Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > OT: 2 DVD copying questions

OT: 2 DVD copying questions

MauiJNP

I just got a DVD burner and now I want to make backup copies of my DVD
movies. I need a program to use to override the CSS protection. Any ideas?
I also want a AVI to DVD converter and a WMV to DVD converter. Any help
will be appreciated, especially the programs are free! Thanks in advance.

Padre

"MauiJNP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I just got a DVD burner and now I want to make backup copies of my DVD
> movies. I need a program to use to override the CSS protection. Any

ideas?
> I also want a AVI to DVD converter and a WMV to DVD converter. Any help
> will be appreciated, especially the programs are free! Thanks in advance.

To backup your DVD movies, I'd recommend DVD Shrink (latest version). It's
free and works great. For the other stuff, take a look at www.doom9.org ,
they have info on all sorts of convertors. www.dvdrhelp.com also has some.
All free.

Kevin

W.K.M.

On Sat, 29 May 2004 22:57:58 -0400, "MauiJNP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I just got a DVD burner and now I want to make backup copies of my DVD
>movies.

you do? why? Are you expecting something to happen to them? Wait, let me guess!
You have destructive kids that you can't control who destroy your discs!

> I need a program to use to override the CSS protection.

You NEED it? No you don't.

>Any ideas?

Yea, BUY duplicate copies if you're that worried about them. God knows they're cheap enough.
Unless there's another reason????

>I also want a AVI to DVD converter and a WMV to DVD converter. Any help
>will be appreciated, especially the programs are free! Thanks in advance.

Oh, yes, FREE by all means. That's ALL important. God forbid you'd PAY for anything!

Claire D. Lune

Rob

dvdshrink

"MauiJNP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I just got a DVD burner and now I want to make backup copies of my DVD
> movies. I need a program to use to override the CSS protection. Any

ideas?
> I also want a AVI to DVD converter and a WMV to DVD converter. Any help
> will be appreciated, especially the programs are free! Thanks in advance.

MauiJNP

"W.K.M." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 29 May 2004 22:57:58 -0400, "MauiJNP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >I just got a DVD burner and now I want to make backup copies of my DVD
> >movies.

> you do? why? Are you expecting something to happen to them? Wait, let

me guess!
> You have destructive kids that you can't control who destroy your discs!

Good guess but no.

> > I need a program to use to override the CSS protection.

> You NEED it? No you don't.

If I want to copy them, then YES, I do NEED one. I can not copy CSS
material without it.

> >Any ideas?

> Yea, BUY duplicate copies if you're that worried about them. God knows

they're cheap enough.
> Unless there's another reason????

Free is what an out of work (till my job starts) recent college graduate
(with over $100,000 in educational debt) can afford.

> >I also want a AVI to DVD converter and a WMV to DVD converter. Any help
> >will be appreciated, especially the programs are free! Thanks in

advance.

> Oh, yes, FREE by all means. That's ALL important. God forbid you'd PAY

for anything!

In the words of my favorite radio personality, "If it's free, it's for me."

Also, what's the sense of paying for something you can get for free?

MauiJNP

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"You're a judge, pretty much all you do
is sit back and watch other people work."

Judging Amy
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Padre" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "MauiJNP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I just got a DVD burner and now I want to make backup copies of my DVD
> > movies. I need a program to use to override the CSS protection. Any

> ideas?
> > I also want a AVI to DVD converter and a WMV to DVD converter. Any help
> > will be appreciated, especially the programs are free! Thanks in

advance.

> To backup your DVD movies, I'd recommend DVD Shrink (latest version). It's
> free and works great. For the other stuff, take a look at www.doom9.org ,
> they have info on all sorts of convertors. www.dvdrhelp.com also has some.
> All free.
>
> Kevin

THANKS! I will check out that program.

W.K.M.

On Sun, 30 May 2004 01:50:37 -0400, "MauiJNP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"W.K.M." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Sat, 29 May 2004 22:57:58 -0400, "MauiJNP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> >I just got a DVD burner and now I want to make backup copies of my DVD
>> >movies.

>> you do? why? Are you expecting something to happen to them? Wait, let

>me guess!
>> You have destructive kids that you can't control who destroy your discs!
>>

>Good guess but no.
>

>> > I need a program to use to override the CSS protection.

>> You NEED it? No you don't.
>>

>If I want to copy them, then YES, I do NEED one. I can not copy CSS
>material without it.

It's not about YOU! I don't wish to pay higher prices because you're too ****ing cheap to PAY for your
merchandise.

>> >Any ideas?

>> Yea, BUY duplicate copies if you're that worried about them. God knows

>they're cheap enough.
>> Unless there's another reason????
>>

>Free is what an out of work (till my job starts) recent college graduate
>(with over $100,000 in educational debt) can afford.

A so called college grad shouldn't be out of work. Go look for a job!

>> >I also want a AVI to DVD converter and a WMV to DVD converter. Any help
>> >will be appreciated, especially the programs are free! Thanks in

>advance.
>> >

>> Oh, yes, FREE by all means. That's ALL important. God forbid you'd PAY

>for anything!
>>

>In the words of my favorite radio personality, "If it's free, it's for me."
>
>Also, what's the sense of paying for something you can get for free?

Oh why indeed! the world is one big charity organization devoted just to you.

I think not, sonny. Quit being such a thief and figure out a way to BUY your goods!

Out of work college grad my ass....

Claire D. Lune

W.K.M.

On Sun, 30 May 2004 01:55:22 -0400, "MauiJNP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>"You're a judge, pretty much all you do
>is sit back and watch other people work."
>
>Judging Amy
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>"Padre" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "MauiJNP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > I just got a DVD burner and now I want to make backup copies of my DVD
>> > movies. I need a program to use to override the CSS protection. Any

>> ideas?
>> > I also want a AVI to DVD converter and a WMV to DVD converter. Any help
>> > will be appreciated, especially the programs are free! Thanks in

>advance.
>> >

>> To backup your DVD movies, I'd recommend DVD Shrink (latest version). It's
>> free and works great. For the other stuff, take a look at www.doom9.org ,
>> they have info on all sorts of convertors. www.dvdrhelp.com also has some.
>> All free.
>>
>> Kevin
>>

>THANKS! I will check out that program.

Yea, you do that.

Claire D. Lune

Rich Clark

"W.K.M." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 29 May 2004 22:57:58 -0400, "MauiJNP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >I just got a DVD burner and now I want to make backup copies of my DVD
> >movies.

> you do? why? Are you expecting something to happen to them? Wait, let

me guess!
> You have destructive kids that you can't control who destroy your discs!

While we all know "backing up my DVD's" is commonly a euphemism for "copying
other people's DVDs," it's still true that the ability to copy DVDs is
useful. With the cost of blanks so low, I routinely copy the discs I lend to
my son in North Carolina, so I don't have to mail him my originals. And I
often copy discs I borrow from the public library so that I can watch
series, like Hornblower or Six Feet Under, in proper order rather than in
the random order they become available there.

Am I breaking the law? Maybe so, but the copies go in the trash when we're
done with them, so the net result does no harm to the copyright holder, and
beyond that I don't really give a ****.

And I'll tell you something else: if you don't think the need to make
backups of "Finding Nemo" is legitimate if you have a 5-year old in the
house, then you're living in a childless world.

> > I need a program to use to override the CSS protection.

> You NEED it? No you don't.

Well, to make copies you do.

> Oh, yes, FREE by all means. That's ALL important. God forbid you'd PAY

for anything!

DVDShrink and DVD Decrypter are, in fact, free programs. It really would be
silly to buy something that does the same thing less well, although you
certainly are free to. There's quite a lot of good, legitimately free
software out there. It makes sense to look for it, don't you think?

RichC

Barry OGrady

"MauiJNP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I just got a DVD burner and now I want to make backup copies of my DVD
> movies. I need a program to use to override the CSS protection. Any ideas?
> I also want a AVI to DVD converter and a WMV to DVD converter. Any help
> will be appreciated, especially the programs are free! Thanks in advance.

Clone DVD with anyDVD.

-Barry
========