Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Verbatim Dual Layer

Verbatim Dual Layer

luminos

Apparently some reports of no media for DL drives was mistaken.

This site is taking pre-orders for Verbatim dual layer media:

http://www.americal.com/ct/double%20...d%20media.html

Mik DaDik

Why is it mistaken???

Your own comment says PRE-ORDER... ie they are NOT yeat available..

mik

luminos wrote:
> Apparently some reports of no media for DL drives was mistaken.
>
> This site is taking pre-orders for Verbatim dual layer media:
>
> http://www.americal.com/ct/double%20...d%20media.html

luminos

Original projections in the press suggested no discs generally available
until 2005, only the discs that came with the machines would be available in
June. So this is quite a change!

"Mik DaDik" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c9b1ob$2ris$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Why is it mistaken???
>
> Your own comment says PRE-ORDER... ie they are NOT yeat available..
>
> mik
>
> luminos wrote:
> > Apparently some reports of no media for DL drives was mistaken.
> >
> > This site is taking pre-orders for Verbatim dual layer media:
> >
> > http://www.americal.com/ct/double%20...d%20media.html

Z Man

"luminos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Original projections in the press suggested no discs generally available
> until 2005, only the discs that came with the machines would be available

in
> June. So this is quite a change!

Do these DVD recorders come with media? If so, is it r or rw media? I would
buy a dual layer recorder in a second, but I cannot find any currently
available media any place at any price. I cannot see a good reason to buy a
player without the media.

luminos

There are no DVD RW dual layer media. The recorders come with one media
piece.

The only change is that verbatim (that developed the media) is stating in
press (do a Google on Verbatim DVD-DL)
and now vendors are indicating on the web that media will ship in June.

"Z Man" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:46auc.496$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "luminos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Original projections in the press suggested no discs generally available
> > until 2005, only the discs that came with the machines would be

available
> in
> > June. So this is quite a change!

> Do these DVD recorders come with media? If so, is it r or rw media? I

would
> buy a dual layer recorder in a second, but I cannot find any currently
> available media any place at any price. I cannot see a good reason to buy

> player without the media.

Biz

"luminos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Apparently some reports of no media for DL drives was mistaken.
>
> This site is taking pre-orders for Verbatim dual layer media:
>
> http://www.americal.com/ct/double%20...d%20media.html

If its pre-orders, doesn't that mean no media still?

Z Man

"luminos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> There are no DVD RW dual layer media. The recorders come with one media
> piece.

Than it is VERY expensive. Non re-recordable media for over $5.50 is a bit
much, considering you can get standard DVD recordable media for well under
$1.00, and I can buy DVD+RW for under one dollar, as well.

.. I don't know if I would be willing to pay over five times the price for
twice the capacity. Any plans for dual layer RW media?

luminos

I don't believe they have found a reliable changeable dye at all. All the
scientific reports I have read rely on the light properties of a silver
nitrate layer between the two recording layers, and this dye is not
re-changeable---it is write once only.

"Z Man" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news%huc.2237$(E-Mail Removed) ...

> "luminos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > There are no DVD RW dual layer media. The recorders come with one media
> > piece.

> Than it is VERY expensive. Non re-recordable media for over $5.50 is a bit
> much, considering you can get standard DVD recordable media for well under
> $1.00, and I can buy DVD+RW for under one dollar, as well.
>
> . I don't know if I would be willing to pay over five times the price for
> twice the capacity. Any plans for dual layer RW media?

Dick Sidbury

Z Man wrote:
> "luminos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>There are no DVD RW dual layer media. The recorders come with one media
>>piece.

> Than it is VERY expensive. Non re-recordable media for over $5.50 is a bit
> much, considering you can get standard DVD recordable media for well under
> $1.00, and I can buy DVD+RW for under one dollar, as well.

I was struck just the opposite. A cost of between 5 and 6 dollars for
the very first disks seems to me far less than I would have expected.
Think back to the cose of the first DVD-R's. I think I remember them
being over 20 dollars each.

dick

luminos

"Dick Sidbury" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Z Man wrote:
> > "luminos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> >>There are no DVD RW dual layer media. The recorders come with one media
> >>piece.

> > Than it is VERY expensive. Non re-recordable media for over $5.50 is a

bit
> > much, considering you can get standard DVD recordable media for well

under
> > $1.00, and I can buy DVD+RW for under one dollar, as well.

> I was struck just the opposite. A cost of between 5 and 6 dollars for
> the very first disks seems to me far less than I would have expected.
> Think back to the cose of the first DVD-R's. I think I remember them
> being over 20 dollars each.
>
> dick

If this company keeps this price, I agree. They have already been released
in Japan and are selling for US $13.50 each there. Other reports suggested
upwards of $8 each, so I was surprised at the suggested price there.

I am more concerned about the reliability....commercial dual layer discs are
pretty flakey (sensitive in playback) compared to single layer.