Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Co-existing HD video formats?

Co-existing HD video formats?

Grand Inquisitor

I've never seen anybody suggest this, but is it possible that we could
have different HD formats co-exist, the same way we have different sound
formats, just like Dolby Digital and DTS?
--
"Hey, I bet people will buy my ugly shirts if I put my name on them."
--Tommy Hilfiger

Grand Inquisitor

goldfgn@telus.net

On Sat, 29 May 2004 22:09:00 GMT, Grand Inquisitor
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I've never seen anybody suggest this, but is it possible that we could
>have different HD formats co-exist, the same way we have different sound
>formats, just like Dolby Digital and DTS?

The chip requires to decode DD and DTS is relatively cheap but to make
two HD formates co-exist in the same machine, you need different chips
and laser which won't be cheap at all.

Grand Inquisitor

> On Sat, 29 May 2004 22:09:00 GMT, Grand Inquisitor
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>I've never seen anybody suggest this, but is it possible that we could
>>have different HD formats co-exist, the same way we have different sound
>>formats, just like Dolby Digital and DTS?

> The chip requires to decode DD and DTS is relatively cheap but to make
> two HD formates co-exist in the same machine, you need different chips
> and laser which won't be cheap at all.

I don't see why a blue laser couldn't be used for both HD-DVD and a
WMV-encoded SD-DVD. Besides, the decoding chips would only be expensive
for a while. Once they become popular they'll go down in price fast.

--
"I like the cover: 'DON'T PANIC.' It's the first sensible thing I've
heard all day."

Grand Inquisitor