Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > Re: [OT, welcome msg, link] thread programming with c++

Re: [OT, welcome msg, link] thread programming with c++

Mike Wahler

Yu Cao <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:be7eou$qap$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Mike Wahler" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
> >Thomas Porschberg <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> >> What I'm looking for is a good book which is a reliable guide
> >> in the C++/Thread field.

> >I doubt there is such a thing, since threading is entirely
> >dependent upon the host platform. What you need is information
> >on 'threading and C++ for <insert platform here>.

> Well, here's a book I read:
>
> Object-Oriented Multithreading Using C++
> by Cameron Hughes (Author), Tracey Hughes (Author)
>
> I didn't care too much for it, but it got decent reviews on amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...483277-5446230
?vi=glance

I place no credibility upon the reviews posted by
Amazon, for reasons which should be obvious.

> and came up "highly recommended" on accu.org:

http://www.accu.org/cgi-bin/accu/rvo...__&file=o00167
8a

I don't doubt this is a fine book, but note the 'categories'
indicated therein: "MS Windows", and "Advanced C++".

Any example code, etc. must needs use platform-specifics.
It seems they chose to use Windows.

My point was that the 'topic' "threading with C++"
is meaningless without a specific context (i.e. platform),
and that each platform can and does implement it in its
own way.

-Mike

Yu Cao

"Mike Wahler" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>Yu Cao <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:be7eou$qap$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "Mike Wahler" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>>
>> >Thomas Porschberg <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> >news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> >I doubt there is such a thing, since threading is entirely
>> >dependent upon the host platform. What you need is information
>> >on 'threading and C++ for <insert platform here>.

>> Well, here's a book I read:
>>
>> Object-Oriented Multithreading Using C++
>> by Cameron Hughes (Author), Tracey Hughes (Author)
>>
>> I didn't care too much for it, but it got decent reviews on amazon.com:
>>

>http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...483277-5446230
>?vi=glance

>I place no credibility upon the reviews posted by
>Amazon, for reasons which should be obvious.

>> and came up "highly recommended" on accu.org:
>>

>http://www.accu.org/cgi-bin/accu/rvo...__&file=o00167
>8a

>I don't doubt this is a fine book, but note the 'categories'
>indicated therein: "MS Windows", and "Advanced C++".

>Any example code, etc. must needs use platform-specifics.
>It seems they chose to use Windows.

>My point was that the 'topic' "threading with C++"
>is meaningless without a specific context (i.e. platform),
>and that each platform can and does implement it in its
>own way.

I don't totally discount amazon.com reviews. Although the number of
stars seem to have become inflated compared to a few years ago, without
too much effort you can still tell which review entries came from real
readers.

Th Hughes books purports to be a "platform independent" treatment,
and if I remember correctly there are wrapper classes for the OS-level
entities. Yes, there are definitely platform-dependent subtleties, but
I think you would be going too far by saying there are no conceptual
commonalities. I know it seems to be the common wisdom of the regulars
here to stress the platform dependency, but in my experience having
programmed in C++/pthreads it was then much easier to do C++/VxWorks
or even Java threads. And the feel of programming threads with objects
is quite different from programming threads in a procedural language
or framework, don't you think?

My major complaint about the book is there's way too much padding.
It really is very repetitive. If it were half as thick and costs half
as much, it'd be a great book.

--Yu