Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > How to print from pc B

How to print from pc B

=?Utf-8?B?bmV3bmV0d29ya3hw?=

Hope better reponse from here ..Please walk me through how can I print from
pc B.

At the moment my pc A is connected by cable + rj45 to a linksys gateway,
which has an epson printer XYZ connected (usb). I can go internet and also
print from pc A.
Computer B have a linksys usb adapter and I can go to internet.
I have tried various microsoft kb but I dont seems to get it right. Both
pc's showed the 'sharing hand' and when I try to print a docs from B, it will
have a job waiting to be printed but nothing got printed.

At pc B, when I right click printer, sharing, port tag- there is no "Usb
virtual printer port", where as it shows in pc A. Was it because when I
install the printer driver in B, I choose LP1?

For pc A, when I click sharing/then "if you understand...", the do I check
"just enable sharing printer"?

..... so please walk me through, thanks

Malke

newnetworkxp wrote:

> Hope better reponse from here ..Please walk me through how can I print
> from pc B.
>
> At the moment my pc A is connected by cable + rj45 to a linksys
> gateway, which has an epson printer XYZ connected (usb). I can go
> internet and also
> print from pc A.
> Computer B have a linksys usb adapter and I can go to internet.
> I have tried various microsoft kb but I dont seems to get it right.
> Both pc's showed the 'sharing hand' and when I try to print a docs
> from B, it will have a job waiting to be printed but nothing got
> printed.
>
> At pc B, when I right click printer, sharing, port tag- there is no
> "Usb virtual printer port", where as it shows in pc A. Was it because
> when I install the printer driver in B, I choose LP1?
>
> For pc A, when I click sharing/then "if you understand...", the do I
> check "just enable sharing printer"?

Things to do/check:

1. On both computers - which presumably have Windows XP - make sure you
have only one firewall running. Service Pack 2 automatically enables
the Windows Firewall. If you are not running a third-party firewall, go
to the Windows Firewall applet in Control Panel and enable File &
Printer Sharing on the Exceptions tab. If you are using a third-party
firewall (and have properly configured it to allow your lan traffic as
Trusted), then turn the Windows Firewall off.

2. Usually running the Network Setup Wizard will take care of setting
up the Local Area Network (lan) properly. The gotcha is that it will
enable the SP2 firewall and you will need to disable it after running
the Wizard if you have a third-party firewall.

3. On the computer with the printer attached locally, right-click the
printer icon and choose Sharing. Just enable it.

4. On the remote computer without the printer attached, start the Add
Printer Wizard. You want to choose a "network printer or printer
connected to another computer". If you've set up your lan properly as
above, the printer will show up. Here it sounds like you installed the
printer locally on the remote computer which is incorrect.

5. If both computers are running XP Pro, make sure that the setting for
Simple Sharing (Folder Options>View) matches. If Simple Sharing is
unchecked (Pro only), then create identical user accounts/passwords on
both computers.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

=?Utf-8?B?bmV3bmV0d29ya3hw?=

many thanks for your help. i got it working now.