Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Adblock?

Adblock?

iamu@me.com

Someone suggested Adblock for FF1.5....fine but how do I allow websites
using this program?? I notice a small label on the bottom right corner of
the browser "adblock" but I can't see anywhere to allow this site??
*sigh*

Thanks

Howard Leighty

Would it perhaps achieve your ad-blocking goals to install and run a HOSTS
file?
You can learn the details of this and download a very nice HOSTS file at URL
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:wDBvf.258563$ki.184492@pd7tw2no...
> Someone suggested Adblock for FF1.5....fine but how do I allow websites
> using this program?? I notice a small label on the bottom right corner of
> the browser "adblock" but I can't see anywhere to allow this site??
> *sigh*
>
> Thanks

Leonidas Jones

Howard Leighty wrote:
> Would it perhaps achieve your ad-blocking goals to install and run a HOSTS
> file?
> You can learn the details of this and download a very nice HOSTS file at URL
> http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
>

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:wDBvf.258563$ki.184492@pd7tw2no...
>> Someone suggested Adblock for FF1.5....fine but how do I allow websites
>> using this program?? I notice a small label on the bottom right corner of
>> the browser "adblock" but I can't see anywhere to allow this site??
>> *sigh*
>>
>> Thanks

I concur, a good hosts file generally makes AdBlock unnecessary.

Lee

iamu@me.com

Thanks for the idea but seems hosts files are much more technical people. I
started reading bout them but seems very complicated to set up and run.

Leonidas Jones

> Thanks for the idea but seems hosts files are much more technical people. I
> started reading bout them but seems very complicated to set up and run.

There are many prewritten hosts files available. Mine is a copy of the
one available here:

http://k75s.home.att.net/tips.html#hosts

And the one the is added by Sbybot Search and Destroy:

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/

I find it very effective.

Lee

Stubby

Leonidas Jones wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the idea but seems hosts files are much more technical
>> people. I
>> started reading bout them but seems very complicated to set up and run.

> There are many prewritten hosts files available. Mine is a copy of the
> one available here:
>
> http://k75s.home.att.net/tips.html#hosts
>
> And the one the is added by Sbybot Search and Destroy:
>
> http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/
>
> I find it very effective.
>
> Lee

I run SpyBot regularly and never new it installed a hosts file. Good
news: You're right it did. Bad news: the content is just a place holder.

So, users should download the file mentioned above and put it in
(on Win2K) C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\etc

Howard Leighty

Using a HOSTS file is not at all too technical, even
for relative novice users. Maybe I can simplify it for you.

Let's suppose that you are running some flavor of
Windows XP or Windows 2000. There will already
be a specimen HOSTS file that comes with the
operating system. You can find it at this location:

(for Windows 2000)
C:\WINNT\System32\drivers\etc\HOSTS
(just like that; there is no file extension)

(for Windows XP)
C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\etc\HOSTS
(just like that; there is no file extension)

The best way to view or edit a HOSTS file is to use
NOTEPAD.

The original specimen HOSTS file contains only one
active entry. That entry is "127.0.0.1 localhost."
(omit the " " characters) This line must be present in
any HOSTS file in order for the file to work properly.

All other lines in the original specimen file are
comments. All comments in the HOSTS file begin
with the # character followed by a SPACE character
and then followed by whatever other content is intended
for the comment.

{{Sidebar trivia issue: -- most people know that:
The * character is called "asterisk" and
The & character is called "ampersand".
But few people know the name of the # character.
The # character is called "octothorpe"
You can verify the word by a Google search}}

All that is required to install a really good HOSTS file is
to use any one of the ones already mentioned, or a
merge of all three, and simply replace the original
specimen HOSTS file with whichever one of the other
HOSTS files you like best or a merged version.

The one I use and like the best is found at
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

Here is how a HOSTS file works:
The Hosts file contains the mappings of IP addresses to
certain host names. The HOSTS file is loaded into memory
at startup. Windows checks the Hosts file before it queries
any DNS servers.This enables it to override DNS addresses.

If the IP address specified for a hostname in the HOSTS file is
127.0.0.1 (the universal IP address for the loopback adapter
on the local machine) then this prevents access to the listed
sites by redirecting any connection attempts into the loopback
adapter on the local machine.

In other words, the connection attempt fails and to the user it
seems that any content associated with that connection simply
disappears into the bit bucket and does not appear in the
browser. You will identify that this has occurred because
the redirected content on a web page will result in a
message saying "Action Cancelled" in Internet Explorer 6.0
or it might say "Unable To Connect" in Mozilla Firefox 1.5.

Such messages are normal and indicate that your HOSTS
file is doing its job of suppressing known sources of ads
and other unwanted content. You can use a HOSTS file to
block ads, banners, 3rd party Cookies, 3rd party page
counters, web bugs, and even most hijackers.

However, a HOSTS file cannot stop all on-screen ads.
There are other technologies such as Javascript and
Macromedia Flash, among others, that still allow ads
to appear in the browser.

OK, I admit that this next part is a little bit technical and
requires some knowledge of using the DOS command
window and DOS commands.

Once you have chosen and installed a HOSTS file, it is
generally a good idea to open a DOS command window
in the local folder where the HOSTS file resides and use
the DOS command

ATTRIB +R +A +S +H HOSTS

This will set the Read-Only, System, & Hidden file attributes.
Doing this prevents any tampering with the HOSTS file by
preventing any foreign scripts from deleting or renaming
the HOSTS file in order to kill it. In some cases, setting
these file attributes will make the HOSTS file invisible to
the user, but it is still there nonetheless and fully functional.

If you want to later view or edit the HOSTS file, you will want
to open a DOS window in the folder where you know the
HOSTS file exists and use the DOS command

ATTRIB -R -A -S -H HOSTS

This will unset those file attributes and allow you to view and
edit (and save the changes) the HOSTS file to either comment
out certain sites that are blocked that you really do want to see
(e.g. some eBay sites) or to add other sites you find obnoxious
that are not already listed in the HOSTS file.

Once the editing is done, you should again use the ATTRIB
command as described above to set all the attributes again
to protect the HOSTS file from any unwanted tampering.

Usually you can close the DOS command window by one of
two ways:
(1) Type EXIT and press ENTER, (always works) or
(2) Click on the X button in the upper right part of the Title Bar.

I hope this information proves to be helpful.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:ZFHvf.146944$2k.6643@pd7tw1no...
> Thanks for the idea but seems hosts files are much more technical people.

> started reading bout them but seems very complicated to set up and run.

iamu@me.com

Wow, thanks for a full explanation. I mostly understood the first part.
When it got to DOS I remain a bit confused.

I will check it out in my winxp OS. See whats under the hosts files.

Can I f*&^^%% up anything by trying to use hosts files?? whats the worse
that can happen hahaha.

thanks

Ed Mullen

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Wow, thanks for a full explanation. I mostly understood the first part.
> When it got to DOS I remain a bit confused.
>
> I will check it out in my winxp OS. See whats under the hosts files.
>
> Can I f*&^^%% up anything by trying to use hosts files?? whats the worse
> that can happen hahaha.
>
> thanks

You won't cause any permanent problem. The worst thing might be that
you somehow "break" the hosts file and your net access is impaired. To
fix it you just delete (or rename) the HOSTS file and reboot.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Leonidas Jones

Stubby wrote:
> Leonidas Jones wrote:
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks for the idea but seems hosts files are much more technical
>>> people. I
>>> started reading bout them but seems very complicated to set up and run.

>> There are many prewritten hosts files available. Mine is a copy of the
>> one available here:
>>
>> http://k75s.home.att.net/tips.html#hosts
>>
>> And the one the is added by Sbybot Search and Destroy:
>>
>> http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/
>>
>> I find it very effective.
>>
>> Lee
>>

> I run SpyBot regularly and never new it installed a hosts file. Good
> news: You're right it did. Bad news: the content is just a place holder.
>
> So, users should download the file mentioned above and put it in
> (on Win2K) C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\etc

Just a place holder? I'm not sure what you mean?

Lee