Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Pinnacle Studio 9 with MovieBoxDV

Reply
Thread Tools

Pinnacle Studio 9 with MovieBoxDV

 
 
Orak Listalavostok
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-03-2004
I want to burn my VHS home movies to DVD.

As a first step, yesterday, I purchased, from Fryes, a reconditioned:
Pinnacle Studio MovieBox DV (Movie Box DV hardware & Studio 9 software
for $245 US dollars + California sales tax of 8.25%.

a) I correctly wired the 3 VHS VCR RCA outputs to the Pinnacle MovieBoxDV
white-red-yellow composite analog video input port; and I correctly
wired the Pinnacle MovieBox DV output 6-pin-to-4-pin firewire to the
WinXP laptop's firewire input port.
b) I inserted a VHS home video tape & pressed the PLAY button on the VCR
(having tested with a TV that the VCR was outputting the desired movie).
c) Windowx XP automatically started Pinnacle Studio version 9 on my
IBM A31p laptop when I plugged in the 4-pin firewire connection.

Yet, after three hours of testing & reading the manual, absolutely
nothing shows in the Pinnacle Studio version 9 preview pane!

Despite the frustrating error message (see below):
- "Setup->Capture Source" is set to "Capture devices":
Video = MovieBox DV Analog
Audio = MovieBox DV Analog
TV Standard = NTSC
Aspect Ratio = 4.3
Drive C Read Data Rate = 13049 Kbyte/sec
Drive C Write Data Rate = 10935 Kbyte/sec
Capture Format = MPEG preset @ High quality (DVD)

Still I get the (contrarian) frustratingly insipid error message below,
despite the fact I've repeatedly checked all connections, set the
"Diskometer" to "Composite" and "S-Video" back & forth numerous times
(leaving it on "Composite" where it belongs for copying VHS tape to disk).

Still, I get the production stopping Pinnacle Studio version 9 error:

Capture Device Initialization Error:
Pinnacle Studio is trying to initialuze a DV or Digital 8 Camcorder
via a 1394 port.

If you are trying to capture analog video:
1. Click on Setup->Capture Source and select the correct video capture device.
2. Open the left hand panel on the Diskometer (capture controller.) and set
the correctd analog video input port (Composite or S-Video).

If you are trying to capture from a DV or Digital 8 Camcorder:
1. Make sure our camcorder is turned on, is in VTR/VCR/Play mode, and is
connected to the 1394 port on the computer.

Any ideas why Pinnacle Studio 9 insists on seeing a digital device on the
firewire instead of its own MovieBoxDV hardware (supplied with the software)?

Yes, I registered the product & activated the MPEG-2 codec unlock by
obtaining an activation key from the Pinnacle Studios site & entering
it into the form Help->Enter Activation Key.

Since the unit was reconditioned by Fryes, do you think it's busted (I have
only 15 days plus this has software so I don't know if there's a restocking
fee). I'd rather the darn thing just work.

Is anyone successful on an IBM A31p laptop with recording from VHS to the
laptop using Pinnacle Studio version 9 & the Pinnacle MovieBox DV unit?
Have you seen this annoyingly frustrating problem before?

Orak Listalavostok
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Gene E. Bloch
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-03-2004
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Orak Listalavostok) wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) m:

> I want to burn my VHS home movies to DVD.
>
> As a first step, yesterday, I purchased, from Fryes, a
> reconditioned:
> Pinnacle Studio MovieBox DV (Movie Box DV hardware & Studio 9
> software
> for $245 US dollars + California sales tax of 8.25%.
>
> a) I correctly wired the 3 VHS VCR RCA outputs to the Pinnacle
> MovieBoxDV
> white-red-yellow composite analog video input port; and I
> correctly wired the Pinnacle MovieBox DV output 6-pin-to-4-pin
> firewire to the WinXP laptop's firewire input port.
> b) I inserted a VHS home video tape & pressed the PLAY button on
> the VCR
> (having tested with a TV that the VCR was outputting the
> desired movie).
> c) Windowx XP automatically started Pinnacle Studio version 9 on
> my
> IBM A31p laptop when I plugged in the 4-pin firewire
> connection.
>
> Yet, after three hours of testing & reading the manual, absolutely
> nothing shows in the Pinnacle Studio version 9 preview pane!
>
> Despite the frustrating error message (see below):
> - "Setup->Capture Source" is set to "Capture devices":
> Video = MovieBox DV Analog
> Audio = MovieBox DV Analog
> TV Standard = NTSC
> Aspect Ratio = 4.3
> Drive C Read Data Rate = 13049 Kbyte/sec
> Drive C Write Data Rate = 10935 Kbyte/sec
> Capture Format = MPEG preset @ High quality (DVD)
>
> Still I get the (contrarian) frustratingly insipid error message
> below, despite the fact I've repeatedly checked all connections,
> set the "Diskometer" to "Composite" and "S-Video" back & forth
> numerous times (leaving it on "Composite" where it belongs for
> copying VHS tape to disk).
>
> Still, I get the production stopping Pinnacle Studio version 9
> error:
>
> Capture Device Initialization Error:
> Pinnacle Studio is trying to initialuze a DV or Digital 8
> Camcorder via a 1394 port.
>
> If you are trying to capture analog video:
> 1. Click on Setup->Capture Source and select the correct video
> capture device. 2. Open the left hand panel on the Diskometer
> (capture controller.) and set
> the correctd analog video input port (Composite or S-Video).
>
> If you are trying to capture from a DV or Digital 8 Camcorder:
> 1. Make sure our camcorder is turned on, is in VTR/VCR/Play mode,
> and is
> connected to the 1394 port on the computer.
>
> Any ideas why Pinnacle Studio 9 insists on seeing a digital device
> on the firewire instead of its own MovieBoxDV hardware (supplied
> with the software)?
>
> Yes, I registered the product & activated the MPEG-2 codec unlock
> by obtaining an activation key from the Pinnacle Studios site &
> entering it into the form Help->Enter Activation Key.
>
> Since the unit was reconditioned by Fryes, do you think it's
> busted (I have only 15 days plus this has software so I don't know
> if there's a restocking fee). I'd rather the darn thing just work.
>
> Is anyone successful on an IBM A31p laptop with recording from VHS
> to the laptop using Pinnacle Studio version 9 & the Pinnacle
> MovieBox DV unit? Have you seen this annoyingly frustrating
> problem before?
>
> Orak Listalavostok
>


Are you sure Fry's reconditioned it, or did they just stick the
little label onto the box?

I'm also guessing here that there may still be a setting well-hidden
somewhere in the Pinnacle software about controlling/not controlling
the camcorder. Since you're not using a camcorder, you would want
that off.

You could also try downloading the demo version of Scenalyzer Live,
to see if the problem is in the Pinnacle capture S/W. ScLive is
robust, turning off camcorder control is really easy in it, and it's
fairly cheap if you decide to get it (like around $35). There are
also other capture programs, even some free ones, I think.

Good luck,
Gino

--
Gene E. Bloch (Gino) phone 650.966.8481
Call me letters find me at domain blochg whose dot is com

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Susan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-03-2004
Orak,

I assume the Movie Box DV is designed to take your VHS signal, convert
it to DV and send it to your computer via your Firewire connector.

If this is the case, you have almost everything set up wrong.

First, read the manual and follow the diagrams on how to set up your
hardware and then Studio 9. You have the proper cables going from
your VCR to the Movie box, then the DV signal going to your computer.
If the Movie box is converting the VHS composite and audio signals to
DV, then your computer will see a DV "camcorder" attached to the
Firewire input. HOWEVER, it will be the equivalent of a
non-controllable DV device, such as a Digital 8 Camcorder, or any
other analog to DV converter.

THEREFORE, you must set Studio 9 to capture DV without device control.
Again, read the manual and it will tell you how to use the SETUP menus
and then switch to the Capture window. Since you will not have device
control, you will have to start and stop your VCR by hand. Cue your
tape to a few seconds BEFORE where you want to capture, so that you
have a signal coming into your computer/Studio, then click Start
Capture in Studio (You'll have to give your capture a name unless you
want it named Video 1, or whatever is the default in Studio 9, then
click OK and start capturing.

BUT AGAIN, it the Movie box is actually converting your signal to DV,
you will need to capture to DV and convert to MPG (if that is what
you want) unless you want to try and convert to MPG on the fly, which
is not recommended.

If you really want to capture in MPG, you should take the Movie box DV
back and get a hardware VHS to MPG converter, which will probably
connect to your computer through a USB1 (bad) or 2 (better) connector.

Finally, go to the Pinnacle Studio 9 webboard and seek additional
help, after you've read the manual.

Hope this helps,

Susan

PS, the "recommendation" from Fry's was that you give them money, not
that the Pinnacle was recommended.

(E-Mail Removed) (Orak Listalavostok) wrote:

>I want to burn my VHS home movies to DVD.
>
>As a first step, yesterday, I purchased, from Fryes, a reconditioned:
> Pinnacle Studio MovieBox DV (Movie Box DV hardware & Studio 9 software
>for $245 US dollars + California sales tax of 8.25%.
>
>a) I correctly wired the 3 VHS VCR RCA outputs to the Pinnacle MovieBoxDV
> white-red-yellow composite analog video input port; and I correctly
> wired the Pinnacle MovieBox DV output 6-pin-to-4-pin firewire to the
> WinXP laptop's firewire input port.
>b) I inserted a VHS home video tape & pressed the PLAY button on the VCR
> (having tested with a TV that the VCR was outputting the desired movie).
>c) Windowx XP automatically started Pinnacle Studio version 9 on my
> IBM A31p laptop when I plugged in the 4-pin firewire connection.
>
>Yet, after three hours of testing & reading the manual, absolutely
>nothing shows in the Pinnacle Studio version 9 preview pane!
>
>Despite the frustrating error message (see below):
> - "Setup->Capture Source" is set to "Capture devices":
> Video = MovieBox DV Analog
> Audio = MovieBox DV Analog
> TV Standard = NTSC
> Aspect Ratio = 4.3
> Drive C Read Data Rate = 13049 Kbyte/sec
> Drive C Write Data Rate = 10935 Kbyte/sec
> Capture Format = MPEG preset @ High quality (DVD)


If the Movie box DV is a DV conversion device, your computer will see
it as a DV camcorder, and that is what Studio will have to see also.

>
>Still I get the (contrarian) frustratingly insipid error message below,
>despite the fact I've repeatedly checked all connections, set the
>"Diskometer" to "Composite" and "S-Video" back & forth numerous times
>(leaving it on "Composite" where it belongs for copying VHS tape to disk).


Again, you are NOT trying to capture analog VHS, you are trying to
capture a DV signal from the Movie box.
>
>Still, I get the production stopping Pinnacle Studio version 9 error:
>
> Capture Device Initialization Error:
> Pinnacle Studio is trying to initialuze a DV or Digital 8 Camcorder
> via a 1394 port.
>
> If you are trying to capture analog video:
> 1. Click on Setup->Capture Source and select the correct video capture device.
> 2. Open the left hand panel on the Diskometer (capture controller.) and set
> the correctd analog video input port (Composite or S-Video).
>
>If you are trying to capture from a DV or Digital 8 Camcorder:
> 1. Make sure our camcorder is turned on, is in VTR/VCR/Play mode, and is
> connected to the 1394 port on the computer.


Again, THIS is what you are trying to do.
>
>Any ideas why Pinnacle Studio 9 insists on seeing a digital device on the
>firewire instead of its own MovieBoxDV hardware (supplied with the software)?
>
>Yes, I registered the product & activated the MPEG-2 codec unlock by
>obtaining an activation key from the Pinnacle Studios site & entering
>it into the form Help->Enter Activation Key.
>
>Since the unit was reconditioned by Fryes, do you think it's busted (I have
>only 15 days plus this has software so I don't know if there's a restocking
>fee). I'd rather the darn thing just work.
>
>Is anyone successful on an IBM A31p laptop with recording from VHS to the
>laptop using Pinnacle Studio version 9 & the Pinnacle MovieBox DV unit?
>Have you seen this annoyingly frustrating problem before?
>
>Orak Listalavostok


 
Reply With Quote
 
Adrian S. Kuiper
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-03-2004

"Susan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Orak,
>
> I assume the Movie Box DV is designed to take your VHS signal, convert
> it to DV and send it to your computer via your Firewire connector.
>
> If this is the case, you have almost everything set up wrong.
>
> First, read the manual and follow the diagrams on how to set up your
> hardware and then Studio 9. You have the proper cables going from
> your VCR to the Movie box, then the DV signal going to your computer.
> If the Movie box is converting the VHS composite and audio signals to
> DV, then your computer will see a DV "camcorder" attached to the
> Firewire input. HOWEVER, it will be the equivalent of a
> non-controllable DV device, such as a Digital 8 Camcorder, or any
> other analog to DV converter.
>
> THEREFORE, you must set Studio 9 to capture DV without device control.
> Again, read the manual and it will tell you how to use the SETUP menus
> and then switch to the Capture window. Since you will not have device
> control, you will have to start and stop your VCR by hand. Cue your
> tape to a few seconds BEFORE where you want to capture, so that you
> have a signal coming into your computer/Studio, then click Start
> Capture in Studio (You'll have to give your capture a name unless you
> want it named Video 1, or whatever is the default in Studio 9, then
> click OK and start capturing.
>
> BUT AGAIN, it the Movie box is actually converting your signal to DV,
> you will need to capture to DV and convert to MPG (if that is what
> you want) unless you want to try and convert to MPG on the fly, which
> is not recommended.
>
> If you really want to capture in MPG, you should take the Movie box DV
> back and get a hardware VHS to MPG converter, which will probably
> connect to your computer through a USB1 (bad) or 2 (better) connector.
>
> Finally, go to the Pinnacle Studio 9 webboard and seek additional
> help, after you've read the manual.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Susan
>
> PS, the "recommendation" from Fry's was that you give them money, not
> that the Pinnacle was recommended.
>
> (E-Mail Removed) (Orak Listalavostok) wrote:
>
> >I want to burn my VHS home movies to DVD.
> >
> >As a first step, yesterday, I purchased, from Fryes, a reconditioned:
> > Pinnacle Studio MovieBox DV (Movie Box DV hardware & Studio 9 software
> >for $245 US dollars + California sales tax of 8.25%.
> >
> >a) I correctly wired the 3 VHS VCR RCA outputs to the Pinnacle MovieBoxDV
> > white-red-yellow composite analog video input port; and I correctly
> > wired the Pinnacle MovieBox DV output 6-pin-to-4-pin firewire to the
> > WinXP laptop's firewire input port.
> >b) I inserted a VHS home video tape & pressed the PLAY button on the VCR
> > (having tested with a TV that the VCR was outputting the desired

movie).
> >c) Windowx XP automatically started Pinnacle Studio version 9 on my
> > IBM A31p laptop when I plugged in the 4-pin firewire connection.
> >
> >Yet, after three hours of testing & reading the manual, absolutely
> >nothing shows in the Pinnacle Studio version 9 preview pane!
> >
> >Despite the frustrating error message (see below):
> > - "Setup->Capture Source" is set to "Capture devices":
> > Video = MovieBox DV Analog
> > Audio = MovieBox DV Analog
> > TV Standard = NTSC
> > Aspect Ratio = 4.3
> > Drive C Read Data Rate = 13049 Kbyte/sec
> > Drive C Write Data Rate = 10935 Kbyte/sec
> > Capture Format = MPEG preset @ High quality (DVD)

>
> If the Movie box DV is a DV conversion device, your computer will see
> it as a DV camcorder, and that is what Studio will have to see also.
>
> >
> >Still I get the (contrarian) frustratingly insipid error message below,
> >despite the fact I've repeatedly checked all connections, set the
> >"Diskometer" to "Composite" and "S-Video" back & forth numerous times
> >(leaving it on "Composite" where it belongs for copying VHS tape to

disk).
>
> Again, you are NOT trying to capture analog VHS, you are trying to
> capture a DV signal from the Movie box.
> >
> >Still, I get the production stopping Pinnacle Studio version 9 error:
> >
> > Capture Device Initialization Error:
> > Pinnacle Studio is trying to initialuze a DV or Digital 8 Camcorder
> > via a 1394 port.
> >
> > If you are trying to capture analog video:
> > 1. Click on Setup->Capture Source and select the correct video capture

device.
> > 2. Open the left hand panel on the Diskometer (capture controller.) and

set
> > the correctd analog video input port (Composite or S-Video).
> >
> >If you are trying to capture from a DV or Digital 8 Camcorder:
> > 1. Make sure our camcorder is turned on, is in VTR/VCR/Play mode, and is
> > connected to the 1394 port on the computer.

>
> Again, THIS is what you are trying to do.
> >
> >Any ideas why Pinnacle Studio 9 insists on seeing a digital device on the
> >firewire instead of its own MovieBoxDV hardware (supplied with the

software)?
> >
> >Yes, I registered the product & activated the MPEG-2 codec unlock by
> >obtaining an activation key from the Pinnacle Studios site & entering
> >it into the form Help->Enter Activation Key.
> >
> >Since the unit was reconditioned by Fryes, do you think it's busted (I

have
> >only 15 days plus this has software so I don't know if there's a

restocking
> >fee). I'd rather the darn thing just work.
> >
> >Is anyone successful on an IBM A31p laptop with recording from VHS to the
> >laptop using Pinnacle Studio version 9 & the Pinnacle MovieBox DV unit?
> >Have you seen this annoyingly frustrating problem before?
> >
> >Orak Listalavostok

>
>



I thought that the DV version of the MovieBox is for playing Digital
Video, through
a camcorder attached to the moviebox device.If you're running tapes through
a VCR, you
need the version of Moviebox labeled USB.

I use a VCR attached to the Moviebox USB and I have no problems at all.

Adrian



 
Reply With Quote
 
CBusch6651
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-06-2004
>If you are trying to capture analog video:
> 1. Click on Setup->Capture Source and select the correct video capture
>device.
> 2. Open the left hand panel on the Diskometer (capture controller.) and set
> the correctd analog video input port (Composite or S-Video).
>
>If you are trying to capture from a DV or Digital 8 Camcorder:
> 1. Make sure our camcorder is turned on, is in VTR/VCR/Play mode, and is
> connected to the 1394 port on the computer.
>
>Any ideas why Pinnacle Studio 9 insists on seeing a digital device on the
>firewire instead of its own MovieBoxDV hardware (supplied with the software)?
>
>Yes, I registered the product & activated the MPEG-2 codec unlock by
>obtaining an activation key from the Pinnacle Studios site & entering
>it into the form Help->Enter Activation Key.
>
>Since the unit was reconditioned by Fryes, do you think it's busted (I have
>only 15 days plus this has software so I don't know if there's a restocking
>fee). I'd rather the darn thing just work.
>
>Is anyone successful on an IBM A31p laptop with recording from VHS to the
>laptop using Pinnacle Studio version 9 & the Pinnacle MovieBox DV unit?
>Have you seen this annoyingly frustrating problem before?
>
>Orak Listalavostok
>


My daughter uses the Pinnacle Studio 8 box for analog transfers and we have had
a problem setting it up twice when first installing it. It refused to
recognize an analog source. The diskometer wouldn't even show the option to
switch over to analog. We finally had to download the latest driver for the
transfer box from Pinnacle's site and load the new driver. Then we had to make
sure that the computer was recognizing the new hardware device. It finally
worked, but it took contacting Pinnacle and trying several times. Although the
box is made for analog and digital, it seems to be much more geared to digital
sources.

Craig Busch
 
Reply With Quote
 
Orak Listalavostok
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-13-2004
> > I assume the Movie Box DV is designed to take your VHS signal, convert
> > it to DV and send it to your computer via your Firewire connector.


I finally called a series of Pinnacle Systems' support sites, starting
with the one in Mountain View CA at 650-526-1600 and ending with a
support technician telling me to "return the MovieBox DV to Fryes"
(who apparently does NOT recondition these things at all).

Pinnacle didn't even care about the error message because the hardware
test failed. That is, when I wired the VHS player (even with the VHS
deck turned off) red/white/yellow wires into the input RCA jacks of
the 'Pinnacle MovieBox DV' unit & set the 'Select' button correctly,
the appropriate LED input indicators did not light. This, Pinnacle
support said, was a clear indication of a bad MovieBox DV unit.

Since it was my dime, I also asked if my Pinnacle Systems hardware
MovieBox DV converted analog composite video to digital avi or to
digital MPEG-2; they said NONE of their consumer units performed
hardware conversion to MPEG-2 - that is, they convert to avi & let
the Pinnacle Studio 9 software do the conversion of avi to mpeg 2.

This struck me as wierd. Anybody (with a digital DV camcorder) could
simply play any VHS tape out the RCA jacks into that existing camcorder
with the firewire inputs set to straight-through output to perform the
same task as I just paid 250 bucks for. No additional hardware needed!

So, my new (untried, but hopefully sound) recommendation is for me to
dispense altogether with the MovieBox DV analog-to-AVI & then the
software studio-9-to-MPEG2 approach, in favor of the following:
- Play any VHS tape out normal RCA composite analog jacks
- Connect that composite analog to an RCA-to-mini-phono cable
- Into any digital camcorder (e.g., JVC GR-DVL820U) "AV" jack
- With the camcorder AV phono output set to INPUT
(PowerOn->Manual->Menu->DSC->REC SELECT->to TAPE to M)
- Which then outputs a digital AVI signal (just like the MovieBox did)
- Into the camcorder firewire output port into a firewire cable
- Plugged into the laptop PC firewire input port
- With Pinnacle Systems' $99 Studios 9 running
- Which converts the digital camcorder avi signal to MPEG-2
- Which is saved to the hard disk in real time
- And then later burned to DVD out that same firewire port

Does this (as yet untested) camcorder approach seem like it will work?

Orak Listalavostok
 
Reply With Quote
 
Jeffery S. Jones
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-13-2004
On 13 Jun 2004 00:32:51 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) (Orak
Listalavostok) wrote:

>> > I assume the Movie Box DV is designed to take your VHS signal, convert
>> > it to DV and send it to your computer via your Firewire connector.

>
>I finally called a series of Pinnacle Systems' support sites, starting
>with the one in Mountain View CA at 650-526-1600 and ending with a
>support technician telling me to "return the MovieBox DV to Fryes"
>(who apparently does NOT recondition these things at all).
>
>Pinnacle didn't even care about the error message because the hardware
>test failed. That is, when I wired the VHS player (even with the VHS
>deck turned off) red/white/yellow wires into the input RCA jacks of
>the 'Pinnacle MovieBox DV' unit & set the 'Select' button correctly,
>the appropriate LED input indicators did not light. This, Pinnacle
>support said, was a clear indication of a bad MovieBox DV unit.
>
>Since it was my dime, I also asked if my Pinnacle Systems hardware
>MovieBox DV converted analog composite video to digital avi or to
>digital MPEG-2; they said NONE of their consumer units performed
>hardware conversion to MPEG-2 - that is, they convert to avi & let
>the Pinnacle Studio 9 software do the conversion of avi to mpeg 2.


The same applies to other analog to DV capture devices using
firewire. By emulating a camcorder, they greatly simplify the
requirements to capture video -- and DV camcorders play DV, nothing
else (as far as what goes on tape and over firewire).

>This struck me as wierd. Anybody (with a digital DV camcorder) could
>simply play any VHS tape out the RCA jacks into that existing camcorder
>with the firewire inputs set to straight-through output to perform the
>same task as I just paid 250 bucks for. No additional hardware needed!


Not if they had a camcorder which didn't pass through analog video,
which is pretty common in EU and not uncommon on some models
elsewhere.

The other thing is to let you hoop up your analog VCR without
needing a digital camcorder, especially useful if you want to convert
a lot of VHS or other analog material without tying up the camcorder.

But such devices aren't necessary if you have a DV camcorder with
analog ins, and don't mind using it that way.


The only other thing is that some non-DV output devices *do* capture
directly to mpeg2 (using hardware capture chips), or can capture to
higher data rates/lower compression than DV. But to do that, the
device has to provide its own capture software, because while DV
devices are strongly standardized, and the OS supports capture from
them easily, the others are essentially proprietary to the maker,
using the maker's drivers and hardware to do the task. AFAIK, the
MovieBoxDV is DV only, same with the similar Canopus product.

>So, my new (untried, but hopefully sound) recommendation is for me to
>dispense altogether with the MovieBox DV analog-to-AVI & then the
>software studio-9-to-MPEG2 approach, in favor of the following:
> - Play any VHS tape out normal RCA composite analog jacks
> - Connect that composite analog to an RCA-to-mini-phono cable
> - Into any digital camcorder (e.g., JVC GR-DVL820U) "AV" jack
> - With the camcorder AV phono output set to INPUT
> (PowerOn->Manual->Menu->DSC->REC SELECT->to TAPE to M)
> - Which then outputs a digital AVI signal (just like the MovieBox did)
> - Into the camcorder firewire output port into a firewire cable
> - Plugged into the laptop PC firewire input port
> - With Pinnacle Systems' $99 Studios 9 running
> - Which converts the digital camcorder avi signal to MPEG-2
> - Which is saved to the hard disk in real time
> - And then later burned to DVD out that same firewire port
>
>Does this (as yet untested) camcorder approach seem like it will work?


That should all work just fine.
--
*-__Jeffery Jones__________| *Starfire* |____________________-*
** Muskego WI Access Channel 14/25 <http://www.execpc.com/~jeffsj/mach7/>
*Starfire Design Studio* <http://www.starfiredesign.com/>
 
Reply With Quote
 
Orak Listalavostok
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-27-2004
(E-Mail Removed) (CBusch6651) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> My daughter uses the Pinnacle Studio 8 box for analog transfers and we have had
> a problem setting it up twice when first installing it. It refused to
> recognize an analog source. The diskometer wouldn't even show the option to
> switch over to analog. We finally had to download the latest driver for the
> transfer box from Pinnacle's site and load the new driver. Then we had to make
> sure that the computer was recognizing the new hardware device. It finally
> worked, but it took contacting Pinnacle and trying several times. Although the
> box is made for analog and digital, it seems to be much more geared to digital
> sources.


What worked for me (and hopefully others) is that I returned the
first Pinnacle Systems' MovieBox DV (price $245). The replacement
MovieBox DV worked fine converting analog video (TV, VHS, Hi8, etc.)
to digital AVI (it would be better if it rendered to MPEG & compiled
to DVD format, but, most folks don't want that as they wish to edit
the uncompressed AVI before rendering to MPEG-2 & compiling to DVD).

I also experimented using the camcorder AV/S-Video input as an output,
which also worked fine, so, I'd say the MovieBox DV is merely a
luxury for those who don't want to tie up the camcorder all day.

The hard part wasn't converting analog sources to DVD; that was so
easy that it happened almost automatically. The hard part (for me)
was figuring out the precise settings that fit large files (over
2 and a half hours of video at up to 3.6 MB of disk per second)
onto a blank single-layer 4.7 GB recordable DVD+R discs without
losing too much quality & content in the process.

The settings I hit upon for that 'fitting' task were:
- Encode audio as MPEG audio (vs PCM audio)
- Remove all trailers and extraneous content
- Variable bit rate (vs constant), although I'm unsure the effect
- Lower from 8,000 Kbits/second to 3750 Kbits/second bit rate
- Filter video (to minimize effect of the lower bit rate)

Note: Since I've only done this a few times so far, I'm unsure the
effect of switching, for example, from CBR to VBR yet also
setting a fixed 3750 Kbits/second resolution.

These two settings seem at odds with one aother. Are they?

Orak Listalavostok
 
Reply With Quote
 
luminos
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-27-2004

"Orak Listalavostok" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> (E-Mail Removed) (CBusch6651) wrote in message

news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> > My daughter uses the Pinnacle Studio 8 box for analog transfers and we

have had
> > a problem setting it up twice when first installing it. It refused to
> > recognize an analog source. The diskometer wouldn't even show the

option to
> > switch over to analog. We finally had to download the latest driver for

the
> > transfer box from Pinnacle's site and load the new driver. Then we had

to make
> > sure that the computer was recognizing the new hardware device. It

finally
> > worked, but it took contacting Pinnacle and trying several times.

Although the
> > box is made for analog and digital, it seems to be much more geared to

digital
> > sources.


If you read the opinions on Amazon.com and elsewhere, it is easy to conclude
that everything....EVERYTHING...Pinnacle does is horribly flawed.



 
Reply With Quote
 
Sheppy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-29-2004
> > > My daughter uses the Pinnacle Studio 8 box for analog transfers and we
> have had
> > > a problem setting it up twice when first installing it. It refused to
> > > recognize an analog source. The diskometer wouldn't even show the

> option to
> > > switch over to analog. We finally had to download the latest driver

for
> the
> > > transfer box from Pinnacle's site and load the new driver. Then we

had
> to make
> > > sure that the computer was recognizing the new hardware device. It

> finally
> > > worked, but it took contacting Pinnacle and trying several times.

> Although the
> > > box is made for analog and digital, it seems to be much more geared to

> digital
> > > sources.

>
> If you read the opinions on Amazon.com and elsewhere, it is easy to

conclude
> that everything....EVERYTHING...Pinnacle does is horribly flawed.


Not true - I have the MovieBoxDV & Pinnacle 9, the DV Capture bridge works
perfectly, capture with WinDV, maybe edit in VirtualDub, TmpGenc Plus & DVD
Author and I'm laughing, now what do I do with the disc containing Pinnacle
9.....? Driver problems, what driver problems????


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pinnacle Studio Deluxe Att:B0B Mother's Little Helper Computer Support 0 02-07-2005 03:05 AM
Pinnacle Studio Deluxe Mother's Little Helper Computer Support 16 01-29-2005 01:43 AM
Pinnacle Media Studio 300i John M Computer Support 5 01-11-2005 11:36 PM
Pinnacle Studio 9 Editing RAM Computer Support 0 05-22-2004 06:29 PM
Pinnacle Studio PCTV Rave problem Bryan Henderson Computer Support 1 12-22-2003 01:38 AM



Advertisments