Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > Newbie question..

Newbie question..

Juda

C++ for the web Is this possible?

I read many article on using C++ to create web based applications.
but I have yet to find any that state C++ can be used for the web.
I have seen an article that shows that a program called "Neo"
can create executables and can be placed in html code to process
server commands, again, I have yet to fully see anything that
states that C++ can be used for the web.

Can any experts help me out. Is this possible.
--
The truth depends on, or is only arrived at by,
a legitimate deduction from all the facts which

All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
- Edmund Burke

When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one
by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.
-David Sisler

Jack Klein

On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 22:31:01 -0500, Juda <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
comp.lang.c++:

> C++ for the web Is this possible?
>
> I read many article on using C++ to create web based applications.
> but I have yet to find any that state C++ can be used for the web.

You're going to have to explain what you mean better. What does "used
for the web" mean to you, exactly. If you can use C++ to create web
based applications, does that not mean that it can be "used for the
web"?

> I have seen an article that shows that a program called "Neo"
> can create executables and can be placed in html code to process
> server commands, again, I have yet to fully see anything that
> states that C++ can be used for the web.
>
> Can any experts help me out. Is this possible.

Actually, you're barking up the wrong tree in this group. The
standard C++ language, which is the topic of this newsgroup, does not
provide any support for "the web" or any other sort of networking.

Nevertheless, many operating systems (desk top and work station, that
is), provide their own particular system specific extensions to do
these things, and C++ compilers for these systems provide ways to
access these system-specific functions.

But since these are system-specific extensions, and not part of the
standard language, they are discussed in system-specific groups and
not here.

--
Jack Klein
Home: http://JK-Technology.Com

Jack Klein

On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 01:12:08 -0500, Juda <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
comp.lang.c++:

> ,---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
> |---[From: Jack Klein <(E-Mail Removed)>:
> |---[Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 05:39:48 GMT:
> |---[news:comp.lang.c++:
> |---[wrote:
> |
> |---On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 22:31:01 -0500, Juda <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> |---comp.lang.c++:
> |---
> |---> C++ for the web Is this possible?
> |--->
> |---> I read many article on using C++ to create web based applications.
> |---> but I have yet to find any that state C++ can be used for the web.
> |---
> |---You're going to have to explain what you mean better. What does "used
> |---for the web" mean to you, exactly. If you can use C++ to create web
> |---based applications, does that not mean that it can be "used for the
> |---web"?
> |---
>
> Sorry, I'll try this explanation. What I am trying to find out, if what the
> usage of C++ on the web can be refered as. I know this is a wierd
> question, but I have been told that "C++ for the web" is not possible,
> has never been possible, and never will be possible."

You still haven't explained what you mean by that term. There is no
definition of "for the web" in the C++ language standard, nor in any
other recognized standard that I know of.

> I know that C++ can be used to create, support, or enhance web based
> applications (activeX, COM), but can that usage be defined as
> "C++ for the web".? Or is that usage differenet and not defined as
> "for the web".

Not until and unless you actually provide a concrete definition of the
phrase "for the web".

> I have been told:
> "A web application of a C++ executable (activeX, COM).
> Is not "C++ for the web". There is no such thing."
>
> I hope someone expert can help me understand if this is correct, or incorrect.
> I would really hate to begin learning programming for the internet if this
> person is incorrect in his assertion. I hope I was a little clearer.

No, it's not clear what "this person" is talking about. Ask him/her
to provide a definition of what "for the web" means. Off-hand he/she
sounds like a pompous windbag.

To state that something is or is not "some phrase", where "some
phrase" has no formal definition, and without providing a definition
for "some phrase" is meaningless.

--
Jack Klein
Home: http://JK-Technology.Com

pw

[snip]
I think you are looking for XML, Perl, PHP type languages dude.
These languages are interface type languages with the Web that are "run" on
platforms usually written in other languages (like C++, VBasic etc). But
even this is changing, Perl and PHP (as far as I know) can now be used to
write their own application/environment. But you need to ask that to another
person way more qualified than me.

This NG is specifically for C++, you need to ask a question in other groups,
try other language groups.
comp.lang.perl
comp.lang.php etc

Hope this helps.

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Juli=E1n?= Albo

Jack Klein escribió:

> Actually, you're barking up the wrong tree in this group. The
> standard C++ language, which is the topic of this newsgroup, does not
> provide any support for "the web" or any other sort of networking.
> Nevertheless, many operating systems (desk top and work station, that
> is), provide their own particular system specific extensions to do
> these things, and C++ compilers for these systems provide ways to
> access these system-specific functions.

You can write a standard C++ program that writes in the standard output
that, when called from a web server as a cgi, produces a result "for the
web", whitout any system-specific function or whatever.

Regards.

-linux_lad

,-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------.
>>> ---[From: Jack Klein <(E-Mail Removed)>:
>>> ---[Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 05:39:48 GMT:
>>> ---[news:comp.lang.c++:
>>> ---[wrote:
>>>
>>> ---On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 22:31:01 -0500, Juda <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>> ---comp.lang.c++:
>>> ---
>>> ---> C++ for the web Is this possible?
>>> --->
>>> ---> I read many article on using C++ to create web based
>>> applications.
>>> ---> but I have yet to find any that state C++ can be used for the
>>> web.
>>> ---
>>> ---You're going to have to explain what you mean better. What does
>>> "used
>>> ---for the web" mean to you, exactly. If you can use C++ to create
>>> web
>>> ---based applications, does that not mean that it can be "used for
>>> the
>>> ---web"?
>>> ---

>> Sorry, I'll try this explanation. What I am trying to find out, if
>> what the
>> usage of C++ on the web can be refered as. I know this is a wierd
>> question, but I have been told that "C++ for the web" is not
>> possible,
>> has never been possible, and never will be possible."

> You still haven't explained what you mean by that term. There is no
> definition of "for the web" in the C++ language standard, nor in any
> other recognized standard that I know of.
>
>> I know that C++ can be used to create, support, or enhance web based
>> applications (activeX, COM), but can that usage be defined as
>> "C++ for the web".? Or is that usage differenet and not defined as
>> "for the web".

> Not until and unless you actually provide a concrete definition of the
> phrase "for the web".
>
>> I have been told:
>> "A web application of a C++ executable (activeX, COM).
>> Is not "C++ for the web". There is no such thing."
>>
>> I hope someone expert can help me understand if this is correct, or
>> incorrect.
>> I would really hate to begin learning programming for the internet
>> if this
>> person is incorrect in his assertion. I hope I was a little clearer.

> No, it's not clear what "this person" is talking about. Ask him/her
> to provide a definition of what "for the web" means. Off-hand he/she
> sounds like a pompous windbag.

This argument started in another newsgroup. I'm the person who asserts that there is
such thing as C++ for the web". I presume that you weren't suggesting that I'm a
pompous windbag and that you're referring to the person who's making this silly
claim about "C++ for the web". What I mean is that there is no formal distinction or
definition of C++ specifically for the "web", and there is no discipline called "C++
for the web". This person indicated that he had mastered "C++ for the web", but
provided no other details. He used this term to describe his level of competance in
C++. I've not encoutered this term yet. If I'm incorrect, can someone post a link
that describes the difference between "C++ for the web" and C++?

> To state that something is or is not "some phrase", where "some
> phrase" has no formal definition, and without providing a definition
> for "some phrase" is meaningless.

I agree.

Regards,
--
-ll
To verify that this post isn't forged, click here:

Thomas Matthews

Juda wrote:
> C++ for the web Is this possible?
>
> I read many article on using C++ to create web based applications.
> but I have yet to find any that state C++ can be used for the web.
> I have seen an article that shows that a program called "Neo"
> can create executables and can be placed in html code to process
> server commands, again, I have yet to fully see anything that
> states that C++ can be used for the web.
>
> Can any experts help me out. Is this possible.
> --

It is possible, using platform specific extensions or functions,
to write a program that will talk to the internet using
C++.

One primary difference between Java, HTML, PDF as compared
to C++ is that the afore mention languages are interpreted.
If the receiving platform has an interpreter for those
"web" languages, then they can be executed on the receiving
platform. C++ is a non-interpretive language. In order
for a C++ source to be executed on a receiving platform,
the code must be translated into an executable on the
receiving platform, then executed.

Executing a C++ source on different platforms is easier
said than done. A _conforming_ C++ program is supposed
to be able to run on every platform; but that depends
on how much of the conforming stuff is implemented on
the platform (embedded systems included).

--
Thomas Matthews

C++ newsgroup welcome message:
http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt
alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++ faq:
Other sites:

-linux_lad

-linux_lad wrote:
> Jack Klein wrote:

> This argument started in another newsgroup. I'm the person who
> asserts that there is such thing as C++ for the web". I presume that
> you weren't suggesting that I'm a pompous windbag and that you're
> referring to the person who's making this silly claim about "C++ for
> the web". What I mean is that there is no formal distinction or
> definition of C++ specifically for the "web", and there is no
> discipline called "C++ for the web". This person indicated that he
> had mastered "C++ for the web", but provided no other details. He
> used this term to describe his level of competance in C++. I've not
> encoutered this term yet. If I'm incorrect, can someone post a link
> that describes the difference between "C++ for the web" and C++?

FYI, this should read "asserts that there is no such thing as C++ for the web". I
left the "no" out.

--
-ll
To verify that this post isn't forged, click here:
http://www.spoofproof.org/verify.php...6891ef5c230e21

Jack Klein

On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 10:31:12 -0700, "-linux_lad" <john at linuxlad dot
org> wrote in comp.lang.c++:

> -linux_lad wrote:
> > Jack Klein wrote:

> > This argument started in another newsgroup. I'm the person who
> > asserts that there is such thing as C++ for the web". I presume that
> > you weren't suggesting that I'm a pompous windbag and that you're
> > referring to the person who's making this silly claim about "C++ for
> > the web". What I mean is that there is no formal distinction or
> > definition of C++ specifically for the "web", and there is no
> > discipline called "C++ for the web". This person indicated that he
> > had mastered "C++ for the web", but provided no other details. He
> > used this term to describe his level of competance in C++. I've not
> > encoutered this term yet. If I'm incorrect, can someone post a link
> > that describes the difference between "C++ for the web" and C++?
> >

> FYI, this should read "asserts that there is no such thing as C++ for the web". I
> left the "no" out.

Given your definition of the phrase, as corrected in this post, I
completely agree with you. My argument with the OP was that he asked
for agreement or disagreement with a statement using a undefined term.

BTW, I would phrase this:

"There is no such thing as C++ SPECIFICALLY for the web."

--
Jack Klein
Home: http://JK-Technology.Com

Juda

,---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
|---[From: Jack Klein <(E-Mail Removed)>:
|---[Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2003 00:42:29 GMT:
|---[news:comp.lang.c++:
|---[wrote:

|---On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 10:31:12 -0700, "-linux_lad" <john at linuxlad dot
|---org> wrote in comp.lang.c++:
|---
|---> -linux_lad wrote:
|---> > Jack Klein wrote:
|--->
|---> > This argument started in another newsgroup. I'm the person who
|---> > asserts that there is such thing as C++ for the web". I presume that
|---> > you weren't suggesting that I'm a pompous windbag and that you're
|---> > referring to the person who's making this silly claim about "C++ for
|---> > the web". What I mean is that there is no formal distinction or
|---> > definition of C++ specifically for the "web", and there is no
|---> > discipline called "C++ for the web". This person indicated that he
|---> > had mastered "C++ for the web", but provided no other details. He
|---> > used this term to describe his level of competance in C++. I've not
|---> > encoutered this term yet. If I'm incorrect, can someone post a link
|---> > that describes the difference between "C++ for the web" and C++?
|---> >
|--->
|---> FYI, this should read "asserts that there is no such thing as C++ for the web". I
|---> left the "no" out.
|---
|---Given your definition of the phrase, as corrected in this post, I
|---completely agree with you. My argument with the OP was that he asked
|---for agreement or disagreement with a statement using a undefined term.
|---
|---BTW, I would phrase this:
|---
|---"There is no such thing as C++ SPECIFICALLY for the web."

I should make a correction in his post. I stated a person I knew, learned C++
(for the web). He claimed, that there was no C++ for the web. I wanted to
verify if there is C++ for the web, or not. Not C++ specifically for theweb,
as he claims he has stated. The pompus windbag is the person you are
correcting.

Now I know you don't want to get involved in a foodfight, but I wanted toask
the experts in this group and not some self-proclaimed expert that linuxlad
presents himself as, whether or not my assertion was correct. It is my
assertion that a person learned C++ for the web. His assertion was
there is no C++ for the web.

I defined his knowledge of programming with web development as (for the web)
in reference to his C++ experience. The expert linuxlad, declared there was no
such thing.

--
The truth depends on, or is only arrived at by, a legitimate
deduction from all the facts which are truly material.
Whispering tongues can poison truth. --Coleridge

Reality is a figment of the imagination for a k00k.
- Juda