Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Release Schrader's The Exorcist: The Beginning

Release Schrader's The Exorcist: The Beginning

Simon Howson

Hi,

I have created a petition here:
http://www.petitiononline.com/exorcist/petition.html

The petition is to get Time-Warner to release Paul Schrader's version of The
Exorcist: The Beginning.

The text of the petition is as follows:

To: Time-Warner
In August 2003, film director Mr Paul Schrader delivered a "Directors' Cut"
of the film "The Exorcist: The Beginning" to film production company Morgan
Creek. However, due to substantial creative differences, Mr Schrader's cut
was summarily rejected, and a few months later led to his departure from the
film.

We the under signed call upon Time Warner, when releasing this film on DVD,
to issue a two disc special edition, featuring both the theatrical release
of the film, but also a second disc featuring Mr Schrader's original and
unedited "Director's Cut".

It would seem that the major disagreement between Mr Schrader, and Morgan
Creek was that effectively two very different films were in mind during the
production phase. Perhaps best defined as a horror film, compared to a
psychological thriller. However thanks to DVD there is an opportunity to
satisfy a broad range of fans of the original films, as well as admirers of
Mr Schrader's work. For those persons interested in Mr Schrader's career,
the opportunity to purchase his "Directors' Cut" would be a valuable
compliment to the theatrical release of the film.

Sincerely,

The Undersigned

http://www.petitiononline.com/exorcist/petition.html

If you agree with the petition please sign it.

Simon Howson

Andrew Staker

It's being released in November!

"Simon Howson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:jLixc.345$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I have created a petition here:
> http://www.petitiononline.com/exorcist/petition.html
>
> The petition is to get Time-Warner to release Paul Schrader's version of

The
> Exorcist: The Beginning.
>
> The text of the petition is as follows:
>
> To: Time-Warner
> In August 2003, film director Mr Paul Schrader delivered a "Directors'

Cut"
> of the film "The Exorcist: The Beginning" to film production company

Morgan
> Creek. However, due to substantial creative differences, Mr Schrader's cut
> was summarily rejected, and a few months later led to his departure from

the
> film.
>
> We the under signed call upon Time Warner, when releasing this film on

DVD,
> to issue a two disc special edition, featuring both the theatrical release
> of the film, but also a second disc featuring Mr Schrader's original and
> unedited "Director's Cut".
>
> It would seem that the major disagreement between Mr Schrader, and Morgan
> Creek was that effectively two very different films were in mind during

the
> production phase. Perhaps best defined as a horror film, compared to a
> psychological thriller. However thanks to DVD there is an opportunity to
> satisfy a broad range of fans of the original films, as well as admirers

of
> Mr Schrader's work. For those persons interested in Mr Schrader's career,
> the opportunity to purchase his "Directors' Cut" would be a valuable
> compliment to the theatrical release of the film.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> The Undersigned
>
> http://www.petitiononline.com/exorcist/petition.html
>
> If you agree with the petition please sign it.
>
> Simon Howson

---

John R Rybock

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 13:12:36 +0930, "Andrew Staker"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>It's being released in November!

The Schrader version? Because it was pretty much completely shelved,
and Ranny Harlin brought in and most of the film reshot - THAT version
is certainly getting a release.

Jer

Andrew Staker wrote:
> It's being released in November!

Holy cow that petition worked real quick!!

> "Simon Howson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:jLixc.345$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I have created a petition here:
>>http://www.petitiononline.com/exorcist/petition.html
>>
>>The petition is to get Time-Warner to release Paul Schrader's version of

[....]

--
jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'
"All that we do is touched with ocean, yet we remain on the shore of

Derek Janssen

Jer wrote:

> Andrew Staker wrote:
>
>> It's being released in November!

> Holy cow that petition worked real quick!!

Yeah--Worked so fast, the rumor that both versions would be on a 2-disk
SE was announced...about a month or two before the petition.

Derek Janssen

Dead Zed

Any rumor of a DVD release is just that, a rumor. It's unlikely a major
studio would make this kind of announcement until after the Harlin
version gets it's theatrical release.

Unless, of course, the Harlin version is going direct-to-dvd.

jay

On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 09:59:10 -0400, Dead Zed <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> Any rumor of a DVD release is just that, a rumor. It's
> unlikely a major studio would make this kind of
> announcement until after the Harlin version gets it's
> theatrical release.
>
> Unless, of course, the Harlin version is going
> direct-to-dvd.

Certainly the fate all of Renny Harlin's movies earn.

Vlvetmorning98

>Certainly the fate all of Renny Harlin's movies earn.

I don't think ANY of his films have gone directly-to-video

Wolf

> Unless, of course, the Harlin version is going direct-to-dvd.

Anything by Harlin is direct-to-trashcan, actually. Good thing Schrader
still intends to release the real Exorcist IV (0? on DVD...