Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Browse access point AND internet/local network

Browse access point AND internet/local network

Daryl

Hi,

I've just added a Netgear Wireless Access Point to my Speedtouch Router.

Everything works fine but I have to keep manually adjusting my IP settings
to be able to make changes in the menus of the access point.

Is there a way I can access both the access point and the internet (via the
router) using a global setting?

Cheers,

Daz

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
You need to change the IP of the Access Point to be on the same subnet as
the Router, and make sure that only one DHCP is On.
This page was written for a Wireless Router but you can extrapolate the
principle for your specific need.
http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Daryl" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I've just added a Netgear Wireless Access Point to my Speedtouch Router.
>
> Everything works fine but I have to keep manually adjusting my IP settings
> to be able to make changes in the menus of the access point.
>
> Is there a way I can access both the access point and the internet (via
> the
> router) using a global setting?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Daz

Daryl

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
> You need to change the IP of the Access Point to be on the same subnet as
> the Router, and make sure that only one DHCP is On.
> This page was written for a Wireless Router but you can extrapolate the
> principle for your specific need.
> http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html
> Jack (MVP-Networking).

I couldn't get it to work.

My access point has an ip of 192.168.0.227 and the instructions tell me to
set the ip of a connected pc to 192.168.0.210 to be able to connect.

The ip of the router is 10.0.0.138 and I the pc automatically asigns itself
10.0.0.1 to connect.

I tried changing the ip of the access point to 10.0.0.151 with a subnet mask
to match the router (255.0.0.0 instead of the default 255.255.255.0) but
when I tried to access the access point I got a message along the lines of
'sorry this is managed by 192.168.0.210).

I reverted the settings of everything back to normal (including a hard reset
of the access point as I could no longer access the 'settings') but I
couldn't access the access point at all.

In the end I had to switch everything off and connect a single ethernet
cable from pc to access point to be able to gain control. When I connected
up correctly again all was working (maybe the reboot was all that was needed
to regain control of the access point).

Anyway, have you any suggestions as to what I could do to allow the access
point's settings page to seamlessly appear without swapping IPs (and without
losing control altogether).

Thanks for your help,

Daz