Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Tour of Duty Season One: Missing Music?

Tour of Duty Season One: Missing Music?

fredman

This was a surprise release for me as it was only announced a month or
so ago, but can any other fans of this (if there are any) tell me
whether or not the Stone's "Paint it Black" was the main theme for
this series beginning with season one, or later? Of course it's not
on the disc, but that shouldn't be surprising; I am sure the rights
for the song would have prohibited production of the disc due to the
cost. Thanks.
regards,

=======
fredman
=======

Joshua Zyber

"fredman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> This was a surprise release for me as it was only announced a month or
> so ago, but can any other fans of this (if there are any) tell me
> whether or not the Stone's "Paint it Black" was the main theme for
> this series beginning with season one, or later? Of course it's not
> on the disc, but that shouldn't be surprising; I am sure the rights
> for the song would have prohibited production of the disc due to the
> cost.

The song was removed from the opening credits during the show's
syndication run due to licensing costs. The DVD is mastered from that
version.

Invid Fan

In article <gHPxc.19873$(E-Mail Removed) .net>,
Joshua Zyber <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "fredman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > This was a surprise release for me as it was only announced a month or
> > so ago, but can any other fans of this (if there are any) tell me
> > whether or not the Stone's "Paint it Black" was the main theme for
> > this series beginning with season one, or later? Of course it's not
> > on the disc, but that shouldn't be surprising; I am sure the rights
> > for the song would have prohibited production of the disc due to the
> > cost.

> The song was removed from the opening credits during the show's
> syndication run due to licensing costs. The DVD is mastered from that
> version.

Weren't they using a cover of the song anyways? I seem to remember the
local tv critic saying the theme music didn't have the same edge as the
Stone's original.

-'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

Dale Hicks

In article <090620042259374912%(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
says...
> In article <gHPxc.19873$(E-Mail Removed) .net>,
> Joshua Zyber <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > "fredman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > This was a surprise release for me as it was only announced a month or
> > > so ago, but can any other fans of this (if there are any) tell me
> > > whether or not the Stone's "Paint it Black" was the main theme for
> > > this series beginning with season one, or later? Of course it's not
> > > on the disc, but that shouldn't be surprising; I am sure the rights
> > > for the song would have prohibited production of the disc due to the
> > > cost.

> > The song was removed from the opening credits during the show's
> > syndication run due to licensing costs. The DVD is mastered from that
> > version.
> >

> Weren't they using a cover of the song anyways? I seem to remember the
> local tv critic saying the theme music didn't have the same edge as the
> Stone's original.

I don't think so. If so, it was the Stones themselves covering it.

This confirms my memory:
http://tourofduty.de/backinfo.php

Maybe the reviewer was talking about the later theme.

--
Cranial Crusader dgh 1138 at bell south point net

Joshua Zyber

"Invid Fan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:090620042259374912%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Weren't they using a cover of the song anyways? I seem to remember the
> local tv critic saying the theme music didn't have the same edge as

the
> Stone's original.

It's been so long that my memory of it surely cannot be trusted, but I
remember it as being the original Stones version.

jayembee

fredman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> This was a surprise release for me as it was only announced
> a month or so ago, but can any other fans of this (if there
> are any) tell me whether or not the Stone's "Paint it Black"
> was the main theme for this series beginning with season one,
> or later?

It was definitely the main theme right from the git-go.

-- jayembee

G. Bates

"Joshua Zyber" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<gHPxc.19873$(E-Mail Removed) hlink.net>...
> "fredman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > This was a surprise release for me as it was only announced a month or
> > so ago, but can any other fans of this (if there are any) tell me
> > whether or not the Stone's "Paint it Black" was the main theme for
> > this series beginning with season one, or later? Of course it's not
> > on the disc, but that shouldn't be surprising; I am sure the rights
> > for the song would have prohibited production of the disc due to the
> > cost.

> The song was removed from the opening credits during the show's
> syndication run due to licensing costs. The DVD is mastered from that
> version.

There is also music missing from the episodes. I rented a disk that
had a few episodes that I already had along with the 2 I didn't have
from season 1 and during the episode USO Down, when one of the
characters thinks he is imagining seeing one of the girls from the USO
show, it plays "Just My Imagination" during the original broadcast.

GB

fredman

On 10 Jun 2004 16:58:12 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) (G. Bates) wrote:

>"Joshua Zyber" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<gHPxc.19873$(E-Mail Removed) hlink.net>...
>> "fredman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > This was a surprise release for me as it was only announced a month or
>> > so ago, but can any other fans of this (if there are any) tell me
>> > whether or not the Stone's "Paint it Black" was the main theme for
>> > this series beginning with season one, or later? Of course it's not
>> > on the disc, but that shouldn't be surprising; I am sure the rights
>> > for the song would have prohibited production of the disc due to the
>> > cost.

>> The song was removed from the opening credits during the show's
>> syndication run due to licensing costs. The DVD is mastered from that
>> version.

>There is also music missing from the episodes. I rented a disk that
>had a few episodes that I already had along with the 2 I didn't have
>from season 1 and during the episode USO Down, when one of the
>characters thinks he is imagining seeing one of the girls from the USO
>show, it plays "Just My Imagination" during the original broadcast.
>
>GB

Yeah, I seem to remember authentic sound bytes of '60s and '70s stuff
featured in a few episodes, but I'm not expecting to hear any of it.
I don't know which is worse, replacing it with the series soundtrack
music, or having the songs redone by 'the replacements' - those cheap
sound-alikes that sound anything but... but I'm still surprised that
this was released at all. Thanks to all who replied.
regards,

=======
fredman
=======