Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Day After dvd - Keep the laserdisc if you have it

Day After dvd - Keep the laserdisc if you have it

TB

I haven't read anything here about the "Day After" dvd release and just
picked it up over the weekend. Why did MGM issue it as a zoom-boxed
fullscreen version? When it's compared to the widescreen laserdisc, you
can tell image info is missing on all four sides which really constricts
the picture in a lot of scenes. At laest it appears to be the extended cut.

T.B.

Mark B.

"TB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I haven't read anything here about the "Day After" dvd release and just
> picked it up over the weekend. Why did MGM issue it as a zoom-boxed
> fullscreen version? When it's compared to the widescreen laserdisc, you
> can tell image info is missing on all four sides which really constricts
> the picture in a lot of scenes. At laest it appears to be the extended

cut.

> T.B.

Wasn't this originally a TV movie, in which case 4:3 would be correct?

Mark

TB

Mark B. wrote:
> "TB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>I haven't read anything here about the "Day After" dvd release and just
>>picked it up over the weekend. Why did MGM issue it as a zoom-boxed
>>fullscreen version? When it's compared to the widescreen laserdisc, you
>>can tell image info is missing on all four sides which really constricts
>>the picture in a lot of scenes. At laest it appears to be the extended

> cut.
>
>>T.B.

> Wasn't this originally a TV movie, in which case 4:3 would be correct?

Yes, but it featured a *lot* more picture information on all four sides
then the current release which appears to have been matted from the
widescreen version released theatrically in Europe which exposed a
little more info on the sides then the original broadcast tv version.

T.B.

Non

On Wed, 26 May 2004 20:01:32 GMT, TB <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I haven't read anything here about the "Day After" dvd release and just
>picked it up over the weekend. Why did MGM issue it as a zoom-boxed
>fullscreen version? When it's compared to the widescreen laserdisc, you
>can tell image info is missing on all four sides which really constricts
>the picture in a lot of scenes. At laest it appears to be the extended cut.
>
>T.B.

My laserdisk is fullscreen.

Dave Garrett

says...
> On Wed, 26 May 2004 20:01:32 GMT, TB <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:

> >I haven't read anything here about the "Day After" dvd release and just
> >picked it up over the weekend. Why did MGM issue it as a zoom-boxed
> >fullscreen version? When it's compared to the widescreen laserdisc, you
> >can tell image info is missing on all four sides which really constricts
> >the picture in a lot of scenes. At laest it appears to be the extended cut.
> >
> >T.B.

> My laserdisk is fullscreen.

You have the older LD. There was a later, remastered one that was
widescreen.

Dave

Mike Kohary

Dave Garrett wrote:
> says...
>> On Wed, 26 May 2004 20:01:32 GMT, TB <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:

>>> I haven't read anything here about the "Day After" dvd release and
>>> just picked it up over the weekend. Why did MGM issue it as a
>>> zoom-boxed fullscreen version? When it's compared to the widescreen
>>> laserdisc, you can tell image info is missing on all four sides
>>> which really constricts the picture in a lot of scenes. At laest it
>>> appears to be the extended cut.
>>>
>>> T.B.

>> My laserdisk is fullscreen.

> You have the older LD. There was a later, remastered one that was
> widescreen.

Am I thinking of the same movie? This was a made-for-TV movie, wasn't it?

Mike

TB

Mike Kohary wrote:
> Dave Garrett wrote:
>
>>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
>>says...

>>>My laserdisk is fullscreen.

>>You have the older LD. There was a later, remastered one that was
>>widescreen.

> Am I thinking of the same movie? This was a made-for-TV movie, wasn't it?

Yes, it was originally premiered on tv cropped for fullscreen in the US
but it was shown theatrically letterboxed with a much better picture
composition and an additional 17 minutes worth of footage in Europe.

T.B.

Mike Kohary

TB wrote:
> Mike Kohary wrote:
>>
>> Am I thinking of the same movie? This was a made-for-TV movie,
>> wasn't it?

> Yes, it was originally premiered on tv cropped for fullscreen in the
> US but it was shown theatrically letterboxed with a much better
> picture composition and an additional 17 minutes worth of footage in
> Europe.

Was it cropped for TV, or matted for the theater? How do you know for sure?

Mike

TB

Mike Kohary wrote:
> TB wrote:
>
>>Mike Kohary wrote:
>>
>>>Am I thinking of the same movie? This was a made-for-TV movie,
>>>wasn't it?

>>Yes, it was originally premiered on tv cropped for fullscreen in the
>>US but it was shown theatrically letterboxed with a much better
>>picture composition and an additional 17 minutes worth of footage in
>>Europe.

> Was it cropped for TV, or matted for the theater? How do you know for sure?

By comparing the first issue of this movie on laserdisc which was
fullscreen, to the remastered, extended version on laserdisc to the just
released dvd. I have all three releases. I picked up both laserdisc
versions over the last few years used for only a few bucks each.

T.B.

Mike Kohary

TB wrote:
> Mike Kohary wrote:
>> TB wrote:

>>> Yes, it was originally premiered on tv cropped for fullscreen in the
>>> US but it was shown theatrically letterboxed with a much better
>>> picture composition and an additional 17 minutes worth of footage in
>>> Europe.

>> Was it cropped for TV, or matted for the theater? How do you know
>> for sure?

> By comparing the first issue of this movie on laserdisc which was
> fullscreen, to the remastered, extended version on laserdisc to the
> just released dvd. I have all three releases. I picked up both
> laserdisc versions over the last few years used for only a few bucks
> each.
>
> T.B.

How confusing. So, the remastered extended widescreen laserdisc
presents the most picture, with the first laserdisc being cropped from that,
and the new DVD being cropped to letterbox from the first laserdisc?

Mike