISO standard C++ *language* itself is discussed.

Before posting here again, please see:
http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt

Thank you.

-Mike

Alexander Terekhov

Mike Wahler wrote:
[...]
> Google is your friend.

It seems that idiocy is your permanent state.

regards,
alexander.

Asle Frantzen

Mike Wahler wrote:
> BTW none of this is topical here, where only the
> ISO standard C++ *language* itself is discussed.

Thats what I was wondering about, really.

Is there a method that lets me play an mp3-file, in the
standard C++ language?

(Windows, *nix, etc. - they all play mp3's so why shouldn't
there be ways of playing them with the c++ language?)

And one more thing: are there any websites with a
complete (and searchable) 'listing' of the c++ language?
(For example a site that would be for c++ what php.net is for PHP...)

Thanks!

..a

John Harrison

"Asle Frantzen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:8ECOa.11696$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Mike Wahler wrote:
> > BTW none of this is topical here, where only the
> > ISO standard C++ *language* itself is discussed.

> Thats what I was wondering about, really.
>
> Is there a method that lets me play an mp3-file, in the
> standard C++ language?
>
> (Windows, *nix, etc. - they all play mp3's so why shouldn't
> there be ways of playing them with the c++ language?)

C++ is not that kind of language. It was designed for toasters and
refridgerators, and most of those cannot play mp3's. Its also the reason
that C++ does not even support the notion of a keyboard.

> And one more thing: are there any websites with a
> complete (and searchable) 'listing' of the c++ language?
> (For example a site that would be for c++ what php.net is for PHP...)
>
> Thanks!
>
> .a

I like this http://www.dinkumware.com/manuals/reader.aspx?lib=cpp which is a
description of the Standard C++ library. But its mainly data structures and
basic alogirthms. You going to be disappointed if your idea of a good
language is one that has native support for mp3 playing.

john

Kelsey Bjarnason

On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 18:51:31 +0200, Asle Frantzen wrote:

> Mike Wahler wrote:
>> BTW none of this is topical here, where only the
>> ISO standard C++ *language* itself is discussed.

> Thats what I was wondering about, really.
>
> Is there a method that lets me play an mp3-file, in the
> standard C++ language?

In a word, no.

> (Windows, *nix, etc. - they all play mp3's so why shouldn't
> there be ways of playing them with the c++ language?)

Windows, Linux, et al are operating systems. Not even all operating
systems offer support for multimedia so such support, while popular, is
hardly universal even there. Now consider that C++ knows nothing of
hardware, device drivers and the like and it isn't suprising that C++ is
even less likely to support multimedia.

More to the point, though, is that C++ is intended to be usable even where
multimedia support isn't available, hence lacks support for such features.

What games do you play? stlava Gaming 38 05-16-2013 05:50 PM
To play or not to play bhuckle@bigpond.net.au DVD Video 1 08-01-2007 07:18 AM
PLAY MORE VIDEO GAMES WITH GOTTA PLAY Paul Heslop Digital Photography 0 05-21-2007 11:40 AM

Advertisments