Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > DVDs with THX calibration procedures?

DVDs with THX calibration procedures?

Nic

Hi,

Which DVDs have a THX calibration/setup procedure
on the DVD? (ie. THX Optimode)

(Many DVDs are THX certified - many of these,
however, have no THX calibration procedure.)

Currently the only THX calibration that I have seen
was on the "Manhunter" DVD. It had video and audio
calibration. Are there any more DVDs with such
procedures? A list of such titles would be nice
to have at hand for reference.

I've checked this link
http://www.thx.com/mod/products/dvdFind.html
but it just lists THX certified DVDs, with
no indication which ones have THX calibration
procedures.

--

Nic.

Mike Kohary

Nic wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Which DVDs have a THX calibration/setup procedure
> on the DVD? (ie. THX Optimode)
>
> (Many DVDs are THX certified - many of these,
> however, have no THX calibration procedure.)
>
> Currently the only THX calibration that I have seen
> was on the "Manhunter" DVD. It had video and audio
> calibration. Are there any more DVDs with such
> procedures? A list of such titles would be nice
> to have at hand for reference.
>
> I've checked this link
> http://www.thx.com/mod/products/dvdFind.html
> but it just lists THX certified DVDs, with
> no indication which ones have THX calibration
> procedures.

Not sure if it's the official THX calibration, but Star Wars Episode 2 has a
calibration sequence on it.

Mike

Mark W

"Nic" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Hi,
>
> Which DVDs have a THX calibration/setup procedure
> on the DVD? (ie. THX Optimode)

'Finding Nemo' has a THX calibration which takes you through sound and
vision, test cards, etc. It's quite comprehensive!

Hyde

"Mike Kohary" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

| Not sure if it's the official THX calibration, but Star Wars Episode 2 has a
| calibration sequence on it.

THX being a Lucas company and all, I think there's a really good
chance that the THX OPTIMIZER in the Star Wars DVDs is the official
one.

Hyde
-
"Ad hoc, ad loc and quid pro quo…
so little time, so much to know!".
~ Jeremy Hillary Boop ~

Joshua Zyber

"Nic" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Which DVDs have a THX calibration/setup procedure
> on the DVD? (ie. THX Optimode)

THX Optimode is inherently flawed in its design. The test patterns
encoded on any two movie titles are likely to be wildly different from
one another.

You are better off buying a dedicated calibration disc. Both Digital
Video Essential and the Sound & Vision Home Theater Tune-Up can be
purchased for under $20.

Steve(JazzHunter)

On Wed, 26 May 2004 22:50:00 GMT, "Joshua Zyber"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Nic" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed) n...
>> Which DVDs have a THX calibration/setup procedure
>> on the DVD? (ie. THX Optimode)

>THX Optimode is inherently flawed in its design. The test patterns
>encoded on any two movie titles are likely to be wildly different from
>one another.
>
>You are better off buying a dedicated calibration disc. Both Digital
>Video Essential and the Sound & Vision Home Theater Tune-Up can be
>purchased for under $20.

That's true, however I will add that T2, both versions, has a very
accurate Optimode calibration setup.

. Steve .

Grand Inquisitor

Nic wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Which DVDs have a THX calibration/setup procedure
> on the DVD? (ie. THX Optimode)
>
> (Many DVDs are THX certified - many of these,
> however, have no THX calibration procedure.)

I think you may not be looking hard enough. Every THX DVD should have it.

You're better off with a real calibration disc anyway, a cheap (and very
good) one is Digital Video Essentials, which is the latest in a series
that goes back to A Video Standard, the first calibration LD for
consumers. Try buying it online, it's about 17 bucks.
www.deepdiscountdvd.com

--
"Hey, I bet people will buy my ugly shirts if I put my name on them."
--Tommy Hilfiger

Grand Inquisitor

Grand Inquisitor

Joshua Zyber wrote:

> "Nic" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
>
>>Which DVDs have a THX calibration/setup procedure
>>on the DVD? (ie. THX Optimode)

> THX Optimode is inherently flawed in its design. The test patterns
> encoded on any two movie titles are likely to be wildly different from
> one another.

I believe Home Theater magazine confronted this rumor and said that
according to their info, it wasn't true. However, what you said here is
definitely true:

> You are better off buying a dedicated calibration disc. Both Digital
> Video Essential and the Sound & Vision Home Theater Tune-Up can be
> purchased for under $20.

I bought DVE for 17 bucks on Deep Discount, and I wouldn't be without it.

--
"Hey, I bet people will buy my ugly shirts if I put my name on them."
--Tommy Hilfiger

Grand Inquisitor

Joshua Zyber

"Grand Inquisitor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ETatc.9282$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > THX Optimode is inherently flawed in its design. The test patterns
> > encoded on any two movie titles are likely to be wildly different

from
> > one another.

> I believe Home Theater magazine confronted this rumor and said that
> according to their info, it wasn't true.

It is true. I've experienced it for myself. The Optimode patterns on
Manhunter, for example, are very different from those on Attack of the
Clones.

This is the same THX organization, remember, who thought that the
original DVD release of Highlander was a fine product worthy of their
stamp of approval, and who still continue to edge enhance the hell out
of their DVD masters (the thick, bright ringing halos throughout their
master of Tombstone are unwatchable on a large screen).

Grand Inquisitor

Joshua Zyber wrote:

> "Grand Inquisitor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:ETatc.9282$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>>THX Optimode is inherently flawed in its design. The test patterns
>>>encoded on any two movie titles are likely to be wildly different

> from
>
>>>one another.

>>I believe Home Theater magazine confronted this rumor and said that
>>according to their info, it wasn't true.

> It is true. I've experienced it for myself. The Optimode patterns on
> Manhunter, for example, are very different from those on Attack of the
> Clones.
>
> This is the same THX organization, remember, who thought that the
> original DVD release of Highlander was a fine product worthy of their
> stamp of approval, and who still continue to edge enhance the hell out
> of their DVD masters (the thick, bright ringing halos throughout their
> master of Tombstone are unwatchable on a large screen).

Well, the problem is that THX has rigorous standards, except these
standards pertain to only a few aspects of a good transfer, and they
totally ignore important things like a TOTAL LACK OF EDGE ENHANCEMENT.