Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Notorius...Disney

Notorius...Disney

Tad Bitt§ļ£

Well, guess which major studio will be next to distribute much of Alfred
Hitchcocks early American release? Disney, yeah, ****in' Disney. Nortorius,
Spellbound and Rebecca, once part of Criterion collection set are now out or
print. Disney owned the rights to these films all along and "let" Criterion
release them for a limited time. This allows a major studio to test market
the films and learn what audience exists for them and so on. Once they see
the titles selling well enough for the Criterion's of the world, the studio
then re-issues those titles themselves in order to really cash in. The sad
fact is that Disney will probably release either a bare bones low price
version or an expanded version of those Hitch films. Disney should stick to
cartoons.

Tad Bitt§ļ£

"Tad Bitt§ļ£" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:2XFwc.69383$(E-Mail Removed) able.rogers.com...
> Well, guess which major studio will be next to distribute much of Alfred
> Hitchcocks early American release? Disney, yeah, ****in' Disney.

Nortorius,
> Spellbound and Rebecca, once part of Criterion collection set are now out

or
> print. Disney owned the rights to these films all along and "let"

Criterion
> release them for a limited time. This allows a major studio to test market
> the films and learn what audience exists for them and so on. Once they see
> the titles selling well enough for the Criterion's of the world, the

studio
> then re-issues those titles themselves in order to really cash in. The

sad
> fact is that Disney will probably release either a bare bones low price
> version or an expanded version of those Hitch films. Disney should stick

> cartoons.

oops, forgot The 39 Steps is also one of the Criterion Hitch releases. This
one is still in print

Invid Fan

In article
<2XFwc.69383$(E-Mail Removed) .rogers.com>, Tad
Bitt§ļ£ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Well, guess which major studio will be next to distribute much of Alfred
> Hitchcocks early American release? Disney, yeah, ****in' Disney. Nortorius,
> Spellbound and Rebecca, once part of Criterion collection set are now out or
> print. Disney owned the rights to these films all along and "let" Criterion
> release them for a limited time. This allows a major studio to test market
> the films and learn what audience exists for them and so on. Once they see
> the titles selling well enough for the Criterion's of the world, the studio
> then re-issues those titles themselves in order to really cash in. The sad
> fact is that Disney will probably release either a bare bones low price
> version or an expanded version of those Hitch films. Disney should stick to
> cartoons.

What's wrong with a cheap version for those who don't want to pay
Criterion prices?

-'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

Biz

"Tad Bitt§ļ£" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:2XFwc.69383$(E-Mail Removed) able.rogers.com...
> Well, guess which major studio will be next to distribute much of Alfred
> Hitchcocks early American release? Disney, yeah, ****in' Disney.

Nortorius,
> Spellbound and Rebecca, once part of Criterion collection set are now out

or
> print. Disney owned the rights to these films all along and "let"

Criterion
> release them for a limited time. This allows a major studio to test market
> the films and learn what audience exists for them and so on. Once they see
> the titles selling well enough for the Criterion's of the world, the

studio
> then re-issues those titles themselves in order to really cash in. The

sad
> fact is that Disney will probably release either a bare bones low price
> version or an expanded version of those Hitch films. Disney should stick

> cartoons.

I'll agree that Disney has kinda messed up on quite a few movies in the
past, but look at the fantastic job they did with Pirates of the
Carribean...so we can hope they might get their issues worked out.

Grand Inquisitor

Invid Fan wrote:

> In article
> <2XFwc.69383$(E-Mail Removed) .rogers.com>, Tad
> Bitt§ļ£ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>Well, guess which major studio will be next to distribute much of Alfred
>>Hitchcocks early American release? Disney, yeah, ****in' Disney. Nortorius,
>>Spellbound and Rebecca, once part of Criterion collection set are now out or
>>print. Disney owned the rights to these films all along and "let" Criterion
>>release them for a limited time. This allows a major studio to test market
>>the films and learn what audience exists for them and so on. Once they see
>>the titles selling well enough for the Criterion's of the world, the studio
>>then re-issues those titles themselves in order to really cash in. The sad
>>fact is that Disney will probably release either a bare bones low price
>>version or an expanded version of those Hitch films. Disney should stick to
>>cartoons.
>>

> What's wrong with a cheap version for those who don't want to pay
> Criterion prices?

My thoughts when I bought the Anchor Bay version of Notorious. Now I
have the Criterion version and I am all the better for it.

--
"I like the cover: 'DON'T PANIC.' It's the first sensible thing I've
heard all day."

Grand Inquisitor

Grand Inquisitor

Tad Bitt§ļ£ wrote:

> Well, guess which major studio will be next to distribute much of Alfred
> Hitchcocks early American release? Disney, yeah, ****in' Disney. Nortorius,
> Spellbound and Rebecca, once part of Criterion collection set are now out or
> print. Disney owned the rights to these films all along and "let" Criterion
> release them for a limited time. This allows a major studio to test market
> the films and learn what audience exists for them and so on. Once they see
> the titles selling well enough for the Criterion's of the world, the studio
> then re-issues those titles themselves in order to really cash in. The sad
> fact is that Disney will probably release either a bare bones low price
> version or an expanded version of those Hitch films. Disney should stick to
> cartoons.

Wow, unless Disney releases the same transfer and extras as the
Criterion versions expect those versions to fetch some high prices on
E-Bay. But I ain't partin' with my copies, not for any price.

--
"I like the cover: 'DON'T PANIC.' It's the first sensible thing I've
heard all day."
--Arthur Dent

Grand Inquisitor

jayembee

@twister01.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com>, (E-Mail Removed) says...

> Well, guess which major studio will be next to distribute much of Alfred
> Hitchcocks early American release? Disney, yeah, ****in' Disney. Nortorius,
> Spellbound and Rebecca, once part of Criterion collection set are now out or
> print. Disney owned the rights to these films all along and "let" Criterion
> release them for a limited time. This allows a major studio to test market
> the films and learn what audience exists for them and so on. Once they see
> the titles selling well enough for the Criterion's of the world, the studio
> then re-issues those titles themselves in order to really cash in. The sad
> fact is that Disney will probably release either a bare bones low price
> version or an expanded version of those Hitch films. Disney should stick to
> cartoons.

The only correct statement in the above is that the Criterion editions
of those three titles are OOP.

(1) Disney does not own the films at all, let alone own them "all
along".

(2) Since they didn't own them, they didn't "let" Criterion release
them.

(3) They are not going to be releasing them in the future.

(4) It's not "much of Alfred Hitchcock's early American releases".

MGM -- not Disney -- has acquired -- recently, not "all along" -- the
rights to the four -- not "much of" -- Hitch films that were made by
David O. Selznick's independent production company. The four titles in
question are REBECCA, SPELLBOUND, NOTORIOUS, and THE PARADINE CASE.

MGM plans to release them around the end of the year, along with
editions of four of Hitch's British films that are in the Public Domain
here in the US: THE LADY VANISHES, THE 39 STEPS (both of which are still
in print from Criterion), SABOTAGE, and YOUNG AND INNOCENT.

-- jayembee

JimReid56

>MGM -- not Disney -- has acquired -- recently, not "all along" -- the
>rights to the four -- not "much of" -- Hitch films that were made by
>David O. Selznick's independent production company. The four titles in
>question are REBECCA, SPELLBOUND, NOTORIOUS, and THE PARADINE CASE.

MGM may have aquired these for release, but when the Selznick Studio dissolved,
the rights to the films were divided between Selznick and his partner, Jock
Whitney. The films that Whitney got, have all gone PD. (Star is Born, Nothing
Sacred, etc.) The Selznick films, including the four Hitchcocks were sold to
ABC Films after Seznick's death. When DIsney bought ABC, they got those films.
So the original poster was correct about the ownership, no matter who releases
them.

Stephen Cooke

On 6 Jun 2004, JimReid56 wrote:

> MGM may have aquired these for release, but when the Selznick Studio dissolved,
> the rights to the films were divided between Selznick and his partner, Jock
> Whitney. The films that Whitney got, have all gone PD. (Star is Born, Nothing
> Sacred, etc.) The Selznick films, including the four Hitchcocks were sold to
> ABC Films after Seznick's death. When DIsney bought ABC, they got those films.
> So the original poster was correct about the ownership, no matter who releases
> them.

Including the new MGM releases of JUNIOR BONNER and TOO LATE THE HERO.

swac

drsd2kill

Actually, ABC acquired the Hitchcock films from the Selznick Estate, so Disney
acquired them when they bought ABC. They leased them to Criterion, and now they
have leased them to MGM.