Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > DVD-RAM for HD backup

DVD-RAM for HD backup

Daniel Prince

Is DVD-RAM, used without a caddy, sufficiently reliable for backing up
the data on a hard drive, if it used in a home where no one smokes? I
am interested in buying the LG drive. If you have used this drive, or
another DVD-RAM that does not use caddies, to backup your hard drive,
please tell me what drive you used and how well it worked. I want to
know how reliable the backups were and how many times you were able to
rewrite the discs.

If DVD-RAM, used without a caddy is not sufficiently reliable for
backing up the data on a hard drive, are there any under $250 (US)
DVD-RAM caddy drives that will also write to DVD-R and DVD+R? Thank you
in advance for all replies.
--
Whenever I hear or think of the song "Great green gobs of greasy
grimey gopher guts" I imagine my cat saying; "That sounds REALLY,

Sounds Like A Porsche

"Daniel Prince" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is DVD-RAM, used without a caddy, sufficiently reliable for backing up
> the data on a hard drive, if it used in a home where no one smokes? I

I use the LG4040B. Six months. Back up to the Ram Disc using Windows
Backup (Win 2k). With the Ram Driver installed Windows treats it as a
Removable Disk. Great stuff in my book. recovered some files only one time
so far. Seems to work as advertised.

I have 2 cats (I'm talking hair everywhere), 2 Yorkie dogs, not much hair
loss here but they have long hair and do bring in the 'back yard' every time
the go out... which is often in the summer. I smoke.

I suppose the drive will explode some day with the filthy air it has to suck
in.

You should see the cats race around in a 'sun beam'. In fact when a 'sun
beam' hits one of your windows near your couch... well give the couch a good
smack. Another good way is to just take your computer cover off and have a
look inside to see how much dust is in there.

Dave

Alan Pollock

In rec.video.dvd.tech Sounds Like A Porsche <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Daniel Prince" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Is DVD-RAM, used without a caddy, sufficiently reliable for backing up
> > the data on a hard drive, if it used in a home where no one smokes? I

I use dvd-ram discs without caddies all the time. While with dvd-rw discs
every ten or so extensive writes I'd have to reformat, with the fat32 rams,
well, they just keep on chugging, on and on and on.

Some say it's the difference between packet-writing (dvd-rw) and fat32
(dvd-ram) rather than the actual medium. Other speak of built-in insurances on
the ram discs. I don't know where cumquats come from either; you see me
worrying?

Moreover, how often will you be fooling with backup discs anyway? Unless you
do incremental, which in my view would work fine on fat32 rams too. Or you
could do a mixture, like a full backup on -r discs once a month or two, then
incrementals on the dvd-rams.

I use dvd-rams to move stuff between machines in different locations (got a
usb2 ram-drive), so I handle them frequently. Not one prob yet.

So either way I'd say sure, caddies are always best, but if you're careful raw
ram discs should be fine for backup. Nex

Phil Leonard

In article ID <c8t85f$t2k$(E-Mail Removed)>, Alan Pollock <(E-Mail Removed)>
writes:

>I use dvd-ram discs without caddies all the time. While with dvd-rw discs
>every ten or so extensive writes I'd have to reformat, with the fat32 rams,
>well, they just keep on chugging, on and on and on.
>
>Some say it's the difference between packet-writing (dvd-rw) and fat32
>(dvd-ram) rather than the actual medium. Other speak of built-in insurances on
>the ram discs. I don't know where cumquats come from either; you see me
>worrying?

Of course, if you format DVD-RAM discs as UDF 2.x, you can use them with XP
drag 'n drop "AND" your stand alone video recorder. Works great for
transferring DVD recordings to the PC, with or without a cartridge.