Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > Re: Computing's Lost Allure

Re: Computing's Lost Allure

Bill Sloman

Roger Johansson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
> "Howard Chu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >I've also
> >had to work with people who are faced with an issue and say "I don't know
> >enough to decide either way." I then tell them "I *know* this is how we
> >should do it" and they repeat "I don't feel strongly either way." What they
> >*should* do at that point is just say "OK" and shut up, we've already
> >established that they are unqualified to make any kind of assertion. But
> >these people are too clueless to even understand how clueless they are, and
> >too ignorant to recognize real knowledge and facts when they're confronted
> >with them.

> The problem is in our culture. People are trained to never let anybody
> influence their minds, they will fight to the death for their own
> opinion, even if they don't have any.
> They are taught by the social environment as teenagers to never listen
> to advice or accept anybodies arguments, they see other people as
> enemies of their state of mind.
>
> The only thing they have respect for is violence.

Don't be silly. Any place I've worked, trying to influence anybody's
opinion by violence would get you instantly fired. I've never seen it
happen, but I have heard a few stories.

What does get their attention, after the disaster, is comments of the
form "This was predicted some time ago, on this basis. Now that we
have verified the negative half of the prediction, can we get on and
try and verify the positive half?"

-------
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Spehro Pefhany

On 29 Jun 2003 10:07:41 -0700, the renowned http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Bill
Sloman) wrote:

>Don't be silly. Any place I've worked, trying to influence anybody's
>opinion by violence would get you instantly fired. I've never seen it
>happen, but I have heard a few stories.

One of my classmates in Uni worked in a brick factory one summer. He
did something on machine A, while other old unionized workers did
other stuff downline. If he worked too fast, resulting in too much
work for the downline workers, they would lob bricks at his head. He
soon got the message to slow down and take it easy.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
(E-Mail Removed) Info for manufacturers: http://www.trexon.com