Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > RWin Settings for multiple connection types

RWin Settings for multiple connection types

nntp.post@gmail.com

Hi all-

Using a win xp pro laptop. I use it to connect to serveral different
networks:
·1.5mbs T1 at work via wifi and wired
·8.0/768 cable modem connection at home via wifi and wired
·Verizon EVDO 1xRTT on the road
·WiFi at places like Starbucks and Airports (guessing about a T1
connection to Internet)
·Dialup on the road sometimes

Ultimately, I'd love a tool that lets me save different profiles and
switch RWIN depending on the connection type.

I've done tests on DSLReports (www.dslreports.com/tweaks) and see that
depending on location and connection type I should use different rwin
settings for best performance. I can set these using drtcp, but does
anyone know of a better tool that doesn't require a reboot and will
allow for profile switching depending on where and how I am connected?

Thanks,
ken

Thomas Wendell

NetSwitch?
http://www.adtec.it/nwdownload-en.htm

--
Tumppi
=================================

<(E-Mail Removed)> kirjoitti
viestissä:(E-Mail Removed) glegroups.com...
[...]

Jeff Liebermann

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) hath wroth:

>Hi all-

8 different newsgroups is not quite "all" but you're getting there.
Please make an effort to be more selective.

>Using a win xp pro laptop. I use it to connect to serveral different
>networks:
> ·1.5mbs T1 at work via wifi and wired
> ·8.0/768 cable modem connection at home via wifi and wired
> ·Verizon EVDO 1xRTT on the road
> ·WiFi at places like Starbucks and Airports (guessing about a T1
>connection to Internet)
> ·Dialup on the road sometimes
>
>Ultimately, I'd love a tool that lets me save different profiles and
>switch RWIN depending on the connection type.

http://www.globesoft.com
http://www.netswitcher.com

I use Netswitcher for reconfiguring my laptop for the two dozen
assorted networks I service. The trick is to remember to save
configuration changes before I leave the site.

However, if all you want to change is RWIN, you can find the registry
key that controls RWIN, and build a simple reg file such as EVDO.REG
and run it as needed. That's much easier than a complex tool that
saves and changes literally everything involved in networking. The
various prefab sizes in the *.REG files supplied by DSLReports is more
than adquate:
http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks/RWIN
(See 60 second solution section)

>I've done tests on DSLReports (www.dslreports.com/tweaks) and see that
>depending on location and connection type I should use different rwin
>settings for best performance. I can set these using drtcp, but does
>anyone know of a better tool that doesn't require a reboot and will
>allow for profile switching depending on where and how I am connected?

Some changes will require a reboot. Not much that any tool can do
about that.

--
Jeff Liebermann http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)-cruz.ca.us
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

nntp.post@gmail.com

Thank you Thomas & Jeff for your prompt replies.

I've emailed the author of NetSwitch to see if that does RWIN / MTU /
etc.

I've read through the help on NetSwitcher and MultiNetwork Manager, but
don't see anything there about tcp/ip stack settings. Hope to be able
to test them out later.

Jeff - GREAT idea about the simple reg files. That should do the trick,
easy, quick, and effective.

I cross-posted thread to 5 (not groups, because I was unsure which
group was most appropriate. Searches returned the most results for
RWIN in the 5 I selected. For future reference, which single group
would you suggest posting questions like this to? I didn't think that
cross-posting would cause any problems, and am frankly still unaware of
what the problem with cross-posting is. Isn't most newsgroup software
smart enough to mark messages read in multiple threads?

Thanks again!
Ken

Jeff Liebermann

(E-Mail Removed) hath wroth:

>I've emailed the author of NetSwitch to see if that does RWIN / MTU /
>etc.

I'm not sure that it does. My laptop is sitting in my palatial
office. I'll check later this afternoon.

>Jeff - GREAT idea about the simple reg files. That should do the trick,
>easy, quick, and effective.

Yep. That's what I did before I bought Netswitcher. The problem with
that method is that some changes really do require a reboot. Changing
the numbers can cause "unexpected results" such as locking up the
entire IP stack after a few connects and disconnects. That was not
very common but intollerable for what I was doing (firmware updates
and router configs). There were also many more changes that I wanted
to make when switching locations. The one that drove me nuts was that
I had to use fixed IP addresses at some sites (for security reasons)
and dynamic (DHCP) addresses at others. Windoze has no native way to
switch between these without reconfiguring the interface IP settings.
Another was the SMTP server so I could send outgoing email from
inside. That would change with each location (this was before POP3
before SMTP and authenticated SMTP became popular). The REG files
will work fine for simple RWIN changes, but other stuff requires an
application.

>I cross-posted thread to 5 (not groups, because I was unsure which
>group was most appropriate. Searches returned the most results for
>RWIN in the 5 I selected. For future reference, which single group
>would you suggest posting questions like this to?

The problem is that your question is Windoze specific and has very
little to do with wireless. The RWIN problem appears more in wired
connections than wireless. It's often difficult to determine the
areas covered by each newsgroup by name. It's also not a major
disaster if you elect to crosspost. I just think it's better if you
limit yourself to one or perhaps 2 newsgroups. When I formerly run a
news server (never again!), I would automatically drop locally
originated crosspostings with more than 3 groups.

People often trim headers in their replys. If we did that, would you
check all 5 newsgroups to see if there were any newsgroup specific
replies?

Some discussion on the topic:

In order:

comp.protocols.tcp-ip This is specific to the protocol itself and
not really involved with the Microsoft implimentation of TCP/IP.

alt.internet.wireless This is primarly for home wireless networking
and not really involved in anything MS specific.

microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support This looks like a
beginners group for MS users and covers a huge range of topics.

microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless This might be a good
choice as it involves both TCP/IP and wireless from MS.

microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain This seems to have
little on wireless performance but seems to emphasize server and
client performance.

My guess is that the lesser evil would be:
microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless

>I didn't think that
>cross-posting would cause any problems, and am frankly still unaware of
>what the problem with cross-posting is. Isn't most newsgroup software
>smart enough to mark messages read in multiple threads?

The problem with massive crossposting is that it generates huge
threads as readers from each newgroup add their opinions to the
discussion. Most often, the thread moves off topic and degenerates
into multiple non-relevent discussions. I predict that this one will
diverge into a discussion on proper usenet etiquette. If you're
looking for quantity rather than quality, massive cross posting is the
way to do that. However, that's not the "real" problem (from my
warped perspective). I don't like the idea of people posting in
newsgroups that they don't read. Read first, search with Google
Groups, and then if you don't find anything, post.

--
Jeff Liebermann (E-Mail Removed)-cruz.ca.us
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
There are two set of parameters involved in the changing of the Internet
source.

Network parameters, which can easily maintained by a program like
NetSwitcher, and TCP/IP stack parameters, which is a little hard to maintain
flexibly.

If you use large RWIN (like 256960) it is not so critical to change it
between connections.

MTU is.

You can use the following to change easily the Parameters. You would need to
Reboot each time, http://www.ezlan.net/Internet_Speed.html

Jack (MVP-Networking).

news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

dold@XReXXRWinX.usenet.us.com

In alt.internet.wireless Jeff Liebermann <(E-Mail Removed)-cruz.ca.us> wrote:
> Yep. That's what I did before I bought Netswitcher. The problem with
> that method is that some changes really do require a reboot. Changing

Disable and enable on the interface should cure most of the "needs reboot"
changes.

I think the dslreports tweaks faq is behind the times for RWIN. WinXP Pro
will auto-tune it, and with rfc1323 and SACK, there isn't much point in
playing with it on a per connection basis. I would set it to 64k, maybe
256k for high speed, and forget about it.

Most of the comments on the tweaks page are about much lower values being
too low.

--
---

In alt.internet.wireless "Jack \(MVP-Networking\)." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> If you use large RWIN (like 256960) it is not so critical to change it
> between connections.

> You can use the following to change easily the Parameters. You would need to
> Reboot each time, http://www.ezlan.net/Internet_Speed.html

Why would you favor "Time Stamping - No"?

The grammatical errors on that site are distracting.

--
---

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dpk2jm$m61$(E-Mail Removed)...

Quote: Why would you favor "Time Stamping - No"?
See here: http://www.securiteam.com/securitynews/5NP0C153PI.html
Quote: The grammatical errors on that site are distracting.
Yap, the author have a mild form of Agraphia. Correct the page and email it
to the email on site, and I will take care of it.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

Hoppy

Dr. TCP will do exactly what you want:
http://www.dslreports.com/tools
There are also articles on calculating your RWIN value.

You might also want to consider TCP Optimizer:
http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php

You might also be interested in a patch to TCPIP.SYS to unlimit your
concurrent TCP connections to more than 10:
http://www.lvllord.de/?lang=en&url=4...c8d16f7e4c9511

Enjoy.

BTW, your cross-posting is generally pretty much frowned upon.
--
Hoppy
(E-Mail Removed)

(E-Mail Removed) wrote on 5 Jan 2006 08:58:22 -0800:

np> Using a win xp pro laptop. I use it to connect to serveral different
np> networks:
np> ·1.5mbs T1 at work via wifi and wired
np> ·8.0/768 cable modem connection at home via wifi and wired
np> ·Verizon EVDO 1xRTT on the road
np> ·WiFi at places like Starbucks and Airports (guessing about a T1
np> connection to Internet)
np> ·Dialup on the road sometimes

np> Ultimately, I'd love a tool that lets me save different profiles and
np> switch RWIN depending on the connection type.

np> I've done tests on DSLReports (www.dslreports.com/tweaks) and see that
np> depending on location and connection type I should use different rwin
np> settings for best performance. I can set these using drtcp, but does
np> anyone know of a better tool that doesn't require a reboot and will
np> allow for profile switching depending on where and how I am connected?

RWIN size tomm Computer Support 2 08-09-2007 06:44 PM
Looking for help with MTU/RWIN settings to optimize EVDO Matt Wireless Networking 0 06-29-2007 02:26 AM
RWIN Nowhere Computer Support 2 03-17-2005 02:07 PM
RWIN Nowhere Computer Support 0 03-17-2005 12:06 PM

Advertisments