Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy DVD Box Set

The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy DVD Box Set

Cernovog

On Tue, 25 May 2004 19:53:19 -0400, TSKO wrote
(in message <P%Qsc.677$(E-Mail Removed)>):

> I myself have both the theatrical and
> extended (being the big fan I am)

Could you explaining your reasoning behind this, TSKO? This always boggles
me. If you own the extended, why would you possibly want the cut theaterical
versions? Did you actually want to own both versions, or is it because you
were so incredibly impatient (no offense intended) that you just couldn't
wait for the extended DVDs and bought the theaterical version to tide you
over?

I know that many people, most who are not fans of the books, prefer the
shorter theaterical versions, but to own both? I never understood this.

JWB

"Cernovog" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> On Tue, 25 May 2004 19:53:19 -0400, TSKO wrote
> (in message <P%Qsc.677$(E-Mail Removed)>):
>
> > I myself have both the theatrical and
> > extended (being the big fan I am)

> Could you explaining your reasoning behind this, TSKO? This always boggles
> me. If you own the extended, why would you possibly want the cut

theaterical
> versions? Did you actually want to own both versions, or is it because you
> were so incredibly impatient (no offense intended) that you just couldn't
> wait for the extended DVDs and bought the theaterical version to tide you
> over?
>
> I know that many people, most who are not fans of the books, prefer the
> shorter theaterical versions, but to own both? I never understood this.

Not knocking it, but I don't really understand it either. After watching the
extended versions of the first two films, I have no desire to ever see the
theatrical versions again. Maybe the guy is a huge fan and wants both
versions just to "have" them?

I did buy the theatrical of each (because i was impatient), and later sold
them on ebay for about $7 when the extended version of each came out.
Considering I paid about $15 for each, I essentially got a 6-month rental
for $8

Mike Kohary

Cernovog wrote:
> On Tue, 25 May 2004 19:53:19 -0400, TSKO wrote
> (in message <P%Qsc.677$(E-Mail Removed)>):
>
>> I myself have both the theatrical and
>> extended (being the big fan I am)

> Could you explaining your reasoning behind this, TSKO? This always
> boggles me. If you own the extended, why would you possibly want the
> cut theaterical versions? Did you actually want to own both versions,
> or is it because you were so incredibly impatient (no offense
> intended) that you just couldn't wait for the extended DVDs and
> bought the theaterical version to tide you over?

Answering for myself (I also buy both), I intentionally want to own both,
because they're two different movies.

Mike

Justin

Mike Kohary wrote on [Fri, 28 May 2004 08:34:52 -0700]:
> Cernovog wrote:
>> On Tue, 25 May 2004 19:53:19 -0400, TSKO wrote
>> (in message <P%Qsc.677$(E-Mail Removed)>):
>>
>>> I myself have both the theatrical and
>>> extended (being the big fan I am)

>> Could you explaining your reasoning behind this, TSKO? This always
>> boggles me. If you own the extended, why would you possibly want the
>> cut theaterical versions? Did you actually want to own both versions,
>> or is it because you were so incredibly impatient (no offense
>> intended) that you just couldn't wait for the extended DVDs and
>> bought the theaterical version to tide you over?

> Answering for myself (I also buy both), I intentionally want to own both,
> because they're two different movies.

They are different movies, the special features are also different.

Wade365

When it comes to something I love like Godzilla, I own the Japanese (R2)
version, the usually shoddy US release, and with the most recent films I also
have the Hong Kong (R3) release... the R2s are for the authentic domestic
release (including artwork, etc.), without any tampering or editting, the R3s
are for the subtitle option in case I want to follow along word-for-word, and
of course I have no idea why I bother to buy the dubbed US releases... probably
just habit at that point or to have a version of the film I can take on my
travels (which I do 250 days out of the year for business).

I like having the "different" versions, even though some aren't all that
different at all. It's called an interest or, at a stretch, "hobby".

Personally I can see the sense in both sides of this... although I got rid of
my "Fellowship" DVD as soon as I knew about the extended versions and I haven't
bothered with the subsequent cinema-cut releases. When I saw what they did to
"Two Towers", I was amazed. They put back all of the stuff I thought was
missing when I went to the theater to see it, so I'm really looking forward to
the extend-o of "King" and, as someone already posted, I have no interest in
seeing the editted cinema version ever again because of that fact.

It's sort of like the recent special edition DVDs with a plaster bust (as with
the Universal Monsters Legacy set) or the nasty little statue of Gollum, etc.
that came with the "Rings" DVD awhile back... do you really want that in your
living room?

Some folks (a lot, actually) did.

Not ME, but then I don't have room for it with all of my Godzilla crap.

: )

But thankfully for some out there, they DO offer it... and because of the great
protector known as Democracy (or something close to it) I have a choice, and so
do you.

"Bless The Mess OF Fandom Diversity!"

Paul C.

Cernovog <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) om:

> I know that many people, most who are not fans of the books,

prefer
> the shorter theaterical versions, but to own both? I never

understood
> this.

What's the big deal ? It's not that expensive to own both anyway.
You even get a coupon for money back when you buy the extended
version. ($8 off in Canada). Hell the price of the DVD even in
Canada isn't much more than two adult admissions to a movie which is
over in 2 hours & then you have nothing but the memories.

Nomen Nescio

On Fri, 28 May 2004 02:00:11 GMT, "JWB" <(E-Mail Removed) actually, my
e-mail is jwb3333 at excite dot com> wrote:

>"Cernovog" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed). com...
>> On Tue, 25 May 2004 19:53:19 -0400, TSKO wrote
>> (in message <P%Qsc.677$(E-Mail Removed)>):
>>
>> > I myself have both the theatrical and
>> > extended (being the big fan I am)

>> Could you explaining your reasoning behind this, TSKO? This always boggles
>> me. If you own the extended, why would you possibly want the cut

>theaterical
>> versions? Did you actually want to own both versions, or is it because you
>> were so incredibly impatient (no offense intended) that you just couldn't
>> wait for the extended DVDs and bought the theaterical version to tide you
>> over?
>>
>> I know that many people, most who are not fans of the books, prefer the
>> shorter theaterical versions, but to own both? I never understood this.
>>

>Not knocking it, but I don't really understand it either. After watching the
>extended versions of the first two films, I have no desire to ever see the
>theatrical versions again. Maybe the guy is a huge fan and wants both
>versions just to "have" them?
>
>I did buy the theatrical of each (because i was impatient), and later sold
>them on ebay for about $7 when the extended version of each came out.
>Considering I paid about $15 for each, I essentially got a 6-month rental
>for $8

In this case, I think there are a few extras on the theatrical version that
are missing on the extended editions. At least, I remember hearing
somthing to that effect when the first sets were released.

Mark B.

"Cernovog" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> On Tue, 25 May 2004 19:53:19 -0400, TSKO wrote
> (in message <P%Qsc.677$(E-Mail Removed)>):
>
> > I myself have both the theatrical and
> > extended (being the big fan I am)

> Could you explaining your reasoning behind this, TSKO? This always boggles
> me. If you own the extended, why would you possibly want the cut

theaterical
> versions? Did you actually want to own both versions, or is it because you
> were so incredibly impatient (no offense intended) that you just couldn't
> wait for the extended DVDs and bought the theaterical version to tide you
> over?
>
> I know that many people, most who are not fans of the books, prefer the
> shorter theaterical versions, but to own both? I never understood this.

The extras are different on both releases. For fans who are just as
interested in how the movies are made, I don't see a problem. What boggles
me is folks who regularly purchase a DVD w/o having seen the movie. But to
each his own.

Mark

JWB

"Nomen Nescio" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 28 May 2004 02:00:11 GMT, "JWB" <(E-Mail Removed) actually, my
> e-mail is jwb3333 at excite dot com> wrote:
>
> >"Cernovog" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed). com...
> >> On Tue, 25 May 2004 19:53:19 -0400, TSKO wrote
> >> (in message <P%Qsc.677$(E-Mail Removed)>):

> >> Could you explaining your reasoning behind this, TSKO? This always

boggles
> >> me. If you own the extended, why would you possibly want the cut

> >theaterical
> >> versions? Did you actually want to own both versions, or is it because

you
> >> were so incredibly impatient (no offense intended) that you just

couldn't
> >> wait for the extended DVDs and bought the theaterical version to tide

you
> >> over?
> >>
> >> I know that many people, most who are not fans of the books, prefer the
> >> shorter theaterical versions, but to own both? I never understood this.
> >>

> >Not knocking it, but I don't really understand it either. After watching

the
> >extended versions of the first two films, I have no desire to ever see

the
> >theatrical versions again. Maybe the guy is a huge fan and wants both
> >versions just to "have" them?
> >
> >I did buy the theatrical of each (because i was impatient), and later

sold
> >them on ebay for about $7 when the extended version of each came out.
> >Considering I paid about $15 for each, I essentially got a 6-month rental
> >for $8
> >

> In this case, I think there are a few extras on the theatrical version

that
> are missing on the extended editions. At least, I remember hearing
> somthing to that effect when the first sets were released.

Oh, that's right! I forgot about that. The extras weren't duplicated. Ok, so
it's easy to see why someone, especially a fan, would want both in their col
lection.

JWB

"Mark B." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Cernovog" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > On Tue, 25 May 2004 19:53:19 -0400, TSKO wrote
> > (in message <P%Qsc.677$(E-Mail Removed)>):
> >
> > > I myself have both the theatrical and
> > > extended (being the big fan I am)

> > Could you explaining your reasoning behind this, TSKO? This always

boggles
> > me. If you own the extended, why would you possibly want the cut

> theaterical
> > versions? Did you actually want to own both versions, or is it because

you
> > were so incredibly impatient (no offense intended) that you just

couldn't
> > wait for the extended DVDs and bought the theaterical version to tide

you
> > over?
> >
> > I know that many people, most who are not fans of the books, prefer the
> > shorter theaterical versions, but to own both? I never understood this.
> >

> The extras are different on both releases. For fans who are just as
> interested in how the movies are made, I don't see a problem. What

boggles
> me is folks who regularly purchase a DVD w/o having seen the movie. But

> each his own.

I admit I buy lots of DVD's of movies I have not seen. I'd say one third of
my collection (300+) was bought without first seeing the movie. For me, it
kind of replaces the theater - I never go to the theater anymore (too many
idiots). I rent movies I just want to "see" (like "Wrong Turn" or "Scary
Movie 27"), but if it's a movie I'm pretty sure I'll want to own (like X-Men
2 or Kill Bill Vol. 1), I buy it. I'd say my perception (that I'd like it
enough to own it) is right about 80% of the time.

FA: Star Wars Trilogy Box Set 4 5 6 DVD Phantom Menace lot dvd9@excite.com DVD Video 1 05-14-2006 09:35 PM
Best Lord of the Rings box set? asahitoro@nospam.com DVD Video 10 06-24-2005 07:35 AM
Sales for The Lord of the Rings - The Motion Picture Trilogy (Special Extended DVD Edition) [12 DVDs]? ANTant@zimage.com DVD Video 7 12-19-2004 09:26 AM
DIE HARD TRILOGY BOX SET IQ DVD Video 3 10-08-2004 07:26 PM
Lord of the Rings: The Deluxe Trilogy Boxed DVD Set? Modemac DVD Video 17 12-29-2003 02:39 AM

Advertisments