Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Dawn of the Dead(2004) Release date?????

Dawn of the Dead(2004) Release date?????

Crow T Robot

Any word on the release date for Dawn of the Dead(2004) on DVD?

Otter

On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 03:41:48 GMT, "Crow T Robot"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Any word on the release date for Dawn of the Dead(2004) on DVD?

I understand it's been pushed to October. Originally was a late July
date.

GMAN

In article <0Gvxc.6832$(E-Mail Removed)>, "Crow T Robot" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Any word on the release date for Dawn of the Dead(2004) on DVD?

What a terrible waste of celluloid.

M.B.

GMAN wrote:

> In article <0Gvxc.6832$(E-Mail Removed)>, "Crow T Robot" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Any word on the release date for Dawn of the Dead(2004) on DVD?
>>

> What a terrible waste of celluloid.

So says you...I saw it and I've seen the original. Both stand on their
own just fine. Would it have made you puritans happier if they had
called the movie something else???

GMAN

In article <XrQxc.21936$(E-Mail Removed) m>, "M.B." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>GMAN wrote:
>
>> In article <0Gvxc.6832$(E-Mail Removed)>, "Crow T Robot"

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>Any word on the release date for Dawn of the Dead(2004) on DVD?
>>>

>> What a terrible waste of celluloid.

>So says you...I saw it and I've seen the original. Both stand on their
>own just fine. Would it have made you puritans happier if they had
>called the movie something else???

Why cant Romero decide on a damn plot or course for the franchise and let it
be.

Mike Kohary

GMAN wrote:
> In article <0Gvxc.6832$(E-Mail Removed)>, "Crow T Robot"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Any word on the release date for Dawn of the Dead(2004) on DVD?
>>

> What a terrible waste of celluloid.

What kind of a release date is that?

Mike

Wade365

<< What a terrible waste of celluloid. >><BR><BR>
<< So says you...I saw it and I've seen the original. Both stand on their
>own just fine. >><BR><BR>

<< Why cant Romero decide on a damn plot or course for the franchise and let it

be. >><BR><BR>

Because no one will give him a budget for it (which may change in light of the
popularity in his genre again), that's why he's doing this movie about the
undead rock band in the meantime...

And as for the new film being a waste of celuloid, I disagree. At one time
(before I actually saw the film of course) I was as outraged as any of the rest
of you that someone had the gaul to want to step into Romero's shoes. I thought
the "Return" films were funny but a total waste of time, and those movies
actually had minor ties to the original creators of the 'Dead' thing... How the
Hell can a bunch of hacks pretend they could make a 'Dead' film? Why does this
need to be done? Didn't anyone learn a lesson from letting Savini do "NotLD"?
IF even an insider like Tom Savini could (arguably) mess it up, what were a
bunch of Hollywood types going to do to it? Was Romero finally so crazy that
he'd let this kind of thing happen? Was his mind finally as hazey as Pittsburgh
in the 70s?

I read the interviews with the guys who did the film, I watched from the 'Net
sidelines as it got made, all-the-while hoping and praying that the production
would get hit like Terry Gilliam's "LaMancha", washing the entire aberation
away in one fell swoop.

Then I sat through it.

From the Johnny Cash-backed montage in the beginning to the epilogue shots
during the credits, I was pleased with just about every aspect of the new film.
It opened with a bang and it just kept the hits coming after that... I think
the only thing I truly didn't like was the pregnant girl story arch which I
think was just put in for cringe-ability factor... that and the whole "Love Of
Dog" bit, but I digress. On the positive side, there are a lot of great homages
to the original without going over the top to try and tip the hat and there are
some nice plot inovations to bring the story forward almost twenty-five years
(I don't believe in spoilers, so I'll leave it without detail).

The dialogue was good with a solid base in real people's reactions given the
same circumstances (no one's exactly what you'd call "Stand-Up"), the make-up
effects were excellent, and the action was right-on... what more do you want
from a horror picture, besides pure originality, which we all pray for, of
course? It was certainly better than most of the horror films I've seen
lately... really, not since "1000 Corpses" have I enjoyed a horror film more.
"Texas Chainsaw", now THAT was a waste of celuloid. Yes it was dark and gritty
and certainly violent, but in the end it wasn't... and I say this with a but of
sarcasm... It wasn't "fun". The remake of 'Dawn', however, had a lot of motion,
humor, it was FUN. I wanted to believe that the makers of "TCM" had the
concept... Hell, back in '98 I wanted to believe Emmerich & Devlin before they
messed with my hero Godzilla to shameful extent... but they didn't.

I don't believe that to be true with "Dawn of the Dead". I think that James
Gunn did a fine job with he screenplay and I think Romero is probably alright
with what has been done with his brainchild, if only to rekindle the studio
interest so that he CAN finally get that fourth film made!

This kind of thing (rehash) is going to happen and has been happening, so get
used to it - at least grow a thick carapice to protect yourself. As you get
older they'll rape all that has become sacred to you. The key is to TRY and
keep an open mind and not allow yourself to fall into knee-jerk reactions, so
that when something that's not a complete pile of pony-loaf comes along you can
still see it.

Just my opinion... if you hated the movie you hated it... but what exactly
didn't you like? You call it a waste but you don't substantiate your
position... that, I think, would help.

Mirror Spock

On 10 Jun 2004 16:25:38 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Wade365) went upon the
mount and spoke thus:

[Snippage]

>Just my opinion... if you hated the movie you hated it... but what exactly
>didn't you like? You call it a waste but you don't substantiate your
>position... that, I think, would help.

There are three things I didn't like about the remake:

- Zombies shouldn't run. I think 28 Days Later influenced that aspect
of it. Every zombie movie up to this point (not including 28 Days as
I think those folks weren't zombies) depict zombies as mindless,
shambling hordes who nail you on sheer numbers alone. To me, that's a
tad more scary.

- The zombie baby b-plot. What was the point of all that? It was
stupid. I mean, what's menacing about a zombie baby? What's it gonna
do, gum you to death? The guy knew his wife was a goner, he had to
have heard about what happened to Max Headroom, so why didn't he kill
her when she turned? Did he really expect his baby to be unscathed by
this?

- I know several folks liked the epilog clips at the end of the movie,
but I didn't. If I had walked out before the credits rolled, I
probably would have been happier. I guess having all the folks go
through hell and high water only to buy it just when they thought they
were safe annoyed me.

My humble opinion,
* Robinson

Tarkus

On 6/11/2004 6:12:54 AM, Mirror Spock wrote:

> - Zombies shouldn't run. I think 28 Days Later influenced that aspect
> of it. Every zombie movie up to this point (not including 28 Days as
> I think those folks weren't zombies) depict zombies as mindless,
> shambling hordes who nail you on sheer numbers alone. To me, that's a
> tad more scary.

I doubt if the remake was conceived after 28DL, so it's doubtful that
played an influence. More likely, they were just trying to modernize the
zombies.

> - The zombie baby b-plot. What was the point of all that? It was
> stupid. I mean, what's menacing about a zombie baby? What's it gonna
> do, gum you to death? The guy knew his wife was a goner, he had to
> have heard about what happened to Max Headroom, so why didn't he kill
> her when she turned? Did he really expect his baby to be unscathed by
> this?

The woman and the baby were his entire life, so I think it was perfectly
understandable that he would react the way he did.

> - I know several folks liked the epilog clips at the end of the movie,
> but I didn't. If I had walked out before the credits rolled, I
> probably would have been happier. I guess having all the folks go
> through hell and high water only to buy it just when they thought they
> were safe annoyed me.

I thought the ending was awesome, personally.
--
"Good...bad...I'm the guy with the gun."

Now playing: the radio

Wade365

<< There are three things I didn't like about the remake:

- Zombies shouldn't run. >><BR><BR>

I didn't mind it all that much, but I can see your pure standpoint.

<< - The zombie baby b-plot. >><BR><BR>

As I said, I didn't really appreciate that part of it either... but it was
really about his trip-out, not about what the baby might do as a destructive
force to be reckoned with. It was about the father's desperation and resulting
freak-out (presaged by the conversation he has with Ving Raimes' character
earlier in the film).

But I see your point.

<< - I know several folks liked the epilog clips at the end of the movie,
but I didn't. If I had walked out before the credits rolled, I
probably would have been happier. >><BR><BR>

Now see... I thought it was nice that everyone dies. I was similarly paid off
by "League/Gentleman" and "Van Helsing" in the downer ending department, and
I'm glad. Not every character has to wind up with the girl at the end of the
film, all ready to live off the fat of the land and grunt out babies. Much as I
love her, I'm glad Kate Beckinsale's character buys the farm instead of winding
up in Jackman's arms all happy-dappy.

Well, thanks for going a bit more indepth at my request. You have several good
points for not liking the movie... I just get a bit flustered by "It Sucks" as
a reason, y'know?

Peas.

Dawn of the Dead release? Crow T Robot DVD Video 1 05-09-2004 09:21 AM
Dawn Harrison Computer Support 4 02-07-2004 09:54 PM
need dawn soap jay Computer Support 18 01-18-2004 05:29 PM
looking for old dawn dish wash soap jay Computer Support 29 01-14-2004 12:20 AM
The Age of the Mass Market DSLR is about to Dawn deryck lant Digital Photography 2 08-19-2003 10:46 AM

Advertisments