Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Netflix vs. Blockbuster's Movie Pass

Netflix vs. Blockbuster's Movie Pass

Bootstrap Bill

Blockbuster has a new service that is similar to Netflix. $24.95 gets you
two movies at a time, $29.95 gets you three. A few bucks more than Netflix,
but for that you get the movies the same day, no three or four day turn
around for mail.

Does anyone in this group have any experience with Movie Pass?
--
"It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life hums along like a song.
But the man worth while is the man who can smile when

JWB

"Bootstrap Bill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsuvtc.20653$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Blockbuster has a new service that is similar to Netflix. $24.95 gets you
> two movies at a time, $29.95 gets you three. A few bucks more than

Netflix,
> but for that you get the movies the same day, no three or four day turn
> around for mail.
>
> Does anyone in this group have any experience with Movie Pass?
> --
> "It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life hums along like a song.
> But the man worth while is the man who can smile when
> everything goes dead wrong.".

Not enough selection. I find I get very bored with their selection quickly.
It's worthwhile if you have the summer off or something and want to do it
for two months.

Todd Copeland

I just got it today. I thought about it vs Netflix and I agree that Netflix
has about 5 times the movies that BB does but as you mentioned, BB is mch
quicker. I rented two movies this morning, returned them and got two more
just now. Netflix does not have that kind of turn around. I plan on keeping
the service just for 1 month and renting all the movies I want to see in
their stock. I will then cancel it as there just are not enough new movies
coming out that I want to see. I'm sure there are many families that rent
more then 7-8 movies a week and for them it's a great deal.

I must say... it was also pretty fun taking two movies up to the counter,
having $8 show up on the register and not having to pay a cent

"Bootstrap Bill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsuvtc.20653$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Blockbuster has a new service that is similar to Netflix. $24.95 gets you
> two movies at a time, $29.95 gets you three. A few bucks more than

Netflix,
> but for that you get the movies the same day, no three or four day turn
> around for mail.
>
> Does anyone in this group have any experience with Movie Pass?

Invid Fan

In article <cyvtc.144883$(E-Mail Removed)>, JWB
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Bootstrap Bill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> newsuvtc.20653$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Blockbuster has a new service that is similar to Netflix. $24.95 gets you
> > two movies at a time, $29.95 gets you three. A few bucks more than

> Netflix,
> > but for that you get the movies the same day, no three or four day turn
> > around for mail.
> >
> > Does anyone in this group have any experience with Movie Pass?
> > --
> > "It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life hums along like a song.
> > But the man worth while is the man who can smile when
> > everything goes dead wrong.".

> Not enough selection. I find I get very bored with their selection quickly.
> It's worthwhile if you have the summer off or something and want to do it
> for two months.

Very true, but it's a good deal for that short time.

BTW, is there any mailorder rental site that just rents by the disk,
instead of having a subscription?

-'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

Black Locust

In article <Duvtc.20653$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Bootstrap Bill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Blockbuster has a new service that is similar to Netflix. $24.95 gets you
> two movies at a time, $29.95 gets you three. A few bucks more than Netflix,
> but for that you get the movies the same day, no three or four day turn
> around for mail.
>
> Does anyone in this group have any experience with Movie Pass?

It's not exactly a new service. They've had it here in Fort Collins, CO
for over almost 2 years now as we were a test market. Overall, it's a
better deal than Netflix as there is zero turn around time. The only
real downside compared to Netflix is the limited selection of titles.
Want to rent the new Monster Club DVD? You can forget about it because
no Blockbuster's even stock it(at least not yet). However if all you
want is the new top 30 Hollywood junk, it's perfect for you. It's also
fun to go in there every night and laugh at the VHS bottom feeders that
frequent their stores.
--
BL

ky

Try Hollywood Video; they have similiar program going. 19.95 for 2
movies and 24.95 for 3 movies... great deal. Besides, Hollywood Video
has about 5x more selections than the shitty BB store.

"Todd Copeland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<37wtc.13960$(E-Mail Removed) link.net>...
> I just got it today. I thought about it vs Netflix and I agree that Netflix
> has about 5 times the movies that BB does but as you mentioned, BB is mch
> quicker. I rented two movies this morning, returned them and got two more
> just now. Netflix does not have that kind of turn around. I plan on keeping
> the service just for 1 month and renting all the movies I want to see in
> their stock. I will then cancel it as there just are not enough new movies
> coming out that I want to see. I'm sure there are many families that rent
> more then 7-8 movies a week and for them it's a great deal.
>
> I must say... it was also pretty fun taking two movies up to the counter,
> having $8 show up on the register and not having to pay a cent
>
> "Bootstrap Bill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> newsuvtc.20653$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Blockbuster has a new service that is similar to Netflix. $24.95 gets you
> > two movies at a time, $29.95 gets you three. A few bucks more than

> Netflix,
> > but for that you get the movies the same day, no three or four day turn
> > around for mail.
> >
> > Does anyone in this group have any experience with Movie Pass?

Invid Fan

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >, ky
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Try Hollywood Video; they have similiar program going. 19.95 for 2
> movies and 24.95 for 3 movies... great deal. Besides, Hollywood Video
> has about 5x more selections than the shitty BB store.

That's going to depend on location, isn't it? Locally they're both
about the same, size wise, although HV has cut into their video floor
space with those video game mini-stores.

-'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

Joe Kaffe

"Bootstrap Bill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsuvtc.20653$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Blockbuster has a new service that is similar to Netflix. $24.95 gets you
> two movies at a time, $29.95 gets you three. A few bucks more than

Netflix,
> but for that you get the movies the same day, no three or four day turn
> around for mail.

Considering Netflix is raising prices June 15, I'm going to give the
Blockbuster Movie Pass a try. I'll most likely flip-flop between the two...
Netflix for those movies Blockbuster doesn't, and won't ever have, and
Blockbuster for newer releases.

My switching won't be motived strictly by price, but rather because the
turn-around time with Netflix has been gradually creeping upward. Right now,
I'm waiting for replacements for movies returned (dropped in the mailbox) on
Thursday, May 20th. According to Netflix, the replacements are scheduled to
be delivered on Saturday, May 29th. If they aren't delivered on schedule,
I'll have to wait until Tuesday's delivery!

Joe Kaffe

"ky" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Try Hollywood Video; they have similiar program going. 19.95 for 2
> movies and 24.95 for 3 movies... great deal. Besides, Hollywood Video
> has about 5x more selections than the shitty BB store.

You must be in a test maket. I just called Hollywood Video and they have no
such program in Las Vegas... wish they did. With Blockbuster Movie Pass in
effect here as of this week, I'd expect Hollywood Video to follow suit soon,
or suffer loss of maket share.

"Joe Kaffe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> "ky" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > Try Hollywood Video; they have similiar program going. 19.95 for 2
> > movies and 24.95 for 3 movies... great deal. Besides, Hollywood Video
> > has about 5x more selections than the shitty BB store.

> You must be in a test maket. I just called Hollywood Video and they have

no
> such program in Las Vegas... wish they did. With Blockbuster Movie Pass in
> effect here as of this week, I'd expect Hollywood Video to follow suit

soon,
> or suffer loss of maket share.

I'm in Huntington Beach, California. The local Hollywood Video doesn't have
it.

Has there been any talk about a possible broadband service where you can
watch all the movies you want online for one price?