Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > Interfacing with, and getting return values from, a webpage

Interfacing with, and getting return values from, a webpage

Phlip

Malcolm wrote:

> "Morris Dovey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >
> > Thanks for straightening me out. Come to think of it, I /have/
> > heard of Microsoft Foundation Classes (but have never studied or
> > used 'em in anything I've written.)
> >

> MFC is formally a C++ library for writing Windows GUIs, but in fact it is

> point-and-click method of automatically generating code. It is quite
> effective in getting complex interfaces up on screen in a short time, but

an
> MFC program is no longer a human-readable C++ program, and it is part of
> Microsoft's wicked plot to destroy C++ and prevent any programs being

ported
> from Windows to other systems.

Call that "vendor lockin". It's why MS won't support WTL, an ultra-light MFC
replacement written in some MS engineer's spare time. WTL provides the same
core features as MFC, but without coupling everything together. You can
refactor a WTL program. Hence, MS won't make it an official part of their
VC++ suite.

--
Phlip
http://www.c2.com/cgi/wiki?TestFirstUserInterfaces

dg

"Phlip" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bdno1e$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Malcolm wrote:
> >
> > "Morris Dovey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > >
> > > Thanks for straightening me out. Come to think of it, I /have/
> > > heard of Microsoft Foundation Classes (but have never studied or
> > > used 'em in anything I've written.)
> > >

> > MFC is formally a C++ library for writing Windows GUIs, but in fact it

is
> > point-and-click method of automatically generating code. It is quite
> > effective in getting complex interfaces up on screen in a short time,

but
> an
> > MFC program is no longer a human-readable C++ program, and it is part of
> > Microsoft's wicked plot to destroy C++ and prevent any programs being

> ported
> > from Windows to other systems.

ya forget mfc if you woant to write a win 32 app learn tha api (strangley
enuff its simplaer then mfc to me cores im writeing asm as well and you just
haf to)

Mark McIntyre

On 29 Jun 2003 17:10:20 GMT, in comp.lang.c , Joona I Palaste
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>He said "preferably not using MFC". MFC stands for Microsoft Foundation
>Classes.

No it doesn't - MFC is a class A psychedelic.

>Now, you'll have to agree that *not* using MFC is pretty easy

ha, you can say that, then obviously you've never had MFC cold
turkey...

(my point being, MFC is well enough known to windows programmers, but
those of us from other backgrounds might not have a clue waht it is,
adn thus not be able to infer some implementation from it)

--
Mark McIntyre