Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Dawn of the Dead(2004) Release date?????

Dawn of the Dead(2004) Release date?????

Andreas Dehmel

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 09:12:54 -0400, Mirror Spock wrote:

> On 10 Jun 2004 16:25:38 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Wade365) went upon the
> mount and spoke thus:
>
> [Snippage]
>
> >Just my opinion... if you hated the movie you hated it... but what exactly
> >didn't you like? You call it a waste but you don't substantiate your
> >position... that, I think, would help.

> There are three things I didn't like about the remake:
>
> - Zombies shouldn't run. I think 28 Days Later influenced that aspect
> of it. Every zombie movie up to this point (not including 28 Days as
> I think those folks weren't zombies) depict zombies as mindless,
> shambling hordes who nail you on sheer numbers alone.

A frequent misconception. The first zombie movie I'm aware of where
the undead ran was ``Return of the Living Dead'' back in 1985 (!).
Apparently people who attribute this to ``28 Days Later'' know far
less about zombie flicks than they think they do.

> - The zombie baby b-plot. What was the point of all that? It was
> stupid.

Maybe, but people do stupid things in horror movies all the time.
The original Dawn was no exception (``we're just gonna check out whether
there are any zombies in this mall and leave the woman behind, alone and
without a weapon'' -- and many more where that came from). I thought the
baby bit was quite effective and didn't overstay its welcome. And
although the baby as such was hardly a threat, you couldn't be sure the
mother wouldn't be released somehow.

> - I know several folks liked the epilog clips at the end of the movie,
> but I didn't. If I had walked out before the credits rolled, I
> probably would have been happier. I guess having all the folks go
> through hell and high water only to buy it just when they thought they
> were safe annoyed me.

I like movies which have the balls _not_ to have a happy ending, so
I was quite pleased with this ending. It added nicely to the apocalyptic
aspect.

All in all I agree with the previous poster: I thought it was going to
suck _bad_ when I first heard about it, but was _very_ pleasantly
surprised when I saw it. People should give it a chance and not
condemn it just because it wasn't done by Romero or because the zombies
run -- or because it isn't really a remake but an entirely new movie
which just shares the mall element with Romero's Dawn. I'd actually
go so far as to call it one of the finest horror movies in the past 20
years, how shocking is that?

Andreas
--
Dr. Andreas Dehmel Ceterum censeo
FLIPME(ed.enilno-t@nouqraz) Microsoft esse delendam

Wade365

<< People should give it a chance and not
condemn it just because it wasn't done by Romero or because the zombies
run -- or because it isn't really a remake but an entirely new movie
which just shares the mall element with Romero's Dawn. I'd actually
go so far as to call it one of the finest horror movies in the past 20
years, how shocking is that?

Andreas >><BR><BR>

I would definitely agree that they got a ton of it right, as far as setting an
atmosphere and running with the possibilities to nice effect on the viewer. I
was actually tensed up through scenes and I found myself wanting to turn away
at times (not that I would, but you know that special feeling and boy is it
rare at the cinema these days)... this is a sign of an effective film, IMHO.
That's what happened to me in 1979 when I saw the original "Dawn" in the
theater, it happened during "Alien" (the only movie to make me wanna put my
feet up on the seat), I got that cringing feeling.

I would say that "House of 1000 Corpses" was another film that I wasn't
expecting bo-diddley out of and was suprised at the effect it had on me by the
end of viewing... I blew it off as crap from the buttock of Rob Zombie and now
I'm sorry that I didn't make the effort to hunt it down in the theater. I'm
really lookin' forward to that sequel and I won't miss it's theatrical run this
time, for sure.

I will agree 100% with the points made by the guy who hated the movie because
he at least explained it past calling the film a waste of celuloid. If you
didn't like it there's probably very little I can say to change that fact, but
in my opinion, it was a gutsy gamble by people who obviously have some vision
as to how to set tension and then tune it like a guitar string until it
sings... it could have been "House of the Dead", after all.

When you have crap like that coming out, most anything looks good 'n' scary,
right? Or even though I personally like the film, it could have been more like
"Resident Evil" with the neo-Corman flavoring that Anderson adds as a director.

But this is not incompetence, this film... it's a strong try both as a
re-imagining of the concept and as a horror film on it's own. It certainly has
more going for it than most of the mainstream horror that's being produced, and
like I posted before, it's increasing the interest and possibilities of our
beloved King George R. on the part of the studios again.

We _will_ see "Dusk of the Dead"... or whatever he's going to call it!

: )

PS - To the poster who said "whoever said zombies don't run is showing their
ignorance of the genre", that kind of know-it-all commentary only makes you
look bad and it cheapens your postion. You'd have done much better to just try
and educate as apposed to belittling the person. The Internet doesn't always
have to be about tearing each other down, but unfortunately that's where it has
ended up a lot of the time.

Sorry, I'm off the soap box now.

Peas.

Robert Kaiser

Ok, forget about when zombies first began to run. Here's another question:
Were there any really good zombie movies before George Romero's "Night of
the Living Dead"?

Robert

Invid Fan

In article <Gz7zc.12735$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Robert Kaiser <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Ok, forget about when zombies first began to run. Here's another question:
> Were there any really good zombie movies before George Romero's "Night of
> the Living Dead"?

Depends on your defintion of 'zombie', probably. The 1930's movie
"White Zombie" is fun, and may be the first movie to use them. Staring
Bela Lugosi, it's about a white couple (hence the title) who visit Hati
to get married, and a Voodoo priest played by Lugosi falls for the girl
and turns her into a zombie. They're not dead who come back to life,
but people who've been given a drug, buried alive, then dug up to
become the priest's slaves.

-'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

Derek Janssen

Invid Fan wrote:

>>Ok, forget about when zombies first began to run. Here's another question:
>>Were there any really good zombie movies before George Romero's "Night of
>>the Living Dead"?

> Depends on your defintion of 'zombie', probably. The 1930's movie
> "White Zombie" is fun, and may be the first movie to use them.

"I Walked With a Zombie" (1943):
Never seen it, but Val Lewton & Jacques Tourneur...End of discussion.

Derek Janssen (and Val should be getting the Warner/RKO treatment
sometime by the end of the year)
(E-Mail Removed)

Wade365

<< Were there any really good zombie movies before George Romero's "Night of
>>the Living Dead"? >><BR><BR>

You're talking about the films which changed the genre and subsequently a lot
of horror fans' taste, so "really good" is going to be completely subjective.

Murder

Derek Janssen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:40cd34a6$0$3027$(E-Mail Removed):

> Invid Fan wrote:
>
>>>Ok, forget about when zombies first began to run. Here's another
>>>question: Were there any really good zombie movies before George
>>>Romero's "Night of the Living Dead"?

>> Depends on your defintion of 'zombie', probably. The 1930's movie
>> "White Zombie" is fun, and may be the first movie to use them.

> "I Walked With a Zombie" (1943):
> Never seen it, but Val Lewton & Jacques Tourneur...End of discussion.

It may have been eerie and sublime when it came out, but now it's just
achingly dull, like The Seventh Victim. I love Cat people, but a little
of the Lewton/Tourneur style goes a long way. Every so often, you have
to actually SHOW SOMETHING SCARY.

--
"There is no more foul or relentless enemy of man in the occult world
than this dead-alive creature spewed up from the grave..."

Eric

(Crow*T*Robot) wrote:
> Any word on the release date for Dawn of the
> Dead(2004) on DVD?

Sometime in early to mid October. It's coming out in four versions:
widescreen and full-screen R-rated cuts and widescreen and full-screen
unrated cut (with 9 minutes of additional footage).

The R-rated versions will have the unrated scenes as a supplement, while
the unrated versions will have exclusive featurettes. All versions will
contain commentary and some other extras.

Eric

Murder

Derek Janssen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:40cf49b3$0$3005$(E-Mail Removed):

> Murder wrote:
>>
>>>"I Walked With a Zombie" (1943):
>>>Never seen it, but Val Lewton & Jacques Tourneur...End of discussion.

>> It may have been eerie and sublime when it came out, but now it's
>> just achingly dull, like The Seventh Victim. I love Cat people, but
>> a little of the Lewton/Tourneur style goes a long way. Every so
>> often, you have to actually SHOW SOMETHING SCARY.

> Well, not with "Curse of the Cat People"...
>
> Derek Janssen (it's heartwarming *and* creepy!)
> (E-Mail Removed)

It sounds interesting, but I haven't seen it. To be fair, it's been some
time since I saw Walked, and I'd probably receive it differently today.
It seems some people think it's Tourneur's masterpiece. I'll take Comedy
Of Terrors over Walked for sure, though.

--

Murder wrote:

>>"I Walked With a Zombie" (1943):
>>Never seen it, but Val Lewton & Jacques Tourneur...End of discussion.

> It may have been eerie and sublime when it came out, but now it's just
> achingly dull, like The Seventh Victim. I love Cat people, but a little
> of the Lewton/Tourneur style goes a long way. Every so often, you have
> to actually SHOW SOMETHING SCARY.

Well, not with "Curse of the Cat People"...

Derek Janssen (it's heartwarming *and* creepy!)
(E-Mail Removed)

Dawn of the Dead release? Crow T Robot DVD Video 1 05-09-2004 09:21 AM
Dawn Harrison Computer Support 4 02-07-2004 09:54 PM
need dawn soap jay Computer Support 18 01-18-2004 05:29 PM
looking for old dawn dish wash soap jay Computer Support 29 01-14-2004 12:20 AM
The Age of the Mass Market DSLR is about to Dawn deryck lant Digital Photography 2 08-19-2003 10:46 AM

Advertisments