Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > OT - plasma/LCD what's the diff?

OT - plasma/LCD what's the diff?

Paul Lefebvre

Can someone please tell me what the difference is between a plasma and
an LCD tv? (in just a few words please) and which one is better?
thanks

PL

Paul Lefebvre
plefebvre@*removethis*wwdc.com
Visit my website!
http://www.geocities.com/joeyp99

TCS

On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 11:11:45 -0400, Paul Lefebvre <plefebvre@*removethis*wwdc.com> wrote:
>Can someone please tell me what the difference is between a plasma and
>an LCD tv? (in just a few words please) and which one is better?
>thanks

plasma displays use a electrified gas (plasma) to generate light and image

LCD's use some other light source such as an electroluminescent panel or
incadescent projector bulb and use a liquid crystal display to generate the
image. When an electric field is applied to a liquid crystal, it "straightens
out", changing the polarization of light through it. When combined w/
polarized filters, the upshot is that the electric signal makes the
LCD element either transparent or opaque.

Plasma displays generally have a brighter image and a greater axis of
vueability. Downside w/ plasma is that they are rather expensive and rather
fragile. Give them another 3-5 years and that might get worked out.

Ollie T

Plasmas are the most prone to burn-in. LCD's are not. You can read some
FAQ's at http://www.hdtvarcade.com

"Paul Lefebvre" <plefebvre@*removethis*wwdc.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can someone please tell me what the difference is between a plasma and
> an LCD tv? (in just a few words please) and which one is better?
> thanks
>
> PL
>
> Paul Lefebvre
> plefebvre@*removethis*wwdc.com
> Visit my website!
> http://www.geocities.com/joeyp99

Grand Inquisitor

Somebody else will explain the differences, I'm here to tell you not to
waste your money on either. CRT still provides the best picture for the
lowest price, no two ways about it.

--
"I like the cover: 'DON'T PANIC.' It's the first sensible thing I've
heard all day."

Grand Inquisitor

Justin

Paul Lefebvre wrote on [Thu, 03 Jun 2004 11:11:45 -0400]:
> Can someone please tell me what the difference is between a plasma and
> an LCD tv? (in just a few words please) and which one is better?
> thanks

In other words, "I'm too lazy to look this info up myself, so can you do
it for me? Oh, and can you make it a nice and concise answer, as I'm too
lazy to read more than a couple of sentences".

Alan Figgatt

Grand Inquisitor wrote:
> Somebody else will explain the differences, I'm here to tell you not to
> waste your money on either. CRT still provides the best picture for the
> lowest price, no two ways about it.

By and large I agree, but if you want a bigger screen, then you are
looking at a 200 or more lb TV which may be more than 2 ft deep for
either direct view or rear projection (RPTV) CRT. And with the RPTV
CRTs, you have the drawbacks of a limited viewing angle and screen
brightness issues in daytime viewing if the room has windows.

From what I have learned on the net and observed from a lot of window
shopping these past few months, the better plasmas, such as Panasonic
and the Fujitsu, provide excellent all-around pictures while not
suffering from the sheer bulk, viewing angle and screen brightness
limitations of CRTs. But, even with the nice drop in plasma prices this
year, the 50" plasmas are still rather expensive. All a question of what
tradeoffs one is willing to live with.

Alan Figgatt

Java Jive

Semi-rubbish ...

"Grand Inquisitor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:SrMvc.20375$(E-Mail Removed)...

> CRT still provides the best picture

Rubbish, LCDs and plasmas have less distortion, and my LCDs have better
colour balance than any CRT that I can recall (and in response to another
reply can be viewed, albeit inevitably foreshortened, from an angle of 85
degrees to the side) ...

> for the lowest price

.... CRTs are certainly cheaper, so it comes down to whether you think the
improvements of a newer technology are worth the extra money.

When buying a TV, don't forget the simple basics, such as number of SCART
connections, whether RGB, etc.

To judge picture quality, try taking one or more DVDs (*1) with you round
the stores and ask to see them played on the most promising sets. This will
give you direct comparisons both between those in the shop and with your
current set at home, then make *your* decision on what *your* eyes (and your
wallet) tell you.

*1 Hire some if necessary - I'd suggest getting a good mix of 3 - 5:
underwater shots such as coral reef wildlife, action shots such as the
latest blockbuster that takes your fancy, landscape shots, sitcoms or
reality (to check normal flesh tones), sport, cartoons, etc.

---

Justin

Java Jive wrote on [Thu, 3 Jun 2004 22:45:35 +0100]:
> Semi-rubbish ...
>
> "Grand Inquisitor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:SrMvc.20375$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>> CRT still provides the best picture

> Rubbish, LCDs and plasmas have less distortion, and my LCDs have better
> colour balance than any CRT that I can recall (and in response to another
> reply can be viewed, albeit inevitably foreshortened, from an angle of 85
> degrees to the side) ...
>
>> for the lowest price

> ... CRTs are certainly cheaper, so it comes down to whether you think the
> improvements of a newer technology are worth the extra money.
>
> When buying a TV, don't forget the simple basics, such as number of SCART
> connections, whether RGB, etc.
>
> To judge picture quality, try taking one or more DVDs (*1) with you round
> the stores and ask to see them played on the most promising sets. This will
> give you direct comparisons both between those in the shop and with your
> current set at home, then make *your* decision on what *your* eyes (and your
> wallet) tell you.

This assumes the store models are properly calibrated, right?

Alan Figgatt

Paul, this is not an easy question to provide a short answer to and is
the topic of many a heated debate on places such as www.avsforum.com. I
am assuming you are asking about the direct view LCDs, BTW?

Which is better? Depends on how you intend to use it. For example, for
computer games, LCD is the better choice because of burn-in and
maybe pixel resolution for plasmas. Also, while the plasma are seen more
incremental improvements in screen quality, the new LCD TVS from Sharp
(Aquos line), Sony, Toshiba have improved a lot in screen quality in the
past year.

Short answer:
Plasma - Pro: better contrast, better black levels for the better
quality makes, no motion smear concerns, life span now up to a rated
50,000 to 60,000 hours to 1/2 brightness for the most recent generation,
overall best picture in my opinion, prices are dropping nicely.
Plasma - Con: burn-in a concern (some think it is overblown), pixel
resolution for the smaller models (42" HDs limited to 768x1024 or
1024x1024 Alis), power consumption, still pricey.

LCD - Pro: good pixel resolution, no burn-in concerns, improving picture
quality with each new model year.
LCD - Con: contrast still not as good as the better plasmas, motion
smear still present even with the new models, pixel "noise", still
very expensive in the larger sizes although prices are coming down.

If you are TV shopping, I would suggest you do some research on the
net. With all the alternate display technologies - CRT, Plasma, LCD, LCD
& DLP RPTVs - TV shopping will be complicated for the next few years.

Alan Figgatt

Paul Lefebvre wrote:

> Can someone please tell me what the difference is between a plasma and
> an LCD tv? (in just a few words please) and which one is better?
> thanks
>
> PL
>
> Paul Lefebvre
> plefebvre@*removethis*wwdc.com
> Visit my website!
> http://www.geocities.com/joeyp99

Java Jive

"Justin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)2go.com...

> This assumes the store models are properly calibrated, right?

Presumably, if all other things were equal, all the technologies would have
an equal chance of being badly calibrated, though it may well be that the
more expensive LCD and plasma technologies have more care lavished on them
at that stage. BTAIM, *if* they'll sell it to you which they may not, then
at least you know, because you've seen it, that you're happy with the one
you're buying.

---